Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Whatever he signs at will be a bargain because he's just that damn good and important. I'll guess 9 per.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
TBH, 9M per would be perfectly reasonable. It indeed makes him the highest paid netminder all the while not eating too much of the cap.

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
but they likely get him locked up long term next summer.

what makes you so sure?

i don't agree with that at all,

i think he will be testing out the free agency waters, especially if we don't win anything by then, which i can't see us doing, he may not even want to sign here,

some players go elsewhere, even for less money for a better chance at winning, i could see him doing the same,

if price was in dallas last year (healthy), they win the cup

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
How are you so sure of that ?
(legit question btw)

I can't be sure of it, it is only an opinion. Price seems to be a team first guy. I think team is more important to him. I also think cup is very important to him, he won't sign a contract that effectively limits his teams ability to compete for a cup.

My fear with Price is that we need to be competitive, ie deep playoff run, in one of these 2 years that he remains under contract, otherwise he may consider the UFA market not for big bucks but as a chance to win a cup if he thinks it won't/can't happen here.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Rebuild. Tank. Because at this point, if it didn't work with Price at 6M, it will never work with Price at 11M.

You may become fan of another team then, if you want.
This makes absolutely no sense on many levels...:shakehead

Hopefully MT gets fired, and Price stays, no matter the Price...literally!!

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
If he signs BEFORE he wins a cup and a Conn Smythe...8yrs x $9.5

If it's after...could easily be 8 yrs x $10.5+

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The team is nothing without him. No dollar amount matters. I'm sure Bergevin looks at it that way as well. Without Price, he doesn't have a job right now. Neither does Therrien.

If Price wants $12 million, he will get $12 million. Bergevin isn't going to push hard against him like he did with P.K. Doing absolutely anything to upset Carey is pretty much asking to be fired for those two.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
The team is nothing without him. No dollar amount matters. I'm sure Bergevin looks at it that way as well. Without Price, he doesn't have a job right now. Neither does Therrien.

If Price wants $12 million, he will get $12 million. Bergevin isn't going to push hard against him like he did with P.K. Doing absolutely anything to upset Carey is pretty much asking to be fired for those two.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what our GM does about this. The easiest job in the world right now would be to be Carey Price's agent.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Lundqvist signed for 8.5 mil for 7 years in Dec 2013. The salary cap was 64.3 millions.
11 mil 1st year and 5.5 last.

This year salary cap is 73 mil. That is 13% raise, he'll sign the extension next season (higher than 73). Equivalent salary cap is 9.6 mil.

What you seem to forget is that Price is better than Lundqvist. Price is the best goalie in the world. What would he get on the open market? Montreal will pay him near that number.

My guess....between 11 and 12 per.

Kane and Toews won three cups before signing that contract

I'm Price biggest fan since day 1 at his first training camp but ... how much is too much? I'll tell you: 12M$ is too much

I'd settle for 10M$. Unless of course he brings us a cup.

Without him....they have no chance at a cup. With him...they are one of the easy favorites to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

...That actually seems to be a good reason to NOT give him 12 millions, no?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'm actually looking forward to seeing what our GM does about this. The easiest job in the world right now would be to be Carey Price's agent.

If Montreal disappoints in the playoffs this year, it'll be interesting to see what him and his agent say about his future in Montreal.

Carey is the ultimate team player, but if he feels Bergevin is trying to get him to cut his value down, he might have to put the spurs to him. We might see Bergevin blow his load to try to get the team to the Cup just to make Carey happy.

Seriously folks, paying $9M+ for a goalie might not be something you'd want to do, but think if you're in Marc's shoes. If Carey walks in 2018, the salary cap space you got won't mean a thing. This team can't win without Carey and there's no Carey replacement to be available. Your job is on the line. There is no back-up plan.

...That actually seems to be a good reason to NOT give him 12 millions, no?

You think Geoff Molson is gonna let Bergevin keep his job if he tells Carey Price to walk because he can't afford him and now the Habs are no longer a playoff contender?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You think Geoff Molson is gonna let Bergevin keep his job if he tells Carey Price to walk because he can't afford him and now the Habs are no longer a playoff contender?

Probably not. My argument was more on what SHOULD be done as opposed to what a (GM busy with self-preservation) would do.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Top players NHL salaries haven't really increased at a similar rate compared to the increase in salary cap over the years.

After Toews/Kane signed their contracts, I thought we'd see a lot more $10 million+ contracts after that.. however after seeing how they've had to trade guys like Saad/Sharp etc. to keep their stars on the team it showed GMs how difficult it'd be having single players taking up like 15% of the total cap.

With Price's injury history and being over 30 for the full deal, I think $8.5 - 9 million a year would be fair to him.

That's a good point. But when was the last time the best player in the league (by position or possibly overall) became a free agent? You know what will be really interesting....McDavid's next contract. He could be the first to hit 11m per or more.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
"Whatever he wants, or find a new job"; is basically the conversation Molson should have with Bergevin.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's a good point. But when was the last time the best player in the league (by position or possibly overall) became a free agent? You know what will be really interesting....McDavid's next contract. He could be the first to hit 11m per or more.

Interestingly, his ELC ends the same year as Price's.

This makes absolutely no sense on many levels...:shakehead

Hopefully MT gets fired, and Price stays, no matter the Price...literally!!

So, we'll be going from "Price is everything" to "Price is everything!".
Makes sense. A lot.

"Whatever he wants, or find a new job"; is basically the conversation Molson should have with Bergevin.

...And that would reek "self-preservation".

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This will be a very easy negotiation. Both of them want what is best for the team and Price doesn't seem like the type of greedy player that will want to extract every possible penny from his employers.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This will be a very easy negotiation. Both of them want what is best for the team and Price doesn't seem like the type of greedy player that will want to extract every possible penny from his employers.

...Unless he doesn't particularily care for playing in Montréal.
I mean, it's not like he ever had much of choice. Drafted, Bridge, Current contract while still RFA.

I don't get that vibe from him (nowadays, anyway).

And I indeed expect the negotiations to be very easy unless Price's ask for double digits.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Above 10M, seriously consider trading.

Oh for sure! Anything more than 6 year and 9mil you trade him. Price is out of this world in the regular season, he hasn't, however prove he can carry the team during the playoffs and his knee is still a question mark in the years to come.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
If Montreal disappoints in the playoffs this year, it'll be interesting to see what him and his agent say about his future in Montreal.

Carey is the ultimate team player, but if he feels Bergevin is trying to get him to cut his value down, he might have to put the spurs to him. We might see Bergevin blow his load to try to get the team to the Cup just to make Carey happy.

Seriously folks, paying $9M+ for a goalie might not be something you'd want to do, but think if you're in Marc's shoes. If Carey walks in 2018, the salary cap space you got won't mean a thing. This team can't win without Carey and there's no Carey replacement to be available. Your job is on the line. There is no back-up plan.

That's why I can't wait to see what happens...I hope Carey squeezes him for every last penny.

MB is a very stubborn man, always remember that

If his stubborn nature costs him his job I'm ok with that. The sooner the better actually.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Price does not want to handicap the team going forward. He is a team guy not an ego (biggest goalie $) guy. He will sign long-term for something in the 7.5-8 million range.

He does not want or need to be the highest paid goalie to know he is the best.

Price will want to be the highest paid goalie and rightfully so......9m$ a year for 6yrs will be the go to "price"....(no pun intended :laugh:)

Not too many competing teams could sign him for a higher cap hit, he stays here!!

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
This team can't win without Carey and there's no Carey replacement to be available.

is this not a big red flag for anybody else but myself?

CP will not be around forever, so now is the time you should slowly be finding way TO WIN without him,

what is the backup plan if CP walks in 2018?

NOW is the time to start thinking about it

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
12 million X 4 years then 4 @ 7= 76/8= 9.5/year.
Will be the highest paid goalie for the next 4, then staying for the last.
Or something like this.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Big question...Carey Price is the best goalie in the world. No doubt or discussion. He has another year left on his contract. He will be 30 when his deal expires, but they likely get him locked up long term next summer.

How much....and how long of term?

7-8 years.....12m per?

i would think he gets 7-8 years, 9 or 10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad