Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I think Bergevin makes a move for Sharp at the deadline and re-signs him in the summer.

Then Emelin gets taken in expansion draft and Plekanec is traded over the summer. I would see a replacement for Pleky, a big guy who can play 2nd or 3rd line C, solid defensively and can chip in some points for about 3 or 4 M. We will have more than enough room to add a solid player IF Emelin and Pleky are gone. A trade for Duchene would be pretty nice.

Radulov gets 3 years, $6.75M
Galchenyuk gets 6 years, $6.75M
Flynn gets 1 year, $900k
Markov gets 2 years, $4.0M
Beaulieu gets 1 year, $2.0M
Sharp gets 2 years, $3.0M
Hudon gets 1 year, 0.6M

2017-18

Shaw (3.9) - Galchenyuk (6.75) - Radulov (6.75)
Pacioretty (4.5) - Danault (0.92) - Sharp (3.0)
Lehkonen (0.84) - UFA (4.0) - Gallagher (3.75)
Byron (1.17) - McCarron (0.86) - Mitchell (1.2)
extra: Flynn (0.9), Hudon (0.6)

Beaulieu (2.0) - Weber (7.85)
Sergachyev (0.93) - Petry (5.5)
Markov (4.0) - Pateryn (0.8)
extra: Barberio (0.75)

Price (6.5) - Montoya (1.1)

TOTAL: $68.07M

::: AHL :::

Carr - Audette - Terry
Matteau - UFA - Scherbak
Farnham - De La Rose - Friberg
Eisenschmid - Gregoire - Addison
*Bradley

Hanley - Redmond
Johnston - Juulsen
Parisi - Lernout
*Bourque

Lindgren - McNiven - Fucale

For the AHL squad, I see a couple of Francophone players getting signed to play in Laval. Also, I think Lindgren could be promoted with a good training camp and Montoya waived/traded/loaned. I would like to see Fucale and McNiven getting a lot of ice time in AHL.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Emelin won't be exposed in the expansion draft. He will be traded after the season. Some teams weak on D will be able to protect him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
yes McNiven is done with Juniors when his season ends this year as I would think he'll join the IceCaps unless he can carry his team deep into the playoffs. He can play next year in the OHL as an overager but I would be shocked if so.

Bourque, Addision, Bradley, McNiven, Juulsen, will likely all be turning pro assuming the first 3 are signed which I assume they would be. I could see Jake Evans turning pro, although he can go back to Notre Dame for his Senior year if they don't think he's ready physically since it's not like they have to worry about the NCAA loop hole which had he not gone directly to the NCAA after being drafted, he could have become a UFA this summer. Since they don't have to worry about it, there's less pressure but he's looked good so they may want to move him to the AHL next year.

Hopefully Reway gets his health issue to the point where he can play hockey again, would be great to see him in Laval.

how much pro contract room do we have?

Really hope Reway can resume his career without any ill effects.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
how much pro contract room do we have?

Really hope Reway can resume his career without any ill effects.

We are at 47 right now:

Flynn, Farnham, Terry, Andrighetto, Johnston, DLR, Lindgren, MacMillan, Racine, Thrower, Crisp, Hudon, Matteau, Samuelsson, Hanley and Friberg are UFA/RFA. In bold are the ones I expect to be back.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We are at 47 right now:

Flynn, Farnham, Terry, Andrighetto, Johnston, DLR, Lindgren, MacMillan, Racine, Thrower, Crisp, Hudon, Matteau, Samuelsson, Hanley and Friberg are UFA/RFA. In bold are the ones I expect to be back.

thanks. yeah that makes sense. Should have enough room to sign all those guys no problem.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
now down to 46 contracts and 2,439,098 in cap space. Not a lot of room to make a big splash without creating space unless they wait till the deadline when they look to have over 4M in space and counting.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
After this year

Who comes off the books and how much cap space will we have. I'm thinking with the small moves made within the last couple of days and still having some space, should the team have a ton of money to get some really good players for next year? Aren't most of our core still signed through next year? I'm unsure about all of this hence the questions. If we do have a lot coming off the books perhaps Bergy has put all of this into consideration and the real run for the cup will be next year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
According to Cap Friendly (link provided by Habsawce), we will have 22.42M come off the books from all the RFA's and UFA's.

