Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why though? We have the best PK in the league since Thanksgiving or whatever. It certainly would help to have another PK center, but it’s not a mecessity

So you're keeping Rowney in the lineup then? Because Brassard doesn't PK - he never has with something like 60 minutes over 5-6 years.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’d concentrate big time on the centre than wing. The best 3C we can get turns us into a 4 line scoring team with the wingers we have right now.

Agreed. If the last few years should tell you anything, it's that the Pens have a ton of wingers that can play well with quality centers. ZAR was an unproven prospect with moderate upside not that long ago and now looks like a legit top 9 player. That doesn't mean he's a stud, but he can be effective and productive with Crosby. Ditto Simon, Sprong, Sheary, etc.

Pens have the following wings that can play in a top 9 role:
Kessel, Jake, Hornqvist, Rust, Hagelin, Sheary, Simon, ZAR, Sprong.

The Pens have 3 top 9 centers and virtually nothing after that.

Go get your center and if you've subtracted too much depth at wing to do it, then bring in a rental winger to fill the gap.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wouldn’t want Ryan long term. Not keen short term either.

I think Ryan would be a great low key option that would add quality depth to our center group that wouldn't cost a fortune to acquire. Nor would we be doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to find ways to make it work under the cap - ways that we know Rutherford won't want to do.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We need to move salary and get them at full retention. But yeah, that combo would be cheapest acquisition wise and have the most question marks.

It would be moves for the sake of moves and JR likely regretting doing it. Realistically, this will be smaller additions or one more significant addition with someone like Hunwick going out.

K.I.S.S. and all that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Ryan would be a great low key option that would add quality depth to our center group that wouldn't cost a fortune to acquire. Nor would we be doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to find ways to make it work under the cap - ways that we know Rutherford won't want to do.

Low key as a UFA or trade deadline? Carolina is fighting for a playoff spot and currently tied in points for last wild card spot so no idea why they'd trade him away. Also, why would they let him walk as a UFA? If he's "low key" they should re-sign him after the season he's had.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think Ryan would be a great low key option that would add quality depth to our center group that would n't cost a fortune to acquire. Nor would we be doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to find ways to make it work under the cap - ways that we know Rutherford won't want to do.
Is he even available though? Carolina is in the playoff race and for how low his caphit is, the canes probably dont want to get rid of Ryan.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A team that you might want to keep an eye on is Arizona to be honest, they make sense to look at both as a potential landing spot for Hunwick plus a team that could give the Penguins a center. The Penguins could do Connauton and Richardson at 50% for Hunwick and a draft pick/prospect and have it work with the cap, which gives the Penguins a cheaper #7 and upgrades dramatically on Rowney. That seems like a very realistic scenario.

Richardson is having a crappy season this year, but you have to remember he plays for Arizona. Even including this year, he's at a pace of 29 points per 82 games since the start of the 2013-2014 season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So notwithstanding the fact that JR is probably just blowing smoke about being happy with Sheahan as 3c, is anyone else starting to think the Pens should upgrade the 4th line C and spend the real assets to upgrade over Sheary on the left side?

The guy has 8g/23pts in 51 games - and that includes 1pt in his first 10 games. Of those 23 pts, 21 are at ES. Thats a 12.5g/36pt pace, and a 33pt ES pace. I don't think Rutherford has too many issues with RS as his 3C right now - at least not to the extent where he'd pay a fortune for Brassard.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
A team that you might want to keep an eye on is Arizona to be honest, they make sense to look at both as a potential landing spot for Hunwick plus a team that could give the Penguins a center. The Penguins could do Connauton and Richardson at 50% for Hunwick and a draft pick/prospect and have it work with the cap, which gives the Penguins a cheaper #7 and upgrades dramatically on Rowney. That seems like a very realistic scenario.

You're right it does. Bummer.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR will make a deal that helps the Pens. Probably a third line center. No way I want Kane. Cost is to high and he doesn't address the glaring issue. I hop he can find a trading partner but he simply may not and so be it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd want him as the 3C because I feel like he'd fit really well with Kessel.

Thing is, he wouldn't technically be a 3C. What you'd ask him to give you would be a good 8-10 minutes at ES with Phil, then you'd give Phil his random shifts with Geno and to a lesser extent Sid (and maybe Sheahan if you don't have a good 4 RW option).

So, forget 3C or 4C. You call him the 3C because he'd be playing mainly with Phil, but the idea would be to play him maybe 12 minutes a game or so.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I think the way this team is playing right now pretty much guarantees JR will not feel a need to trade Sprong. And that makes me happy.

Reactions: Riptide

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We all know that isn't how it works. Best pick ups =/= all that. But it'd put us in a great spot. Even with a perfect roster, we will need our fair share of bounces and heaven forbid - stay healthy.
Yeah, we are all just greedy though. OMFG GO FOR BRASSARD!!!!!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think Richardson is a bad player, he's just another Sheahan type of center. He's not that sexy name that pushes Sheahan to the 4th line, but I don't think you could get a better 4C than him without breaking the bank.

Yeah I agree. He would be a fine addition. I'm just greedy and want to see JR solve the 3C position for this and next year now. I've been pleased with Sheahan on the whole, but still think he's better away from Kessel.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Played all but 11 games since Thanksgiving.

So he missed 11 games and the PK didn't suffer from his absence? You know what I'm getting at here.

Honestly though, I'm okay with one of Kuhn, Rowney, Reaves in the lineup come playoff time and if it has to be Rowney because of PK and faceoffs, fine by me.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Thing is, he wouldn't technically be a 3C. What you'd ask him to give you would be a good 8-10 minutes at ES with Phil, then you'd give Phil his random shifts with Geno and to a lesser extent Sid (and maybe Sheahan if you don't have a good 4 RW option).

So, forget 3C or 4C. You call him the 3C because he'd be playing mainly with Phil, but the idea would be to play him maybe 12 minutes a game or so.
What names are we hearing, I want some juicy tidbits. NAME NAMES!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->