Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Everybody's Building Ships and Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we trade Cole for say Bozak hopefully we FINALLY go after Petrovic, been obsessed about getting him for a while. Great Cole replacement.

He would be a great TDL add. But my guess is that the staff sees Hunwick as the replacement and then they'd be on the hunt for a Rudwedel upgrade. Petrovic would be spendy though.

Plus, I think there's a good market for 5/6/7 dmen. Look at Vegas. I bet you could get Garrison @50% for a 6th tomorrow. Guys like that will have some value at the TDL when teams want to shore up. I anticipate us doing that sorta like Hainsey and Streit last year. But that's one of the sucky things about Cole leaving. Dude has been a stalwart for us for 2 seasons.

I'm not sure Jake or Rust as a LW is the type of guy you want with Geno-Sprong, not unless comments about Sprong's play away from the puck are exaggerated.

Team defense is important and play away from the puck is obviously important but sometimes raw offensive talent, especially from someone so young can sometimes we worth the risk. I think of Neal. He wasn't overly impressive defensively...and that didn't matter when he was snipping from the top of the circle on the PP and ripping them top shelf off feeds from Geno. I think there's a balance that could be had. You put someone like Rust or even Hagelin with them who can give the line a defensive boost, and I think you'd be okay. As long as he or the line is scoring at a higher rate then they are giving up goals...I think it's worth it (at the very least to find out).

Re: Cole

The fact that his agent got the word that he could talk to other teams and talk extensions...that's HUGE for value. That's HOLY CRAP! HUGE for value. Cole will be able to semi-select his location and if the teams are calling and looking and talking extension, that could REALLY up his value. I was on the fence a little bit regarding trading him because I was worried it would be something like Cole+high pick/prospect for UFA meh center. I was worried about a Cole+2nd+Simon for Spooner. But if teams are calling, there could be a bit of a bidding war.

Ideally, right now: Cole(extended)+Hagelin+2nd for Bozak+Pickard+Marcinin

Bozak is the obvious 3C, Pickard backs up Murray or starts if Murray is out, Marcinin adds to defensive depth. Cole bolsters there defense, Hagelin replaces a wing like Marleau if is moved to center. 2nd is a 2nd. Could even take out Hags and Marcinin and make it Bozak+Pickard for Cole+2nd. That would be boss.

Lots of interesting options out there right now though. Ottawa has an interesting option in Zach Smith. Toronto obviously has A LOT of intriguing pieces for us right now. I could see Boston being interested. I could see Montreal being in the game. LA I think could be a dark horse team. Edmonton is another that could have a lot of interesting options. I mean, I can make a case for A LOT of teams right now. Tough part is, I know how "I" value Cole...but I have no idea how other GMs or even JR does.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
IF I could figure out a way to move Hagelin as part of a Cole deal, then I would not be averse, assuming it was something around Cole and Hags for 2 forwards. That's actually less a comment on Hags stone hands, by the way, and more a comment on my desire to be rid of his 4M cap hit for next year.

If there’s a way to move that contract then jr better pounce on it. I just don’t see any team wanting to take it without it being a swap of similarly under performing players or paying them to.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I saw Marcinin in the playoffs last year and he looked like an AHL. He was really bad!

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If there’s a way to move that contract then jr better pounce on it. I just don’t see any team wanting to take it without it being a swap of similarly under performing players or paying them to.

I wouldn't really be all that opposed to a similarly under performing player... I just can't think of any names at the moment that might fall under that category

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He would be a great TDL add. But my guess is that the staff sees Hunwick as the replacement and then they'd be on the hunt for a Rudwedel upgrade. Petrovic would be spendy though.

Plus, I think there's a good market for 5/6/7 dmen. Look at Vegas. I bet you could get Garrison @50% for a 6th tomorrow. Guys like that will have some value at the TDL when teams want to shore up. I anticipate us doing that sorta like Hainsey and Streit last year. But that's one of the sucky things about Cole leaving. Dude has been a stalwart for us for 2 seasons.

Team defense is important and play away from the puck is obviously important but sometimes raw offensive talent, especially from someone so young can sometimes we worth the risk. I think of Neal. He wasn't overly impressive defensively...and that didn't matter when he was snipping from the top of the circle on the PP and ripping them top shelf off feeds from Geno. I think there's a balance that could be had. You put someone like Rust or even Hagelin with them who can give the line a defensive boost, and I think you'd be okay. As long as he or the line is scoring at a higher rate then they are giving up goals...I think it's worth it (at the very least to find out).

Re: Cole

The fact that his agent got the word that he could talk to other teams and talk extensions...that's HUGE for value. That's HOLY CRAP! HUGE for value. Cole will be able to semi-select his location and if the teams are calling and looking and talking extension, that could REALLY up his value. I was on the fence a little bit regarding trading him because I was worried it would be something like Cole+high pick/prospect for UFA meh center. I was worried about a Cole+2nd+Simon for Spooner. But if teams are calling, there could be a bit of a bidding war.

Ideally, right now: Cole(extended)+Hagelin+2nd for Bozak+Pickard+Marcinin

Bozak is the obvious 3C, Pickard backs up Murray or starts if Murray is out, Marcinin adds to defensive depth. Cole bolsters there defense, Hagelin replaces a wing like Marleau if is moved to center. 2nd is a 2nd. Could even take out Hags and Marcinin and make it Bozak+Pickard for Cole+2nd. That would be boss.

Lots of interesting options out there right now though. Ottawa has an interesting option in Zach Smith. Toronto obviously has A LOT of intriguing pieces for us right now. I could see Boston being interested. I could see Montreal being in the game. LA I think could be a dark horse team. Edmonton is another that could have a lot of interesting options. I mean, I can make a case for A LOT of teams right now. Tough part is, I know how "I" value Cole...but I have no idea how other GMs or even JR does.

Leafs don't need Hagelin. They're overflowing with wingers.

I mentioned last night to Jiggy, if you want to make the numbers work without retention AND improve the Pens cap position, that something around Cole + Hags for Bozak + Komorov might be interesting.

I've seen some say the Leafs would move Pickard and others say they wouldn't, but you always can add a sweetener if they would.

EDIT: Lately, Bozak and Komorov are the Leafs' 4th line C and LW respectively, so it's not like they'd be giving up something irreplaceable. Same for the Pens with Cole and Hags. I also wonder if Sheahan, who's played C for Babcock, could come into play in one iteration of a deal with Toronto being discussed . . . I'm not saying YES or NO to do it, just wondering if it's being discussed).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not so sure JR wants to deal away Hagelin for this season atleast...imo.
Could be wrong, obviously but just a gut feeling.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not so sure JR wants to deal away Hagelin for this season atleast...imo.
Could be wrong, obviously but just a gut feeling.

That's not 'could be wrong'. It's my understanding that's definitely wrong. The only reason Hags is still on this team is because JR couldn't find a taker for anything short, maybe, or a swap of similarly bad contracts or having to give up too big a sweetener to get someone to take Hags. If it were half as easy to trade him as some think, Hags would've been gone this summer.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hope JR gets all the info on Murray's injury before he trades Cole.

Wouldn't it be funny, if Murray is out longer term, if part of the deal with Vegas is Fleury back with 50% retained for Cole? Cole and Hags plus 2nd for Fleury and Haula would be amazingly crazy...not saying it would happen...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sullivan has just been puzzling so far this season. Maybe Cole has been calling him out on it. His choices on the fourth line, PP and now Cole...who knows what he's doing....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I hope JR gets all the info on Murray's injury before he trades Cole.

Wouldn't it be funny, if Murray is out longer term, if part of the deal with Vegas is Fleury back with 50% retained for Cole? Cole and Hags plus 2nd for Fleury and Haula would be amazingly crazy...not saying it would happen...

Right, but you know who is also out right now? Fleury. Still out with that concussion.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sullivan has just been puzzling so far this season. Maybe Cole has been calling him out on it. His choices on the fourth line, PP and now Cole...who knows what he's doing....
There's really nothing puzzling at all about why Cole's sitting: we have two bottom pairing left D so one of the two needs to sit.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Sully knows what he's doing, that's who. ;)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mentioned last night to Jiggy, if you want to make the numbers work without retention AND improve the Pens cap position, that something around Cole + Hags for Bozak + Komorov might be interesting.

I've seen some say the Leafs would move Pickard and others say they wouldn't, but you always can add a sweetener if they would.

EDIT: Lately, Bozak and Komorov are the Leafs' 4th line C and LW respectively, so it's not like they'd be giving up something irreplaceable. Same for the Pens with Cole and Hags. I also wonder if Sheahan, who's played C for Babcock, could come into play in one iteration of a deal with Toronto being discussed . . . I'm not saying YES or NO to do it, just wondering if it's being discussed).

That would be an interesting swap for sure. And that puts us right at the cap but we also have a plethora of 13/14 F's up. Ideally, if you take the inititive to make a trade like this, hopefully guys like Kuhnhackl, Rowney, McKegg, and Archibald find themselves on waiver wires and then to WBS in favor of some younger guys like Sprong, ZAR, Simon. Just to see...

Maguire was called up from Wheeling this morning.

That could be because Desmith is being recalled.

Would make a lot of sense obviously. If he's coming back, I think they may want to spend as much time with them as possible before the next games. That could...perhaps...signal something bad for Murray.

It's like Sully gets it out of his system in the RS in time for the playoffs. Course, we've all had issues with line ups at some point with Sully. Last year was every bit as frustrating as past years. But I know when it matters, he will make the correct calls. He's earned that benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad