Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Everybody's Building Ships and Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
No, I'm saying that media guys are fed information. When Bob alludes to JR asking too much and not to assume a deal gets done (if that's what JR is asking), then SOMEONE is sending a message.

It COULD be another team.

It COULD be JR basically saying 'I'm not moving him unless I get the right deal'.

Do you have any updated understandings of the situation?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The powers that be just sent Bobby Mac a message.

The only question is which powers. JR sending a message saying he's not giving Cole away, or a team with which JR is talking saying you're asking too much? Or maybe both sending messages to one another?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Do you have any updated understandings of the situation?

I do NOT have a confirmed understanding of the Bobby Mac tweets. I have been told in the past that if it's coming from JR, then one of the guys you'll hear it from is McKenzie. But, JR isn't the only GM to whom that applies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I do NOT have a confirmed understanding of the Bobby Mac tweets. I have been told in the past that if it's coming from JR, then one of the guys you'll hear it from is McKenzie. But, JR isn't the only GM to whom that applies.

I meant more with Cole then McKenzie

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I meant more with Cole then McKenzie

What more needed to be understood? Several sources have come out and said that they want to trade him. Or rather - would like to trade him.

I'm sure it's a combo of play, contract status, roster needs as to why it's him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I dunno. Seems to me that they're in an awful rush to get rid of him.

Normally, when a team has a hole to fill, they identify targets and haggle over who or what's going back. "We have this guy who's available and want to ship him out by the end of the week. What'll you give us?" isn't usually how this is done, as I understand it, unless there's some problem between him and someone on the team, the coaching staff, management or ownership.

It's possible JR has considered this all year and recently got close to working out a deal. Cole sitting out likely means a deal is close. Plus, it coincides with Hunwick coming back so maybe JR and Sully wanted to see a few games with a Cole-less lineup before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
What more needed to be understood? Several sources have come out and said that they want to trade him. Or rather - would like to trade him.

I'm sure it's a combo of play, contract status, roster needs as to why it's him.

I meant more along the lines of if anything was happening soon or if it's starting to maybe fall through

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That would be bad if they don’t have a trade hashed out. You can’t bench a guy trying to trade him and then have it fall through. Sorry, Ian, you can play again.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All that the tweets from McKenzie tell me is that Cole isn't being just being traded for anything, he's going to be traded for value and center help now. That's really all I take from Bob's tweet. Saying "if they don't get what they want, they won't trade him" isn't exactly ground breaking stuff.

I usually don't doubt McKenzie when it comes to the Pwnguins, but in this case, I believe Mackey and Bombulie (who's saying the same thing) more than McKenzie. I would believe that McKenzie's tweet is JR pushing other teams through the media, more than I would believe McKenzie is refuting Mackey.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hes not good enough for that made up rule to apply.
How is that a made up rule? Jimmy is going to look like such an idiot if they don’t make a trade involving Cole. If you are going to do this you better be damn sure something is all but agreed to.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If JR pulls off a high end 3rd line center with Cole as the main piece, I will never doubt the man again (until the next time I doubt him).

Reactions: KIRK

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
All that the tweets from McKenzie tell me is that Cole isn't being just being traded for anything, he's going to be traded for value and center help now. That's really all I take from Bob's tweet. Saying "if they don't get what they want, they won't trade him" isn't exactly ground breaking stuff.

I usually don't doubt McKenzie when it comes to the Pwnguins, but in this case, I believe Mackey and Bombulie (who's saying the same thing) more than McKenzie.

Yeah like I said I can't see Mackey (especially after calling a trade that happened pretty recently) being that far off on this. I feel like some details are being worked through but the basis of a deal is in place. Some of those details are probably an extension with the team he would be going to

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Looks as though I didn't miss anything yet. Does anyone have any juicy tidbits to share?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Let's say Vegas is interested in a signed Cole. Depending on the center, that could be a really nice trade because you likely could get a rental D coming back to fill the 6-7 role. Problem is most of their pending UFA dmen have higher cap hits.

Eakin is most logical choice given his age vs their contending time, but do they really want to eat money on that contract for 3 years with Cole as the main piece coming back?

I wonder what a signed Cole + Hagelin gets you. My dream trade in this scenario is something like Cole + Hagelin + 1st for Karlsson + Sbisa. Call up Sprong and roll with:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Karlsson-Sprong
Rowney-Sheahan-Reaves
Archi-Kuhnhackl

Maatta-Letang
Hunwick-Schultz
Dumo-Ruh/Sbisa

That's highly unlikely since Karlsson is scoring at will right now, but I'd be willing to part with the 1st+ if I get a young cost controlled center coming back.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Looks as though I didn't miss anything yet. Does anyone have any juicy tidbits to share?
Whatever happens, JR was right. Hindsight is 2020. JR will be celebrated for making a trade or if he doesn’t pull the trigger.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Let's say Vegas is interested in a signed Cole. Depending on the center, that could be a really nice trade because you likely could get a rental D coming back to fill the 6-7 role. Problem is most of their pending UFA dmen have higher cap hits.

Eakin is most logical choice given his age vs their contending time, but do they really want to eat money on that contract for 3 years with Cole as the main piece coming back?

I wonder what a signed Cole + Hagelin gets you. My dream trade in this scenario is something like Cole + Hagelin + 1st for Karlsson + Sbisa. Call up Sprong and roll with:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Karlsson-Sprong
Rowney-Sheahan-Reaves
Archi-Kuhnhackl

Maatta-Letang
Hunwick-Schultz
Dumo-Ruh/Sbisa

That's highly unlikely since Karlsson is scoring at will right now, but I'd be willing to part with the 1st+ if I get a young cost controlled center coming back.

Doesn't Vegas already have too many defensemen? I wouldn't think that'd be a need for them.

As far as Eakin goes, I just am not a huge fan of his. He's solid defensively and pretty good on face offs, but offensively I'd hope for better. I'd rather gamble on Lindberg.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I know I've been critical of JR for not addressing this situation sooner, but one thing I love about him is that he doesn't sit on his hands when he sees a problem. Shero was cautious to a fault IMO and only made hockey trades if he knew he was knocking it out of the park on value. Otherwise, he spent futures on band aids. JR seems much more willing to blow shit up to get what he wants. There's a higher risk of failure, but there's also a greater chance of real success.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Doesn't Vegas already have too many defensemen? I wouldn't think that'd be a need for them.

As far as Eakin goes, I just am not a huge fan of his. He's solid defensively a pretty good on face offs, but offensively I'd hope for better. I'd rather gamble on Linberg.

Yes they have too many, but the following are number 6-8's that are pending UFA's:

Sbisa, Stoner, Garrison, and McNabb (probably a 4-5), and Engo (likely re-signed due to Vegas being "home"). If those 4 walk this summer or are dealt at the deadline, they will be left with:

Schmidt (UFA after 18-19)
Merrill - RFA
Miller - RFA
Engo - UFA but likely re-signed
Theodore - RFA
Hunt

Schmidt, Miller, and Theodore are only top 4 guys. Cole would make them better short term and give them some certainty long term. He'd be a 2nd pairing guy and one with Cup experience.

What I don't know is why GMGM would move any of their centers to sign a guy long term on D. I can't see JR coveting Lindberg enough to move Cole and I can't see GMGM wanting to move either of Karlsson or Haula for a 4-5 dman.

That leaves Eakin and his contract structure is a tough fit for the Pens.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Karlsson-Sprong
Rowney-Sheahan-Reaves
Archi-Kuhnhackl

Maatta-Letang
Hunwick-Schultz
Dumo-Ruh/Sbisa

Sbisa? Is it a dream or a nightmare?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I know I've been critical of JR for not addressing this situation sooner, but one thing I love about him is that he doesn't sit on his hands when he sees a problem. Shero was cautious to a fault IMO and only made hockey trades if he knew he was knocking it out of the park on value. Otherwise, he spent futures on band aids. JR seems much more willing to blow **** up to get what he wants. There's a higher risk of failure, but there's also a greater chance of real success.
Except this team lost all of its depth in July. Are people really still arguing that this roster constructed this summer wouldn’t have serious issues?
The reason why I’m so critical of Jimmy is because he went against his agressive mindset this last offseason.

Did you really think a bottom six of Rowney, McKegg, Kuhn, Reaves would be formidable? Shouldn’t he have seen an issue with this team dating back to July 1st??? I feel that he sat on his hands too much this summer.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Except this team lost all of its depth in July. Are people really still arguing that this roster constructed this summer wouldn’t have serious issues?
The reason why I’m so critical of Jimmy is because he went against his agressive mindset this last offseason.

Did you really think a bottom six of Rowney, McKegg, Kuhn, Reaves would be formidable? Shouldn’t he have seen an issue with this team dating back to July 1st??? I feel that he sat on his hands too much this summer.

He was probably trying to get Duchene and being patient. Too many moves early on could have messed that up. Now he didn’t get him so now he’s really pushing it.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->