Add to that the 2.55M we already have in cap room now and it's a total of 24.97M. So bascally 25M.

Players on our current roster who will be free agents:

RFA
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
Nesterov

UFA
Radulov
Markov
King
Flynn
Ott
Martinsen

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Damn it seems all the bad contracts come off after next season then we have to re-sign our core ...ouch

But that's what the smart part is. As an example, both Plekanec and Emelin come off the books after next season. That is a total of 10.1M in cap space. We can use part of that to give Price's raise. By then, Galchenyuk and (hopefully) Radulov will already be signed. And if all of these guys are locked in, then we only have Pacioretty the year after that. As things stand now because we don't know what other acquisitions and contracts the Habs will have to deal with.

That is why many GM's covet prospects. Because their small contracts permit them to go after big fish.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
According to Cap Friendly (link provided by Habsawce), we will have 22.42M come off the books from all the RFA's and UFA's.

Add to that the 2.55M we already have in cap room now and it's a total of 24.97M. So bascally 25M.

Players on our current roster who will be free agents:

RFA
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
Nesterov

UFA
Radulov
Markov
King
Flynn
Ott
Martinsen

I would only sign:

RFA
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
Nesterov(Maybe)

UFA
Radulov
Markov(At right price)
King(Maybe)

I would trade Plekanec away, maybe even Emelin if the need arises.

The last 2 can help us shed another 10.1 million IF we need it. Cap space without using it is useless.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So we'll have all of that cap money after next year yes?

307yxaw.png

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
Wow very nice thank you. It looks like we'll be just fine and most certainly be able to keep up with the heavy hitters of the league if not surpass them. Excited days are ahead!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bergevin is not unanimously loved. But one of his biggest qualities is cap management. You look at Plekanec as an example. He only got a two-year extension. It might be a bigger salary, but that was the price to pay for Pleky to accept signing for two seasons. And why did Bergevin give that to Pleky? Because he absolutely wanted his contract to end at the same time as Price. So he can use part of Pleky's cap to extend Price.

Even though it was three years ago, Emelin was signed for 4 years and not more because Bergevin foresaw that Price's contract was up the same time. And he didn't know what the cap situation would be 4 years in advance, but he had Emelin's deal expire the same time Price's does.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
They're in good cap position, basically.

Not really, they are in a good position to hold fast with what they have, bad position to make major new additions. The league itself has collectively gotten much less cap stupid in recent years so there isn't much comparative advantage to the Habs' current position. For example, the only spot they are projected to have above replacment level players making replacement level money is depth scoring wingers, which is OK, but not great for cap managment purposes.

Habs are decently positioned to hold their ground as an above average team next season. Not in a good spot to move into a higher tier and poorly positioned for long-term given how grey their core has gotten (only 2 core pieces are younger than 28, which is when players begin to decline on standard aging curves).

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I hope they can resign the two big guys we picked up today- King and Martinsen. I have a feeling we will appreciate having more bigger bodies and both should not cost a lot. Martinsen likes to hit people and King is such a large body. I would like to build on guys like these, knowing they are 3/4 guys.

Also, it may be time to part ways with Markov. He is getting old in the tooth, slowing down, and not nearly as productive. Besides, we now have 8 Dmen and I'm hoping Sergachev can make the team next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Also, it may be time to part ways with Markov. He is getting old in the tooth, slowing down, and not nearly as productive. Besides, we now have 8 Dmen and I'm hoping Sergachev can make the team next year.

Markov is their best defenseman right now.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Bergevin is not unanimously loved. But one of his biggest qualities is cap management. You look at Plekanec as an example. He only got a two-year extension. It might be a bigger salary, but that was the price to pay for Pleky to accept signing for two seasons. And why did Bergevin give that to Pleky? Because he absolutely wanted his contract to end at the same time as Price. So he can use part of Pleky's cap to extend Price.

Even though it was three years ago, Emelin was signed for 4 years and not more because Bergevin foresaw that Price's contract was up the same time. And he didn't know what the cap situation would be 4 years in advance, but he had Emelin's deal expire the same time Price's does.

Plus the cap always goes up just enough anyways. We'll be fine. I don't understand all the worry about losing whoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad