Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Will post cap info soon

Right now, where the Pens are reminds me of the 2012 deadline.

KMN was killing it. Staal had stepped up with Sullivan and Dupuis. As Sid returned from concussion, there was a perfect potentially game changing opportunity to pony up and get Sid an impact winger at the deadline. Prices were 'too high', Shero stood pat, saying he liked his team as it was (the wingers were 'fine') and had the media parroting the line, and then that debacle of a series with Philly happened.

This year, the potential is there for a game changing trade for a 3C, game changing not just in terms of the impossible matchup situation it would present but also in terms of how sliding Sheahan to L4 would give us 4 scoring lines coming in wave after wave after wave. But, prices are 'too high'.

While not exact, it's still an interesting parallel.

In the end, I think JR will go for it now and worry about 3 years from now later.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
In a perfect world i bet JR would like to make a deal on Monday.

Pens have those 4 days off next week, that would be a good time to bring in a player and let him get a couple practices in.

Reactions: KIRK

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

KMN was killing it. Staal had stepped up with Sullivan and Dupuis. As Sid returned from concussion, there was a perfect potentially game changing opportunity to pony up and get Sid an impact winger at the deadline. Prices were 'too high', Shero stood pat, saying he liked his team as it was (the wingers were 'fine') and had the media parroting the line, and then that debacle of a series with Philly happened.

This year, the potential is there for a game changing trade for a 3C, game changing not just in terms of the impossible matchup situation it would present but also in terms of how sliding Sheahan to L4 would give us 4 scoring lines coming in wave after wave after wave. But, prices are 'too high'.

In the end, I think JR will go for it now and worry about 3 years from now later.
You don’t always have a chance to make history with two generational players in their prime . . .

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I will say the poor play has been noticed by the players and coaches. So it's not like they are wrecking house. I bet they weren't happy with the first 40 minutes tonight.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You don’t always have a chance to make history with two generational players in their prime . . .

It's such a risky gamble but boy is it tempting, eh? The safer play is grab what you can grab and make this team the best you can. Even if we gra every perfect player by overpaying, it doesn't guarantee anything. But it could kill us in a few years. But then again.. what if it pays off. That'd be insane.

I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I hope you're right. Gus, however, is who OTT should want and who we should trade. Sprong is ready to play in the NHL now or next year and could help Sid and G. Of course, that's assuming the coach will play him. But Gus is more like 3-4 years out from helping the team. He should offer Gus, the 1st and someone off the roster. Hopefully Sheary or Rowney or Hunwick--someone I'd like to jettison into deep space....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

See, I don’t think JR’s idea of too high is like Shero’s. If JR genuinely thinks something is too high then it’s probably pretty damn bad. Like 1st + Sprong + Jarry ( another + for salary retention?) bad.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
It's such a risky gamble but boy is it tempting, eh? The safer play is grab what you can grab and make this team the best you can. Even if we gra every perfect player by overpaying, it doesn't guarantee anything. But it could kill us in a few years. But then again.. what if it pays off. That'd be insane.

I think it’s clear: Go all in.

People are going to say that the future is too important, but are people going to look back in twenty years and think differently?

We won’t be remember for trading away a couple of futures or keeping our futures. We will be remember for winning three straight cups. How much do Sprong/Gustavsson and a 1st help us in this decade? Hornqvist(resigned), Kessel, Rust down RW is fine, so that *makes* Sprong expandable. Gustavsson would be behind Murray-Jarry. That 1st likely won’t be NHL ready anytime soon.

It’s not like OTT is asking for the world for Brassard, considering that ask for Duchene and what Duchene actually got. If Sheary+Prospect+Pick is on the board(considering it’s reasonable, I take the deal and run. I think ZAR has made Sheary more expandable ...

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

The thing is we really don't have any centers in the farm system. He's going to have to find someone to play here some time, whether it's at the TDL or over the summer. We can't go into next year without a bottom six center and preferably someone else for depth. So it's a need we're not going to be able to fill through the draft. It would be nice to find a really good player now with at least some term who could improve the team for this playoff run as well

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

To be fair though, the Penguins didn't lose in the playoffs that year because they didn't have a winger for Crosby. Their problem was that they imploded and Fleury was absolutely atrocious. I don't disagree with you, even with their defense and goaltending playing where it should have been at, I think they wouldn't have gotten past the Devils in round 2. I'm just saying I don't think the Flyers debacle was because of standing pat at the deadline, but I do agree that standing pat hurt the team and they wouldn't have won that year because of it. The Penguins forward group couldn't match up against the Devils in 2012:

Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Sykora
Ponikarovsky-Henrique-Clarkson

The Penguins just couldn't match up to that, that's a fantastic top-9.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
We should be all in for more cups. GMJR needs to do what he has to do for us to keep winning cups.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Sheary, Sprong, 2nd for Brassard
1st for Grabner(50% retention)

Guentzel-Crosby-Grabner
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Simon-Sheahan-Rust

Who cares about the future, amirite? :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, I’d be pissed if we don’t go all in this deadline, aka trade for one of Brassard/Kane/Grabner/another big name.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Minnesota is down 5-2 to Washington right now. If they lose tonight and Colorado wins tomorrow, they're out of a playoff spot. Felt it was worthwhile sharing, since that may have impacts on Cullen. Here's what Mackey today said about Cullen:

I'm the same on Cullen. It's so tight. They could lose a couple games and be in a completely different spot. The Wild, to me, have enough depth and don't really need Cullen; I think these past few games are an aberration, to be honest. And I would expect Boudreau to say nothing but that publicly.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Minnesota is down 5-2 to Washington right now. If they lose tonight and Colorado wins tomorrow, they're out of a playoff spot. Felt it was worthwhile sharing, since that may have impacts on Cullen. Here's what Mackey today said about Cullen:
We need to move on, seriously. JR shouldn’t even consider him until the day of the deadline. Minny only has 5 games or so until the deadline. They’d have to lose every game while the other teams all win games for them to be out of the playoffs significantly by the deadline.

We’ve already been burned by playing the waiting game for Cullen once this season.

Let’s focus on teams that are all but eliminated and might actually be sellers at the deadline.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong, Sheary, 2nd for signed Evander Kane.

I was about to say no, but then I saw Kane would be signed. That makes me think about it a little bit more, but I'd still probably lean no. Re-signing Kane may prohibit the Penguins from bringing back Hornqvist, which is a disaster scenario.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In all seriousness, what is up with this board? 24 hours ago so many of you were saying Sheahan is fine! Now so many are saying Jimmy better go all in? Which one is it??? Flip flop city.
I've maintained my opinion all along, which was we should try and upgrade 3C.

Reactions: Nakawick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->