Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was surprised by the move yesterday to cut rates which saw a big drop in the loonie. I have over 15 years working for some of the top banks in the US and while I mainly just work with stocks and never trade any currencies it was still a surprise to see. So how does this relate to the Habs and the salary cap for next season, it was tweeted today that teams are being told that the cap won't go below 71M next year.

Last edited:

HabsDieHard*

Doesn't Beaulieu's contract end this year as well?

Yup.

I think the 71 figure is one the Habs can easily work within, other teams are in pretty bad shape but Montreal can bridge Beaulieu and Galchenyuk and clear up some space in a Desharnais or Emelin deal if need be.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Doesn't Beaulieu's contract end this year as well?

fixed, thanks

I think the 71 figure is one the Habs can easily work within, other teams are in pretty bad shape but Montreal can bridge Beaulieu and Galchenyuk and clear up some space in a Desharnais or Emelin deal if need be.

agreed, since the Habs don't have much outside of Galchenyuk that they have to worry about in terms of getting inked that could cost a lot depending on how they go. Not sure what the free agent market will look like in the off-season as the Habs will likely have some holes on the blueline depending of course if anything happens before the trade deadline or the off-season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Several of these RFAs, I would let go without any remorse.

Most should be back, I'd assume. Bowman, Tangradi, Ellis, maybe Dumont could be gone as my guess.

Im pretty sure that's how much he making now with bonuses.

he makes 925K + he has a 2.3M performance bonus

Curious to see how much Chucky gets. Is 3 million reasonable or too much?

No not too much, but it depends if they will give him a short term deal now and then give him a long term deal ala Subban. I just hope he's here for a long time.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Galchenyuk bonuses may reach 2.3M but he's not fulfilling all his bonus targets. 3M/yr sounds about right for 2 years.

We won't be in trouble but if we don't find a way to trade Emelin, we won't be signing a top 4 RD.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I think that Galchenyuk will get a lot more than 3 Mil a year... Something towards 4.5 is probably what he's going to be asking, as for letting go of the RFA's, I can see Ellis, and maybe Bowman. But that's about it. I think Tangradi could be a good 4th line player in the future.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Chucky get 4.25M per year, on a 2yr deal..........and then after that, cashes in!!

He won't get that much.

I remember how so many on these forums used to say "no worries, with the salary cap going up we can afford to pay X to player Y". :)

Last edited by a moderator:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I remember how so many on these forums used to say "no worries, with the salary cap going up we can afford to pay X to player Y". :)

Ya I never understood it either since the cap is link to revenue and the revenue increase because of the CAN$ and the TV deal now that the TV deal are basically set long term, the CAN$ couldn't stay on par for ever since we depend on the US economie. I don't see where those increase would come from there is already a ton of outdoor games...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
American athletes being paid in US funds will be happy with our loonie losing a ton. I know I'm not, as my business is all US travel-related...

Isn't the cap calculated in US$?

Ya I never understood it either since the cap is link to revenue and the revenue increase because of the CAN$ and the TV deal now that the TV deal are basically set long term, the CAN$ couldn't stay on par for ever since we depend on the US economie. I don't see where those increase would come from there is already a ton of outdoor games...

That's the problem - the CAN$ sunk lower than expected, which will lower overall league revenues because the big piece of the pie coming from Canada is worth less in USD. The Rogers deal and increased ticket sales may compensate for a lower loonie, but if not the cap could stay at $69M.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I would skip the bridge contract with Chucky if we can sign him on a similar deal to Patches.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would skip the bridge contract with Chucky if we can sign him on a similar deal to Patches.

Agree. If we can get him for $4-5M for 5 years+ I'd do it. Seeing as he himself doesn't feel comfortable at centre yet, I doubt he makes a fuss and asks for more than that. Mind you, seeing what happened with Patches might be a cause for concern for him too.

All in all, most of the UFA's on that list were traded for to get rid of cap space for next year. Habs will be in a great position to resign our RFA's and have space left over for a couple more UFA's or a top tier scorer.

Most teams didn't do anything to get under the cap as they're making a run this year. There will be a lot of very good players available next year via trade that we can move on. The draft this year should be very interesting as the cap was said to be between $71 -73M BEFORE the collapse in oil. If it's at $71M than whoa, teams will have to make some very uncomfortable decisions.

Edit* Article on the subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think that Galchenyuk will get a lot more than 3 Mil a year... Something towards 4.5 is probably what he's going to be asking, as for letting go of the RFA's, I can see Ellis, and maybe Bowman. But that's about it. I think Tangradi could be a good 4th line player in the future.

it depends on the amount of years, will he get a long term contract or a short term? I am guessing short term so I would be surprised if he got 4.5 on the short term but I guess we'll see what they opt to do. As for Tangradi, I would let him go, try to find someone better.

Isn't the cap calculated in US$?

yes

That's the problem - the CAN$ sunk lower than expected, which will lower overall league revenues because the big piece of the pie coming from Canada is worth less in USD. The Rogers deal and increased ticket sales may compensate for a lower loonie, but if not the cap could stay at $69M.

Canada brings in around 33% of the total Rev, I know the tv deal will help but while the 33% will take a hit on the drop of the dollar (average value from start of year to June) the remaining 67% from the US could do well as the drop in energy prices is has put money in their pockets. The US economy just had one of their best quarters in several years, jobs are improving by a good bit, housing is improving in lots of markets and the stock market is hitting new highs (despite a shaky jan so far)

Will be interesting to see where we end up, there are other factors in play as well, so even if the number is lower they can inflate it if they chose to.

I would be surprised if they could get his agent to agree to that. For me I just want Galchenyuk to be here a long time.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Galchenyuk - 3 years @ 3.75 per.
Beaulieu - 2 years @ 2.00 per
Bournival - 1 year @ 900 k
Tinordi - 1 year @ 900 k

I would say any deal's will be centered around the following holes in the lineup:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
XXXXX - Plekanec - Parenteau
Desharnais - Eller - Sekac
Prust - XXXXX - Weise

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - XXXXX
Tinordi - Gilbert

Price
Tokarski

Scratch: Bournival, XXXXX.

In my opinion I think one of those areas will be addressed via trade.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Gary Bettman said today that if the Canadian dollar stays at 80 cents then the cap will most likely be around 72 Million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad