Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like Brassard a lot but he doesn't really help us like we fully need. He doesn't PK, like at all. Pageau is a better fit but Brassard obviously is a much better impact player on the offensive side of the house.

Whoever we get should probably be a decent PKer as well.

Why though? We have the best PK in the league since Thanksgiving or whatever. It certainly would help to have another PK center, but it’s not a mecessity

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, this is a really good point to consider too. There's a fine line between adding a piece to help your team win and changing too much on your team. The team is 15-4-1 in their last 20 games. Do you really want to make huge changes at this point? It's something you have to consider, is it even necessary to make such huge changes when your team is on a roll?

Define huge change.

I only ask because the whole Sheahan and Rowney out question wouldn't strike me as a HUGE change either on the ice or in the room.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I like Brassard a lot but he doesn't really help us like we fully need. He doesn't PK, like at all. Pageau is a better fit but Brassard obviously is a much better impact player on the offensive side of the house.

This article says the Pageau ask is not as much as Brassard. Don’t know how reliable it is, I got the link from Hockey Reference.

Metropolitan Notes: Penguins, Kruger, Jenner

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What better winger are we moving out?

Also Brassards a proven commodity, I'm not sure he's more likely to burn out than a guy like Sheahan.

Its not about quality, its about fit. You don't have to look too far to find examples of guys who went to a team, didn't fit in, and underperformed - we got Hagelin from such a scenario and burned Washington partially because the same thing happened to Shattenkirk.

I'm optimistic that Brassard being an ex-Ranger decreases the risk but its still live.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I like the trade but I would run

ZAR/Simon Brassard Kessel
ZAR/Simon Sheahan Rust

as your bottom six

Wouldnt mind that. Its all about how players are performing come playoff time. Weve seen them switch things around , when lines went stale for a bit. Will probably do the same.

Thats also a reason i think Sully moves players up and down the lineup throughout the year, so everyone gets experiemce playing with each other, in case its needed come playoff time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Pageau works for me too.

Wanna pony up a 1st and Sprong?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A 1st+goalie we won’t play for the foreseeable future+roster player for a dynamite 3C who puts us over the top.

If that’s the basis of the deal with another pick or minor player involved, just f***ing do it.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I’ve been in the Pageau train for a while. Young, cost controlled, still has potential. Then we played the Sens the other day and honestly, I didn’t notice him once. You look at his stats and.. pretty underwhelming.

Brassard otoh.. one of the best on the ice the other night. So noticeable. You gotta go for it. Gus, 1st, Sheary. Sheary is definitely an extra at this point.

I say you take a run at Cullen too. One more PKer to knock Rowney out of the lineup. (hopefully, sully loves his right handed center)

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
As much as I want Brassard, the problem with him is that it still keeps Rowney in the line-up. We could acquire Pouliot and Brassard and Rowney would still be in the line-up, just because hes a right-handed Center that PKs.

Reactions: Riptide

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Derek Ryan has crept into my favorite right now.

Trade minor assets so that Rowney is upgraded. We could dangle Sprong and our first at the draft for a center with term ... if Ryan doesn't resign.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d much rather move a goalie we don’t need and won’t see in the NHL full time for awhile than a guy who can score for us right now.

In general, yes.

But given the whole packages being discussed and who the package is for, I'd rather do the JGP package for JGP than any of the suggested packages for Brassard.

Besides... if they're willing to accept Gustavsson instead of Sprong for one player, surely they're willing to accept him for both? In which case, 1st + Gustavsson for JGP. Yuck, but I'll do it 11 times out of 10 before doing the 1st + 2nd + roster player + Gustavsson/Sprong for Brassard, partially because...

As much as I want Brassard, the problem with him is that it still keeps Rowney in the line-up. We could acquire Pouliot and Brassard and Rowney would still be in the line-up, just because hes a right-handed Center that PKs.

This. JGP is right-handed and kills penalties. Brassard isn't and doesn't. That's huge to me.

Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Trade minor assets so that Rowney is upgraded. We could dangle Sprong and our first at the draft for a center with term ... if Ryan doesn't resign.

I wouldn’t want Ryan long term. Not keen short term either.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I liked Ryan a lot more a month ago. He hasn't scored a point in that time. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's a plan C or D.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pageau would be perfect, but I do not know how well he would mesh with Phil.

Pageau strikes me as a player who is more of a typical 3C who occasionally goes on scoring tears.

Brassard is a guy who can legitimately play with and maximize Kessel.

f*** off with the RHS faceoff PK bullshit. We won 2 Cups with two LHS bottom six centers.

Bring a depth center in for that who can play wing if you’re that worried about it.

Reactions: wheelz87

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don’t know how anyone can look at Letestu as a solution to anything in the Metro Division. You need to keep Sheahan and his size at 4C in this division. Common Sense people.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t know how anyone can look at Letestu as a solution to anything in the Metro Division. You need to keep Sheahan and his size at 4C in this division. Common Sense people.
Sheahan really doesn't use his size though, let's be honest about it. You don't have to like Letestu. But I myself would prefer a Brassard-Letestu combo than a Sheahan- or whatever combo save Brassard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland