Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sens are not going to want Sheehan in return for Brassard. So why would we trade Sheehan and for what? You aren’t making sense
Why wouldn't they? He's a center and could replace Brassard for the remainder of the season. He's also on an expiring contract. TBH The Sens may prefer that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pageau strikes me as a player who is more of a typical 3C who occasionally goes on scoring tears.

Brassard is a guy who can legitimately play with and maximize Kessel.

**** off with the RHS faceoff PK bull****. We won 2 Cups with two LHS bottom six centers.

Bring a depth center in for that who can play wing if you’re that worried about it.

We already have one, he's called Carter Rowney...

Pageau can play with talent. I'm not sure he'll click with Kessel, but not entirely sure with Brassard either. In any case, as long as they click with Kessel, that's the most important thing. Kessel will tilt the ice all on his lonesome providing everyone else can ride shotgun.

He's cheaper to get and cheaper to keep. He brings more more to the team away from the score sheet.

Reactions: Riptide

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Why wouldn't they? He's a center and could replace Brassard for the remainder of the season. He's also on an expiring contract. TBH The Sens may prefer that.
He would be a throw in not an asset the trade would be based on. So why would we throw him in?

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the Pens are unsuccessful in landing Brassard, then the second option should be Pageau. However, if the Sens move one and keep the other,then JR should be on the phone to St. Louis for any of their three supposed centers they are open to dealing...Sobotka, Berglund, or Barbashev. Berglund could fit well here with Hagy and Horny.

Reactions: Pengwins

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He would be a throw in not an asset the trade would be based on. So why would we throw him in?
He's not a throw in. You have to look at the cap and the term. OTT wants young and cheap assets. They'd also want someone who can play Brassards role if possible to aptly get through this season. I don't think the Pens would necessarily be clamoring for it, but OTT might.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If the Pens are unsuccessful in landing Brassard, then the second option should be Pageau. However, if the Sens move one and keep the other,then JR should be on the phone to St. Louis for any of their three supposed centers they are open to dealing...Sobotka, Berglund, or Barbashev. Berglund could fit well here with Hagy and Horny.

Sobotka could also be that gritty LW too.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
He's not a throw in. You have to look at the cap and the term. OTT wants young and cheap assets. They'd also want someone who can play Brassards role if possible to aptly get through this season. I don't think the Pens would necessarily be clamoring for it, but OTT might.
Sure that’s fine and all but the next move would need to be better than acquiring Letestu

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Regardless, Sheahans play is helping us on multiple levels. JR won't be made to feel as desperate in trying to add somebody.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
can we really be lucky enough to get ZAR and Simon as effective top 9 players? That would be what, 5 guys in the last three years with Sheary, Rust, and Guentzel. Even if it's just one of them, or if they can be solid 4th liners this year, that's pretty great for us.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So notwithstanding the fact that JR is probably just blowing smoke about being happy with Sheahan as 3c, is anyone else starting to think the Pens should upgrade the 4th line C and spend the real assets to upgrade over Sheary on the left side?

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
ZAR provides that Zack Smith-type of LW we wanted.

Sheary, Gustavsson, 1st for Brassard. Call up Sprong.

ZAR-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Simon/Reaves-Sheahan-Rust

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
ZAR provides that Zack Smith-type of LW we wanted.

Sheary, Gustavsson, 1st for Brassard. Call up Sprong.

ZAR-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Simon/Reaves-Sheahan-Rust
I'd love that, but not sure the Sens would.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So notwithstanding the fact that JR is probably just blowing smoke about being happy with Sheahan as 3c, is anyone else starting to think the Pens should upgrade the 4th line C and spend the real assets to upgrade over Sheary on the left side?

I don't even know what the Penguins should do at this point. Doing something like Sheary for Sobotka would be great, but should the Penguins trade Sheary? Hell, even Hunwick has been playing well recently. With their recent play, I'm moving away from making a big splash at the deadline. Just why mess with something that works?

Trade Hunwick, try and add a center like Plekanec and run with:

ZAR-Crosby-Guentzel
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Plekanec-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Reaves

I don't see any problems with this forward group. Sure, it's not as sexy as adding Brassard, but man, that forward depth is good.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
can we really be lucky enough to get ZAR and Simon as effective top 9 players? That would be what, 5 guys in the last three years with Sheary, Rust, and Guentzel. Even if it's just one of them, or if they can be solid 4th liners this year, that's pretty great for us.
Our shits turn into pure gold.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't even know what the Penguins should do at this point. Doing something like Sheary for Sobotka would be great, but should the Penguins trade Sheary? Hell, even Hunwick has been playing well recently. With their recent play, I'm moving away from making a big splash at the deadline. Just why mess with something that works?

Trade Hunwick, try and add a center like Plekanec and run with:

ZAR-Crosby-Guentzel
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Plekanec-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Reaves

I don't see any problems with this forward group. Sure, it's not as sexy as adding Brassard, but man, that forward depth is good.
Sit Reaves, play Rust there, put Simon in that LW spot imo. But either way yeah, that's solid. Not my plan A still, but very good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I don't even know what the Penguins need at this point. They're playing so well recently that it's really hard to tell where the actual flaws on this team are. Sure, you 1000% need an upgrade on Rowney, but what kind of upgrade is that? Is it a center to push Sheahan to the 4th line, when Sheahan has 4 goals and 9 points in his last 11 games and is on pace for 13 goals and 37 points per 82 games with the Penguins (16 goals and 44 points per 82 games if you look at his last 41 games)? Do you gamble that Sheahan's production in his entire time in Pittsburgh is what he's going to do going forward? Rutherford saying that the Penguins are happy with Sheahan as the 3C really isn't that crazy based on how well he's producing in that spot. It's really difficult to say what kind of center they need, they just definitely need a center.

Do you need any sort of winger? Sheary has been producing at near a 40 point pace recently, while also not getting scored on at all. ZAR has 4 goals and 5 points in his last 6 games, and looks extremely comfortable in front of the net and in the NHL overall. Guentzel is obviously established, but even with some struggles this year, he has 5 goals and 9 points in his last 14 games. Hagelin has obviously turned it on recently, I don't even need to post the stats for that. Now add on Rust, Hornqvist and Kessel and you have 7 wingers who are all playing well right now. That also doesn't include Simon, who's struggling right now but has had stretches of being really good.

I honestly don't even know what I'd do at the deadline at this point. The team is just playing so well that it's hard to tell what the Penguins actually need, outside of a center better than Rowney.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What we need and what we should try to get aren't the same thing imo. I think we need a solid center. But there's no such thing is too good. Make this team as good as we can reasonably make it imo. Don't settle for being a contender if there's a deal available that makes us the favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany