Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Barkov signed a 6 years @5.9M AAV contract
Scheifele signed an 8 years @6.125M AAV contract

Both have showed more than Galchenyuk at the moment. Gaudreau also signed a 6.75M AAV contract, it seems contract's worth are going down recently. I won't even talk about the Kucherov and Lindholm contracts since they are not comparable for different factors but they were a lot cheaper than expected.

I'm going to guess 8 years @6M AAV for Galchenyuk and 3 years @6.25M AAV for Radulov.

That Barkov deal is ridiculous. He's worth so much more than that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Let's hope you are right. Just starting to think that Desharnais coming back is not a work of fiction.

Let's look at this teams center's...

Galchenyuk - do you think he's going anywhere any time soon? Safe to say he's a part of this teams plan moving forward?

Plekanec - His salary makes him untradeable, he's the coach favorite player...he's not going anywhere for the next 2 years

Torrey Mitchell - respected veteran, does an excellent job on the 4th line, he's cheap, he's local...awesome 4th line center, he's not going anywhere

----------------------------------------

Phillip Danault - not sure if management thinks he's a center, but he's at least an option

Michael McCarron - management loves him and he almost made the team this year, short of him seeing crash and burn as a prospect over the next 12 months, he's going to be on this team next year in some capacity

Hudon/De la Rose - not sure where these guys fit in the organization

-------------------------

where do you want Desharnais to play if he's re-signed??? there's no room

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Shipachyov @ 2.5M makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, he's a UFA Center in an offseason where he might just be the best player at his position. There's probably 30 other teams who will offer him more than that!

And World Cup Revenue isn't HRR.

Well, it does make sense if he wants to win a cup ;). He doesn't get any more than $4M IMO. My point of the post was there is money available. If you want Shipachev bad, then don't re-sign Markov. Radulov was rumored to be paid the highest KHL player at $7M USD but instead choose to play in high tax Montreal at $5.75M. You can retract your "makes no sense whatsoever" comment now

And yes you are correct. World cup of hockey is not HRR. NHL/NHLPA apparently split $65M in profits! I retract that statement ;)

Galchenyuk - do you think he's going anywhere any time soon? Safe to say he's a part of this teams plan moving forward?

Plekanec - His salary makes him untradeable, he's the coach favorite player...he's not going anywhere for the next 2 years

Torrey Mitchell - respected veteran, does an excellent job on the 4th line, he's cheap, he's local...awesome 4th line center, he's not going anywhere

Phillip Danault - not sure if management thinks he's a center, but he's at least an option

Michael McCarron - management loves him and he almost made the team this year, short of him seeing crash and burn as a prospect over the next 12 months, he's going to be on this team next year in some capacity

Well summarized! Agreed. DD is playing his last season as a Habs.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well summarized! Agreed. DD is playing his last season as a Habs.

I mean, I could be wrong...perhaps this organization really sees him as an integral part of this team moving forward.

But realistically and financially...there's just no room to bring him back even if they wanted too.

If they were able to get rid of Plekanec's contract, then maybe...but I don't see that happening.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, I could be wrong...perhaps this organization really sees him as an integral part of this team moving forward.

But realistically and financially...there's just no room to bring him back even if they wanted too.

If they were able to get rid of Plekanec's contract, then maybe...but I don't see that happening.

There is a slight chance he is back but at like a $1-2M one year contract as a depth player. But he's not an integral part moving forward after this season for sure!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Geez man, don't look but everything you are talking about is IN the roster right now and there's STILL room for DD. Only guy not in the roster right now is McCarron. So I guess he is the determining factor.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I can't see Desharnais signing a contract, unless he accepts a 1M$/yr contract and doesn't care moving to Laval for a few seasons.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There is a slight chance he is back but at like a $1-2M one year contract as a depth player. But he's not an integral part moving forward after this season for sure!

I'd argue he isn't now

Geez man, don't look but everything you are talking about is IN the roster right now and there's STILL room for DD. Only guy not in the roster right now is McCarron. So I guess he is the determining factor.

Well yeah...they're going to have to make room for him

but also don't forget there are financial implications

- Galchenyuk's contract
- Radulov's contract
- Markov's contract (or not)

I don't claim to know management's plans...but put 2 and 2 together

Last edited by a moderator:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

- Galchenyuk's contract
- Radulov's contract

If the Habs somehow manage to win the Cup this season, I would not be surprised to see Markov retire.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
First of all... why do you think we would ever have to expose Price? I like Montoya, but the Habs can't spend any more than $1.5M for a backup goalie and if Montoya continues to put the numbers he will be getting a raise! C Lindgren may be next years back-up.

#1 Signing is Galchenyuk: Lock him up for 8 years for $6-7M range (hopefully) but if he continues to play with Radulov, then his numbers may go up the roof and so will his salary.

#2 Signing is Radulov:
If he plays close to 82 games, IMO he will get close to 82 points. Probably 60-75 range. That probably means $7-8M range. If it's $7M, sign him for 5 years. If it's $8M, sign him for 4 years. Will the Habs and Radulov come to an aggrement that he re-signs after July 1st? hmmm....??? Risky!

#3 Signing is Beaulieu: Will he play with Pateryn mostly for the rest of the year? If so, his #'s will be similar to previous seasons which means $3-4M tops and maybe less. If it's $3M, sign him for 8 years!, If it's $4M, sign him for 5 or 6 years. Beaulieu is the harder contract to predict.
I don't think you get it.
The only goalie the Habs have that meets the requirements for the expansion draft is Price.
Lindgren is exempt
Fucale is exempt
Montoya isn't signed past this season
If the Habs don't sign another goalie, ie Montoya, to at least a 1yr term, they must..."MUST"...expose Price. They don't have the choice.
So.....Montoya becomes the priority.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The only goalie the Habs have that meets the requirements for the expansion draft is Price.
Lindgren is exempt
Fucale is exempt
If the Habs don't sign another goalie, ie Montoya, to at least a 1yr term, they must..."MUST"...expose Price. They don't have the choice.

I wonder if MB will try to pull a shrewd move if it's absolutely impossible to sign Montoya to a reasonable deal (1.5M is reasonable). Like, trade for Pepère Budaj and give him a 1yr, 1-way deal.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

-Galchenyuk is safe as long as the coach lets him play C.
-Not gonna get into about Plekanec. Sad the lack of love he gets.
-Agree completely about Mitchell
-Danault was the reason Bergevin traded Eller. MB himself said it. I have no idea why they refuse to play him at 3rd C where he should be.
-McCarron hasn't really wowed in his NHL stints so I think he's farther away that that.
-Hudon and DLR are depth and trade bait/filler in my opinion
-Desharnais will most likely be re-signed, but should be gone after this season

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I wonder if MB will try to pull a shrewd move if it's absolutely impossible to sign Montoya to a reasonable deal (1.5M is reasonable). Like, trade for Pepère Budaj and give him a 1yr, 1-way deal.

Shrewd? If he can't sign Montoya for ANY reason, he will sign just about anyone in order not to expose Price. Really, he has absolutely NO choice in the matter. Any GM would do exactly the same thing. Heck, if no one is available, getting a goalie out of retirement would probably be an option even if said goalie doesn't play much if at all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Hudon hasn't played center in just over a year. He's been back at LW since very early into last season and I don't recall him ever getting any games at center since.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lindgren is exempt
Fucale is exempt

Yann Danis could be happy to get an NHL 2-way contract instead of an AHL contract like he has now. I predict the Habs will sign him if he does OK in the AHL this year.

If not, there are other guys like Danis out there.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yann Danis could be happy to get an NHL 2-way contract instead of an AHL contract like he has now. I predict the Habs will sign him if he does OK in the AHL this year.
If not, there are other guys like Danis out there.

Needs to be signed this year.
I have no idea why MB is waiting on it, but just sign Montoya to an extra year.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

Plekanec at 6M a year >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Desharnais for free.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal

- Galchenyuk's contract
- Radulov's contract

That's actually the scary part. MB always said young players make the decision for him, so until he is contributing in the NHL maybe Bergevin will give a 1 yr deal to Desharnais :shakehead

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Shrewd? If he can't sign Montoya for ANY reason, he will sign just about anyone in order not to expose Price. Really, he has absolutely NO choice in the matter. Any GM would do exactly the same thing. Heck, if no one is available, getting a goalie out of retirement would probably be an option even if said goalie doesn't play much if at all.

The problem is, an eligible netminder must be on the roster by the expansion draft.

Needs to be signed this year.
I have no idea why MB is waiting on it, but just sign Montoya to an extra year.

Claiming back Mike Condon from the waivers.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Who knows what this team will look like in two years? It's almost useless to speculate.
Retirements? Buyouts? Trades? Promotions? Drafts? Changes in management?

I'll take it as it comes.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Who knows what this team will look like in two years? It's almost useless to speculate.
Retirements? Buyouts? Trades? Promotions? Drafts? Changes in management?

I'll take it as it comes.

It's in 8 months, not in two years.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Pacioretty and Desharnais: we need to move these guys out. I'm very disappointed our captain has no character. We need a change.

Markov: I feel sad Markov was a great player but the game is faster now and Markov cannot keep up. If we want to take to the next level, we need to fix our defense. Markov doesn't contribute to the powerplay and he's very slow. Move his $5.5 mil.

Plekanec: I feel he needs a fresh start somewhere else. He's great player but sometimes you need a change. Move his $6 mil.

Markov+Plekanec = $11.5 mil

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Price's next contract

Big question...Carey Price is the best goalie in the world. No doubt or discussion. He has another year left on his contract. He will be 30 when his deal expires, but they likely get him locked up long term next summer.

How much....and how long of term?

7-8 years.....12m per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad