Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, this is a really good point to consider too. There's a fine line between adding a piece to help your team win and changing too much on your team. The team is 15-4-1 in their last 20 games. Do you really want to make huge changes at this point? It's something you have to consider, is it even necessary to make such huge changes when your team is on a roll?
I agree about too much upheaval, that's a concern of mine as well. That said Hunwick and Sheahan are newcomers here, so it's not as if we're potentially trading key cogs of our core. I'd be ok with such players being moved because each has been here a half season or so.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Kypreos is saying to not be surprised if Karlsson is traded in the next 9 days. If that happens Ottawa would be in full on fire sale mode (if they aren’t already there). I wonder how that would affect the price for guys like Pageau or Brassard

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I agree about too much upheaval, that's a concern of mine as well. That said Hunwick and Sheahan are newcomers here, so it's not as if we're potentially trading key cogs of our core. I'd be ok with such players being moved because each has been here a half season or so.

The whole argument for getting a player like Brassard is the fact that he is a real improvement over Sheahan and it allows you to have a threat of a 4th line.

Moving Sheahan defeats the purpose of having center depth.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The whole argument for getting a player like Brassard is the fact that he is a real improvement over Sheahan and it allows you to have a threat of a 4th line.

Moving Sheahan defeats the purpose of having center depth.
I see Brassard as the decided upgrade over Sheahan, and Letestu as an upgrade over Rowney. To me that's a pretty big net positive. And the other aspect of that is that Sheary and possibly not even Sprong are moved in that process. Draft picks, GUS sure.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
1st, Sheary, and Gus for Brassard. Thats alot, but id do it..since it would also push Sprong back into the lineup. And Brassard is great in the playoffs.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Rust - Brassard - Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Simon
Reaves, Kuhn, Rowney as depth.

Reaves and Kuhn can rotate with ZAR here and there throughout the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I see Brassard as the decided upgrade over Sheahan, and Letestu as an upgrade over Rowney. To me that's a pretty big net positive. And the other aspect of that is that Sheary and possibly not even Sprong are moved in that process. Draft picks, GUS sure.

And what if Letestu and Brassard both burn out here.

By keeping Sheahan you have a player that has produced. I’m not moving out one of our better wingers, and our only depth center to risk having “better depth”.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You're right. But that package including Hunwick (a longshot to be including in any package involving a quality player coming the other way, IMO) and Sheary would likely include some pretty nice future assets. I mean... if we want back a player like Brassard. And with the Sens... I dunno how interested they are in taking on salary/cap.

It is my hope that in such a situation, you'd get Ottawa to take Hunwick and trade Sheary elsewhere for futures to counterbalance the loss. Possibly over optimistic.

I would rather a lesser option for lesser cost though, I think. Problem is I'm not sure the lesser options I'm thinking of are available.

I wrote this on the last page:

You could in theory move Sheahan, Rowney and Hunwick which equates to 4.9 million. If you send Blueger down (once Horny comes back) In addition to the cap space we already have, you're looking at approx 6.5 million in total cap space. We could get Both Brassard and Letestu if EDM retains 35-50%. We also wouldn't have to move Sheary. We'd likely lose a 1st, a 2hd maybe a 2019 3rd, and one of Sprong or Gus. It's tricky but it is doable.

You also have only one regular PKing centre. Which you can get around but is tricky.

I would far rather move out Sheary in such a scenario.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Letestu is obviously an upgrade on Rowney, but so is Sheahan, and the latter costs nothing because he's already ours. I think there are too many moving parts in your deal and the cost is too high as well. Edmonton aren't going to retain 50% on Letestu without us having to vastly overpay for such a limited player. Then he won't get PP time here and we'll wonder why we even wanted him in the first place. Pass.

Brassard's interesting, though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And what if Letestu and Brassard both burn out here.

By keeping Sheahan you have a player that has produced. I’m not moving out one of our better wingers, and our only depth center to risk having “better depth”.
What better winger are we moving out?

Also Brassards a proven commodity, I'm not sure he's more likely to burn out than a guy like Sheahan.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like the idea of Sheary for Sobotka, to be honest. It works pretty well with the cap, Sobotka is a clear upgrade in the 3C spot and you don't hurt your wing group that badly. I doubt the Penguins would do it, because I honestly doubt they trade Sheary, but it would be a nice deal to happen.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
1st, Sheary, and Gus for Brassard. Thats alot, but id do it..since it would also push Sprong back into the lineup. And Brassard is great in the playoffs.

Rust - Brassard - Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Simon
Reaves, Kuhn.

Reaves and Kuhn and rotate with ZAR here and there throughout the playoffs.
That only saves Ottawa 500k in salary, though. Maybe they flip Sheary? Plus, it doesn't work capwise for Pittsburgh. I could see Ottawa wanting Sheahan because of the salary reasons.

Something I thought about: Acquiring Ryan and Grabner takes up ~3.0m in cap space WITHOUT retention. We currently have ~800k in cap space. Moving Hunwick's cap hit of 2.25m will give us ~3.25m in cap space, thus allowing us to acquire Ryan and Grabner without any retention.

I could see Ryan getting a lower level prospect plus our 2019 third. I could see Grabner getting two second's. A Hunwick trade would most likely look like this: Hunwick, VAN 4th for A borderline NHL player.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Grabner-Ryan/Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR/Simon-Sheahan/Ryan-Rust

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Sheehan > Letestu

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I like Brassard a lot but he doesn't really help us like we fully need. He doesn't PK, like at all. Pageau is a better fit but Brassard obviously is a much better impact player on the offensive side of the house.

Whoever we get should probably be a decent PKer as well.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, this is a really good point to consider too. There's a fine line between adding a piece to help your team win and changing too much on your team. The team is 15-4-1 in their last 20 games. Do you really want to make huge changes at this point? It's something you have to consider, is it even necessary to make such huge changes when your team is on a roll?

That could be a trap, though. I think they’re running out of time to be able to have a solid chunk of time for the team to adapt to major changes, the coaching staff to figure things out and to assess if there would need to be another move.

Adding one player is one thing. Removing Hunwick is one thing. Trading Sheary and adding 2-3 players is another.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is probably short sighted of me but I dunno HOW much I want to toy with this roster the way they are playing. Sure... it's obvious what they COULD use, ideally. But what works on paper doesn't always work on the ice. And tinkering too much when **** is out there humming along pretty well can often have the reverse of the desired effect.

Ray Shero's ghost speaks through you?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Rust - Brassard - Kessel
ZAR - Sheahan - Simon
Reaves, Kuhn, Rowney as depth.

Reaves and Kuhn can rotate with ZAR here and there throughout the playoffs.

I like the trade but I would run

ZAR/Simon Brassard Kessel
ZAR/Simon Sheahan Rust

as your bottom six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad