Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't think the dollar value will be as high as people think.

I can see him signing at a similar price to Lundqvist, something like $8.5 - 9 million a year with the salary being higher at the beginning of the contract (like $11-12 million) then working its way down by the end of the contract.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Keep in mind that an 8 year deal will run until he's 38 years old. I'd try to get him down to a 6 year deal, even if it means upping the dollar value. Something like 6 years, $66m.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
My guess is that he'll take just above Subban's contract to make him the biggest of the franchise history.

Something like 8y/9.5 or 10m

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
This is going to hurt the bank a lot, but I'm assuming a bit of north of 10M for 8 years. He deserves whatever he wants to be honest.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I don't think the dollar value will be as high as people think.

I can see him signing at a similar price to Lundqvist, something like $8.5 - 9 million a year with the salary being higher at the beginning of the contract (like $11-12 million) then working its way down by the end of the contract.

Lundqvist signed for 8.5 mil for 7 years in Dec 2013. The salary cap was 64.3 millions.
11 mil 1st year and 5.5 last.

This year salary cap is 73 mil. That is 13% raise, he'll sign the extension next season (higher than 73). Equivalent salary cap is 9.6 mil.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Kane and Toews won three cups before signing that contract

I'm Price biggest fan since day 1 at his first training camp but ... how much is too much? I'll tell you: 12M$ is too much

I'd settle for 10M$. Unless of course he brings us a cup.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Montreal becomes a legitimate contender in the next two years, Stanley Cup Championship, Stanley Cup Final, or at least Eastern Conference Final both years, then I believe Price will pull a Stamkos. Meaning he'll probably accept less in order to "finish what he started in Montreal."

If they don't become contenders, I can still see him staying but at a bigger cap hit. If they miss the playoffs than I can see him hitting free agency.

Bergevin was asked on Antichambre at the start of he year if he has more reason to build a contending team this year and next in order to enhance his chances to keep Price, he said yes. So you know his motive isn't not only winning a Cup, but making sure Price wants to stay in Montreal.

Due to his injury history, I would prefer a 6-year deal (MB's favorite term). But I can see Price being locked up at maximum. Right now, Lundqvist is 34 and he's still among the elite. Luongo is 37 and is still among the elite. So locking up Price until he's 38 shouldn't be too big a deal.

headliner

Feb 11, 2007
He knows he's been the main reason for any success the MB-MT regime has enjoyed...contract extensions included.

He holds all the Aces. Sure, he'll get a fat contract either way....but if he wants a Stanley Cup, he may want to choose his best chance.

As mentioned above, if Bergevin wants to keep Price....he'll be taking a really good look at the roster and head coaching position as the season unfolds.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Price is about 6-7m per for 4 years according to the main boards

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Will be a 2-4 year deal ~9 mil. Price will walk at 36ish like Hasek if we can't build a team for him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Consider trading? And what, move the team to Peoria and the AHL...?

Probably 10M and around 8 yrs, if he even wants to stay??

Rebuild. Tank. Because at this point, if it didn't work with Price at 6M, it will never work with Price at 11M.

You may become fan of another team then, if you want.

As much as I like Price I see him walking as he will become unaffordable

Price won't become unaffordable.
He might, however, chose to become unaffordable. Big difference.

The problem with this though is that trading Price with only one year left on his contract kinda screws his value.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Price does not want to handicap the team going forward. He is a team guy not an ego (biggest goalie $) guy. He will sign long-term for something in the 7.5-8 million range.

He does not want or need to be the highest paid goalie to know he is the best.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Price does not want to handicap the team going forward. He is a team guy not an ego (biggest goalie $) guy. He will sign long-term for something in the 7.5-8 million range.

He does not want or need to be the highest paid goalie to know he is the best.

How are you so sure of that ?
(legit question btw)

I'd like to add there's some uncertainty ar the moment with attendance numbers being apparently lower than forecasted in many places (I wouldnt say lower than expected considering trends in pro sports)

Last edited by a moderator:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Lundqvist signed for 8.5 mil for 7 years in Dec 2013. The salary cap was 64.3 millions.
11 mil 1st year and 5.5 last.

This year salary cap is 73 mil. That is 13% raise, he'll sign the extension next season (higher than 73). Equivalent salary cap is 9.6 mil.

Top players NHL salaries haven't really increased at a similar rate compared to the increase in salary cap over the years.

After Toews/Kane signed their contracts, I thought we'd see a lot more $10 million+ contracts after that.. however after seeing how they've had to trade guys like Saad/Sharp etc. to keep their stars on the team it showed GMs how difficult it'd be having single players taking up like 15% of the total cap.

With Price's injury history and being over 30 for the full deal, I think $8.5 - 9 million a year would be fair to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad