Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Everybody's Building Ships and Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I’d rather Bozak than any C from Vegas not named Karlsson. Happy to trade Reaves though for a more offensive 4th liner.

Hold it . . . IF I could get Huala, then I'd take him over Bozak, especially with that contract. But, Vegas isn't moving him for Cole unless JR has been holding some very compromising pics of GMGM for a moment like this.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so. just had a bad thought. Could the reason this just sprung to life (Ian Cole being shopped) be because Malkin is gonna be out longer term?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd much rather have a left winger then a center, Hags Kuhn on the left side is a bigger issue for me then Sheahan/Rowney at center.

3C is a bigger issue than LW, if only because it's a harder spot to fill. IF you can leverage a Cole deal to get the type of 3C you need, then you worry about LW later (assuming it's still an issue once that 3C is slotted). It's possible, though, that the only issue left would be wingers to flank Shehan on L4.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
so. just had a bad thought. Could the reason this just sprung to life (Ian Cole being shopped) be because Malkin is gonna be out longer term?

Cole was being healthy scratched before Malkin got hurt.

I don't know why I'm surprised, but it's so weird how the main board has a couple posters trying their best to tear down what value Cole might have. He played in a top-4 role last year and did well in that role. He was playing 20 minutes a night overall on the season and 21 minutes a night when Letang was missing a lot of time to injury and he was excelling in that role. So why is it a stretch to say that a team may look at his game last year and think he's a top-4 defenseman? It's not like the main board uses logic anyway, but it just confuses me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

No. The reason this sprung to life is you've got the ball rolling on a divorce and JR decided in the last week to try to leverage one of his relatively few chips into an upgrade at 3C (and the type of guy who can play 2C a little better than Sheahan if one of Sid or Geno is out). This has nothing to do with Geno's status from what I understand.

Reactions: EightyOne

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
My thought is that he would play with Phil which would hopefully mean he produces well. I would like to see a Sprong call up and then run

Sheary Sid Hornqvist
Jake/Rust Malkin Sprong
Jake/Rust Bozak Kessel
Hagelin Sheahan Rowney

I'm not sure Jake or Rust as a LW is the type of guy you want with Geno-Sprong, not unless comments about Sprong's play away from the puck are exaggerated.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Unless Colorado is offering stupid money i can't imagine Cole agreeing to a contract with them.

Toronto and Vegas are both pretty good spots.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I'm not sure Jake or Rust as a LW is the type of guy you want with Geno-Sprong, not unless comments about Sprong's play away from the puck are exaggerated.

I was thinking Rust more than Jake but I'm assuming you mean for defensive purposes? I didn't really think Rust was that bad defensively... Maybe put Hags there instead?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Vegas needs help on defense even though they have a bunch of defensemen, they just have an overflow of bad defensemen. If they watched Cole play last year and think he can be a top-4 defenseman for them, it would make total sense for Vegas to throw assets and money at Cole. Cole did perform well in a top-4 role last year for sure and is a known playoff warrior, so I could definitely see Vegas being extremely interested in Cole. I think Eakin for Cole makes a ton of sense, because Eakin is a top end 3rd liner or a 2nd/3rd line tweener and he fits the Penguins style extremely well. It's just a question of how to make it work with the cap.

A Hagelin-Eakin-Kessel line, oh boy, that speed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was thinking Rust more than Jake but I'm assuming you mean for defensive purposes? I didn't really think Rust was that bad defensively... Maybe put Hags there instead?

I absolutely LOVE Rust's 200 foot game on the RW. On the LW, there's a drop off. He's not Conor Sheary on the RW bad defensively, but there's definitely a drop off.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I absolutely LOVE Rust's 200 foot game on the RW. On the LW, there's a drop off. He's not Conor Sheary on the RW bad defensively, but there's definitely a drop off.

Maybe try Sprong on LW on that line possibly? It's nice to be talking about this many winger combo options. I never thought it would be like this lol

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Vegas needs help on defense even though they have a bunch of defensemen, they just have an overflow of bad defensemen. If they watched Cole play last year and think he can be a top-4 defenseman for them, it would make total sense for Vegas to throw assets and money at Cole. Cole did perform well in a top-4 role last year for sure and is a known playoff warrior, so I could definitely see Vegas being extremely interested in Cole. I think Eakin for Cole makes a ton of sense, because Eakin is a top end 3rd liner or a 2nd/3rd line tweener and he fits the Penguins style extremely well. It's just a question of how to make it work with the cap.

Eakin is going at his traditional 35 or so point pace, so it seems like last year in Dallas was an aberration rather than a sign of a downward trend. But, simply speaking in terms of the eye test, Eakin isn't the guy I grab IF I want to separate Phil and Geno. I want someone with a little more offensive game (talking eye test here). If Colorado ate dollars and the contracts were equal, I think I might prefer Soderberg.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Don't need to play defense when you have the puck. A Guentzel-Malkin-Sprong line would be good.

And Malkin is really really good defensively when the games matter. Like selke good. Also Jake is decent defensively, I wouldn't call him good or bad defensively, just average. Not near Sheary level.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

We have some good winger combos right now:

Sheary Hornqvist for L1 or 3
Guentzel Rust for L2 or 3
Hagelin Kessel for L2 or 3

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't need to play defense when you have the puck. A Guentzel-Malkin-Sprong line would be good.

And Malkin is really really good defensively when the games matter. Like selke good. Also Jake is decent defensively, I wouldn't call him good or bad defensively, just average. Not near Sheary level.

That would be the optimistic scenario. :thumbu:

Reactions: PensandCaps

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We have some good winger combos right now:

Sheary Hornqvist for L1 or 3
Guentzel Rust for L2 or 3
Hagelin Kessel for L2 or 3

IF I could figure out a way to move Hagelin as part of a Cole deal, then I would not be averse, assuming it was something around Cole and Hags for 2 forwards. That's actually less a comment on Hags stone hands, by the way, and more a comment on my desire to be rid of his 4M cap hit for next year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
IF I could figure out a way to move Hagelin as part of a Cole deal, then I would not be averse, assuming it was something around Cole and Hags for 2 forwards. That's actually less a comment on Hags stone hands, by the way, and more a comment on my desire to be rid of his 4M cap hit for next year.

Oh for sure that cap hit sucks if he’s putting up minimal points. If we get a good 3C it’s good enough for this year for on the ice. We don’t have a huge cap crunch next season but having him will limit our roster building options

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Cole+Hagelin+2nd for Haula and Eakin? Then roll with

Sheary Sid Hornqvist
Jake Malkin Rust
Eakin Haula Kessel

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eakin is going at his traditional 35 or so point pace, so it seems like last year in Dallas was an aberration rather than a sign of a downward trend. But, simply speaking in terms of the eye test, Eakin isn't the guy I grab IF I want to separate Phil and Geno. I want someone with a little more offensive game (talking eye test here). If Colorado ate dollars and the contracts were equal, I think I might prefer Soderberg.

I think considering the skills that the Penguins lost when they lost Bonino and Cullen, I think Eakin would make more sense than a more offensive 3C in Soderberg. Soderberg isn't a center like Spooner, but I do think he leans more of an offensive 3C than a 2-way 3C. I would consider Eakin a 2-way 3C, he's basically the same player as peak Hagelin if Hagelin played center. I think him and Kessel would mesh incredibly well, you'd just want to put a grittier LW with those 2. Eakin is a guy I'd be confident in playing Kessel with.

Cole+Hagelin+2nd for Haula and Eakin? Then roll with

Sheary Sid Hornqvist
Jake Malkin Rust
Eakin Haula Kessel

Replace Haula with Lindberg and you're probably closer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think considering the skills that the Penguins lost when they lost Bonino and Cullen, I think Eakin would make more sense than a more offensive 3C in Soderberg. Soderberg isn't a center like Spooner, but I do think he leans more of an offensive 3C than a 2-way 3C. I would consider Eakin a 2-way 3C, he's basically the same player as peak Hagelin if Hagelin played center. I think him and Kessel would mesh incredibly well, you'd just want to put a grittier LW with those 2. Eakin is a guy I'd be confident in playing Kessel with.

I'm less optimistic.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Honestly I don't know much about Lindberg? What's his style of play like?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh for sure that cap hit sucks if he’s putting up minimal points. If we get a good 3C it’s good enough for this year for on the ice. We don’t have a huge cap crunch next season but having him will limit our roster building options

We may not have a huge cap crunch next year, but you're looking at extending Horny and Rust. That won't be a drop in the bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad