Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The fact that Sullivan keeps using Rowney as much as he is tells me they want a right handed 3C.

VS what though? I mean who are his other options? Nothing against Blueger, but the kid has never played an NHL game yet... so it's pretty easy to go with the player you know.

Yes he has been. He adds speed and skilled depth to the lineup that can play anywhere (rw/lw, 1st line, 4th line). He's not someone we should be wanting to move. We might have to this summer due to other prospects stepping up, the cap and other needs (aka a center)... but until then we should be trying to keep him at all costs.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It would be moves for the sake of moves and JR likely regretting doing it. Realistically, this will be smaller additions or one more significant addition with someone like Hunwick going out.

K.I.S.S. and all that.
I think we are making a mistake not bringing in a quality center. A center like Letestu, etc, who is enough to bump down Rowney and nothing else would be a regret imo. Granted, that center may not be available and a cheaper option may have to suffice. But I don't want to spend big on a UFA winger either, especially if we need to move out 2 roster players to accommodate the salary.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, we are all just greedy though. OMFG GO FOR BRASSARD!!!!!

That's the beauty of going back to back. This is house money, IMO, and you can't deny it looks good. I can't see why (if we fix our bottom 6 issues) how we wouldn't be equal as contenders as we were in 2016. Or even last year.

Reactions: 66-30-33 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We all know that isn't how it works. Best pick ups =/= all that. But it'd put us in a great spot. Even with a perfect roster, we will need our fair share of bounces and heaven forbid - stay healthy.

Absolutely true, but here's what I know . . .

1. Murray is back.
2. Geno is on another planet.
3. Phil has downshifted a little, but you know what he does when it matters most.
4. And you sure as **** know what Sid will do.

You could take this roster, as it is, and have a chance (and need bounces and shaky goalies like last year).

You could tweak at the margins and have a slightly better chance (and need fewer bounces).

Me, I see 2016. The stars were perfectly aligned. That year, JR didn't need to do anything, because he was getting Geno back to overkill on the one 'hole' the roster had at the deadline.

The stars are perfectly aligned again, except this time he's got to go outside for the overkill solution.

I'm sorry, but if he comes out of this with say Letestu and Pouliot, I'll see this like the 2012 deadline, when this team was stacked and we just needed a winger for Sid as he was returning from concussion . . . and Shero stood pat.

Reactions: ColePens

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Wonder what GMJR offered to Ottawa for Pageau? (assuming he did offer something since it was reported they were interested in him, and of course the Sens declined)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think we're equal last year right now, or damn close. If we aren't there yet, a bargain bin 4C puts us there.

Which is what I would go for. For me, getting Z.Smith from the Sens and then adding a solid 4C would be ideal. You add a gritty LW that CAN slot into C if we are desperate after injuries to our C depth and then you add a solid 4C that is reliable in his own end and isn't a nitwit with the puck.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Which is what I would go for. For me, getting Z.Smith from the Sens and then adding a solid 4C would be ideal. You add a gritty LW that CAN slot into C if we are desperate after injuries to our C depth and then you add a solid 4C that is reliable in his own end and isn't a nitwit with the puck.
Ideal is matching the level of 2016. That will take a more significant add imo.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wonder what GMJR offered to Ottawa for Pageau? (assuming he did offer something since it was reported they were interested in him, and of course the Sens declined)
I haven't been all that impressed with Pageau over the last six weeks. Brassard is infinitely better. If Pageau came cheap sure, but that won't happen. I'd just rather part with an extra asset and go for Brassard. He's looked great this season and his playoff resume is stellar.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think we are making a mistake not bringing in a quality center. A center like Letestu, etc, who is enough to bump down Rowney and nothing else would be a regret imo. Granted, that center may not be available and a cheaper option may have to suffice. But I don't want to spend big on a UFA winger either, especially if we need to move out 2 roster players to accommodate the salary.

I think they have to bring in another centre but it’s not going to be Sheary traded, Hunwick traded, Brassard added, Pouliot added and Cullen added. Sheary out to add Plekanec and Pouliot? I doubt it because how much does that do for them?

We should really hope Melnyk meddles and goes full crazy cheapskate.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The thing that Plekanec does do, IMO, is gives us a better shot to win games if Sid or Geno go down. I don't mean being done for the year, I mean missing half a series, or a couple games, or part of 2 series's. If we only get a cheaper 4c and something happens to Sid or Geno, the Sheahan is 2c and Letestu or whoever is 3c and Rowney is 4c.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think we're equal last year right now, or damn close. If we aren't there yet, a bargain bin 4C puts us there.

True.

At the same time, I think the Pens chances of winning this year are more favorable if we follow the 2016 model.

You know, I've always said Shero learned the wrong lesson from 2008 and 2009. Since we won in 2009, he figured it meant Sid and Geno could make due with less and we could still win a cup. But, that 2008 team was more stacked. It's just that Malkin got hurt in 2008 and Datsyuk was healthy. It was flipped in 2009, and the Pens got the bounces to boot. But, you're more likely to win, all other things being equal, with that 2008 team.

As I said, I see where this team is and the potential three peat, and I think JR needs to do as much as he possibly can to tilt the odds towards the Pens favor. We may win, like 2016, or we may not get the breaks like 2008, but better to go into battle as a pick 'em against the other best teams in the league and then, as I said, trust Sid, Geno, and Phil to be the difference. Better odds in that than to count on getting the breaks, bounces, and bad goalies we got last year.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
disagree. Ideal is matching the level of 2016. That will take a more significant add imo.

I think we have better youth depth this year than last.

Last year we had Wilson as an option for forwards. This year we have Simon, ZAR, and maybe even Sprong. Not to mention the emergence of Rust, Sheahan has been solid, etc.

I think a solid LW add and a better 4C add is enough to get us to where we need to go. It just depends on if the team feels safe with "just enough."

Reactions: Riptide

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
disagree. Ideal is matching the level of 2016. That will take a more significant add imo.
Some people would rather just get by and worry about the future. They don't subscribe to the notion of being aggressive. They're afraid, they're scared, they're risk averse!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think we have better youth depth this year than last.

Last year we had Wilson as an option for forwards. This year we have Simon, ZAR, and maybe even Sprong. Not to mention the emergence of Rust, Sheahan has been solid, etc.

I think a solid LW add and a better 4C add is enough to get us to where we need to go. It just depends on if the team feels safe with "just enough."
I agree with that. I just think there was a HUGE gap between 2016 and 2017. Moves like you said puts us better than last year. But I want to be way closer to 2016 than 2017.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
True.

At the same time, I think the Pens chances of winning this year are more favorable if we follow the 2016 model.

You know, I've always said Shero learned the wrong lesson from 2008 and 2009. Since we won in 2009, he figured it meant Sid and Geno could make due with less and we could still win a cup. But, that 2008 team was more stacked. It's just that Malkin got hurt in 2008 and Datsyuk was healthy. It was flipped in 2009, and the Pens got the bounces to boot. But, you're more likely to win, all other things being equal, with that 2008 team.

As I said, I see where this team is and the potential three peat, and I think JR needs to do as much as he possibly can to tilt the odds towards the Pens favor. We may win, like 2016, or we may not get the breaks like 2008, but better to go into battle as a pick 'em against the other best teams in the league and then, as I said, trust Sid, Geno, and Phil to be the difference. Better odds in that than to count on getting the breaks, bounces, and bad goalies we got last year.
that's what I'm saying, just in way less words ;)

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree with that. I just think there was a HUGE gap between 2016 and 2017. Moves like you said puts us better than last year. But I want to be way closer to 2016 than 2017.
Yeah, we need to be closer to the 2016 team than last years IMO to have a legitimate chance. It's up to JR to add the necessary pieces to help facilitate that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Was Rowney healthy and in the lineup from Thanksgiving until tonight?

He's played 27 of 38 games over that span... so for the vast majority of that time, yes.
Pit's PK:
Nov 23rd-Jan 3rd: 50/55 = 90.9%
Jan 3rd-Feb 1st: 29/34 = 85.3%
Feb 2nd -Feb 18th: 18/22 = 81.8%

So overall without Rowney in the lineup: 29/34 = 85.3%
With Rowney in the lineup: 68/77 = 88.3%

I'm not saying I want him in the lineup... but if we acquire a center that doesn't PK (such as Ryan or Brassard) odds are that he's probably going to be in the lineup as a winger to play on the PK. Especially if the C we get is Brassard who's a LHS and who doesn't PK.

I don't think the RHS vs LHS is that big a deal - as long as they PK... but if neither are things with said center, I think he'll be in the lineup when healthy if only for that aspect of his game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

2017 we won only because we outscored everyone
2016 we outworked everyone, were a true speed demon team that attacked.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's played 27 of 38 games over that span... so for the vast majority of that time, yes.
Pit's PK:
Nov 23rd-Jan 3rd: 50/55 = 90.9%
Jan 3rd-Feb 1st: 29/34 = 85.3%
Feb 2nd -Feb 18th: 18/22 = 81.8%

So overall without Rowney in the lineup: 29/34 = 85.3%
With Rowney in the lineup: 68/77 = 88.3%

I'm not saying I want him in the lineup... but if we acquire a center that doesn't PK (such as Ryan or Brassard) odds are that he's probably going to be in the lineup as a winger to play on the PK. Especially if the C we get is Brassard who's a LHS and who doesn't PK.

I don't think the RHS vs LHS is that big a deal - as long as they PK... but if neither are things with said center, I think he'll be in the lineup when healthy if only for that aspect of his game.
unless we get another winger who can do the same thing you're saying Rowney would do. Which I think is what JR would do in that scenario. It's very clear that Sully isn't happy with Rowney's play based on his minutes. JR will be trying to get him out of the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad