Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
why?

if a large CP contract will cripple the entire team, then it would be wise to say bye bye Price instead of bye bye MB,

Well assuming therrien is still here, price is the backbone of the system. Also the window closes if price leaves. We won't find a goalie like him to replace him.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So TB waited out Stamkos and he resigned with them. If he walked they would have gotten 0.

Do the Habs do that with Price ? Or is there a drop dead date for signing. ? eg not resigned by August 15, training camp, all-star break, etc.

Not 100% as to when , but pretty sure I would trade him as opposed to risking getting 0.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
So TB waited out Stamkos and he resigned with them. If he walked they would have gotten 0.

Do the Habs do that with Price ? Or is there a drop dead date for signing. ? eg not resigned by August 15, training camp, all-star break, etc.

Not 100% as to when , but pretty sure I would trade him as opposed to risking getting 0.

Don't think MB would risk not signing back Price. If we are able to get him with 8-9M, great, but I'd give him the 10M if he really wants it. Our whole system is reliant on Price, so if we leave, then we better be in re-build mode and sell the rest of our players as well...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You want a list of teams that would pay 10M/yr for Price?

Let's start with Canadiens, and then add maybe 20 more teams at least to that list.

Whooooo!!!??

Keep in mind the cap, contending team, hockey market, travel...etc

10m$.....find me teams!

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
Whooooo!!!??

Keep in mind the cap, contending team, hockey market, travel...etc

10m$.....find me teams!

First off, I don't know the current cap situation of most teams, but we aren't talking about him landing on a team right now with no cap changing. Teams will shed players and trade contracts and let others expire in order to get the space to sign a player like that for big money.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think the only way we don't resign Price is if he doesn't want to play here anymore.

If he wants to continue being a Hab then we should be able to get a deal done. He could , and I think likely will ask for $10M , but that is not an issue, a deal will get done. If he says $14M then I don't think he wants to play here.

And yes, there would be plenty of teams who would love to have him for that $10M.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
My educated guess is that Price takes a little bit of a home discount and signs for 8-8.5M x 8 years on a frontloaded deal. Similar to what Stamkos did.

Some players want to play for a winning team, instead of getting the extra 1 or 2M from a crappy or middle of the pack team.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
At 10m$???....by whom?

Who's got the cap space for that??

Who says he's asking for 10M?

Besides, we've got him right now at 6.5 so we only need to find 3.5 million of cap space to sign him for that amount.

And I feel like there's someone xpendable on our team making exactly 3.5 million... :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Who says he's asking for 10M?

Besides, we've got him right now at 6.5 so we only need to find 3.5 million of cap space to sign him for that amount.

And I feel like there's someone xpendable on our team making exactly 3.5 million... :laugh:

Yeah, that Galchenyuk guy will take roughly 100% of that money.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
My educated guess is that Price takes a little bit of a home discount and signs for 8-8.5M x 8 years on a frontloaded deal. Similar to what Stamkos did.

Some players want to play for a winning team, instead of getting the extra 1 or 2M from a crappy or middle of the pack team.
This is what we have to hope for...our performance here, this year and next dictate what he will do.........as we all well know, we are nothing without Price, while we employ a clown behind the bench...it's the cold truth.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Who to Re-Sign

This July 1st, a number of contracts will be expiring (both UFA and RFA). The Habs will have quite a bit of cash available to extend some current roster players and maybe use some to sign other FA's this off-season.

Here is a list of the players who are currently on expiring contracts (I used Cap Friendly as a cap source and I only counted the NHL roster written today. I don't count the current AHL contracts expiring):

Unrestricted Free Agents
- Alexander Radulov - 5.75M
- Andrei Markov - 5.75M
- David Desharnais - 3.5M
- Brian Flynn - 950K
- Chris Terry - 600K
- Bobby Farnham - 575K

The UFA's alone in total create 17.125M in cap space.

Including Parenteau's buyout of 1.33M also coming off the books, the total is 18.455M

Restricted Free Agents
- Alex Galchenyuk - 2.8M
- Nathan Beaulieu - 1M
- Ryan Johnstron - 680K
- Sven Andrighetto - 650K

The RFA's alone in total create 5.13M in cap space.

So in total, the UFA's, RFA's, and Preanteau's buyout creates 23.585M in cap space.

Also to consider (but we don't have the answer to) is the salary cap for next year as well as having one player chosen by Vegas in the Expansion Draft, thus removing a full cap hit off the books. We don't know who and what their cap hit is so we can't calculate that right now.

For me, the priorities are Galchenyuk, Radulov, Beaulieu, and Markov. Everyone else can go. So if I'm simply spreading the 23.585M between them, I'm giving:

- Alex Galchenyuk - 6.85M
- Alexander Radulov - 6.5M
- Andrei Markov - 5M
- Nathan Beaulieu - 3M

Remaining: 2.235M

What would you do?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
This July 1st, a number of contracts will be expiring (both UFA and RFA). The Habs will have quite a bit of cash available to extend some current roster players and maybe use some to sign other FA's this off-season.

Here is a list of the players who are currently on expiring contracts (I used Cap Friendly as a cap source and I only counted the NHL roster written today. I don't count the current AHL contracts expiring):

Unrestricted Free Agents
- Alexander Radulov - 5.75M
- Andrei Markov - 5.75M
- David Desharnais - 3.5M
- Brian Flynn - 950K
- Chris Terry - 600K
- Bobby Farnham - 575K

The UFA's alone in total create 17.125M in cap space.

Including Parenteau's buyout of 1.33M also coming off the books, the total is 18.455M

Restricted Free Agents
- Alex Galchenyuk - 2.8M
- Nathan Beaulieu - 1M
- Ryan Johnstron - 680K
- Sven Andrighetto - 650K

The RFA's alone in total create 5.13M in cap space.

So in total, the UFA's, RFA's, and Preanteau's buyout creates 23.585M in cap space.

Also to consider (but we don't have the answer to) is the salary cap for next year as well as having one player chosen by Vegas in the Expansion Draft, thus removing a full cap hit off the books. We don't know who and what their cap hit is so we can't calculate that right now.

For me, the priorities are Galchenyuk, Radulov, Beaulieu, and Markov. Everyone else can go. So if I'm simply spreading the 23.585M between them, I'm giving:

- Alex Galchenyuk - 6.85M
- Alexander Radulov - 6.5M
- Andrei Markov - 5M
- Nathan Beaulieu - 3M

Remaining: 2.235M

What would you do?

Hopefully Plekanec is somehow gone, which will free another 6mil, bringing us close to 10mil in cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad