Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What we need and what we should try to get aren't the same thing imo. I think we need a solid center. But there's no such thing is too good. Make this team as good as we can reasonably make it imo. Don't settle for being a contender if there's a deal available that makes us the favorite.

I don't even know if something big is something the Penguins should do, either. It's something I've actually started debating. Yeah, adding a good player is obviously better than adding a meh player, but is changing a lot worth it at this point?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't even know if something big is something the Penguins should do, either. It's something I've actually started debating. Yeah, adding a good player is obviously better than adding a meh player, but is changing a lot worth it at this point?
if it's Sheary and/or Hunwick as the only roster players out, then absolutely.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
if it's Sheary and/or Hunwick as the only roster players out, then absolutely.

Sheary has been playing well recently and I really like him as a fit on the 4th line with Sheahan, though. Hunwick is whatever, he has played well since coming back into the lineup, but he's the #7 defensemen. He's not going to hurt to lose.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sheary has been playing well recently and I really like him as a fit on the 4th line with Sheahan, though. Hunwick is whatever, he has played well since coming back into the lineup, but he's the #7 defensemen. He's not going to hurt to lose.
I'm not saying we should actively look to get rid of either. But if that's all we lose to get a big upgrade, do it imo. ZAR and Simon are also playing well. We are arguing about how to keep Rust off of the damn 4th line, our wing depth is in a great spot.

If we just get a solid 4C, or a Sheahan level 3C alternative while keeping Sheary, we are in a good spot imo. But if we can get in an even better spot by moving Sheary, then I do it.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not saying we should actively look to get rid of either. But if that's all we lose to get a big upgrade, do it imo. ZAR and Simon are also playing well. We are arguing about how to keep Rust off of the damn 4th line, our wing depth is in a great spot.

If we just get a solid 4C, or a Sheahan level 3C alternative while keeping Sheary, we are in a good spot imo. But if we can get in an even better spot by moving Sheary, then I do it.

You're not wrong :laugh:

I've been thinking about Sobotka for Sheary. It's a little bit more difficult for me to do with Sheary playing well, but that's an intriguing deal for sure. Your 3rd line becomes Sobotka and Kessel with one of Rust or Guentzel, which is obviously a good line. I'd have concerns with the 4th line, but that's because I'm not sold on Simon yet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You're not wrong :laugh:

I've been thinking about Sobotka for Sheary. It's a little bit more difficult for me to do with Sheary playing well, but that's an intriguing deal for sure. Your 3rd line becomes Sobotka and Kessel with one of Rust or Guentzel, which is obviously a good line. I'd have concerns with the 4th line, but that's because I'm not sold on Simon yet.
Sheary for Sobotka would be interesting for sure.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
JR can't sit on this. Whether it's a high impact 3C or a high impact winger, he can't sit on this. As I wrote elsewhere, Murray is on his game. Geno is on another planet. Phil has downshifted a little, but you know what he'll do when the playoffs come. And, you sure as **** know Sid will be all in for the playoffs. You can't count on the stars aligning like this every year. Add in the three peat chance, and it will be bitterly disappointing if JR just tinkers at the margins. Make this team at worst a pick em against anyone, including a team like Tampa, then trust Sid, Geno, and Phil to be the difference.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Will what Sid thinks of Sprong influence if he gets traded?

We have Hornqvist (assume he signs), Kessel and Rust as long term RW’ers.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The fact that Sullivan keeps using Rowney as much as he is tells me they want a right handed 3C.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
JR can't sit on this. Whether it's a high impact 3C or a high impact winger, he can't sit on this. As I wrote elsewhere, Murray is on his game. Geno is on another planet. Phil has downshifted a little, but you know what he'll do when the playoffs come. And, you sure as **** know Sid will be all in for the playoffs. You can't count on the stars aligning like this every year. Add in the three peat chance, and it will be bitterly disappointing if JR just tinkers at the margins. Make this team at worst a pick em against anyone, including a team like Tampa, then trust Sid, Geno, and Phil to be the difference.
exactly. I think we can be a contender with small moves. Honestly, just a 4C. But contender shouldn't be the target, favorite should be.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The fact that Sullivan keeps using Rowney as much as he is tells me they want a right handed 3C.

There’s Pageau as a good one. The other RH ones aren’t that great that seem available

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Where does a high impact winger fit? Our wing combos are: ZAR-Sheary, Hagelin-Hornqvist(assuming healthy), Guentzel-Kessel, Simon-Rust. I would complain if we upgrade, but it better be for one hell of a player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
exactly. I think we can be a contender with small moves. Honestly, just a 4C. But contender shouldn't be the target, favorite should be.

With how they're playing, I think the'yd be the favorite with just adding a good 4C. This team is on absolute fire right now, and any issues with the team when they add a 4C are just of preference. I wouldn't bet on any team against the Penguins if they just add a good 4C.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not a huge fan of this, but how would people feel about Sheary and Hunwick out with Kane and Plekanec, both at 50%, in? I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but I'm curious for what other people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad