Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I didn't see anyone else on that line that could drive the play. it seems to me that he also did it on the leafs.

I guess we have different opinions of “driving” a line.

Being in the right position to get a clean break and scoring goals to me isn’t driving the line.

I’d argue Bonino and Hagelin did a ton of work on that line and it was why they worked with Hornqvist as well.

Reactions: JackFr

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No, he was a RFA last year I believe....

He was an RFA.

Until he wasn't qualified - then he became a UFA.

Ol' Ripper is correct.

And the funny part (unless you're Sheahan or his agent) is Rutherford didn't qualify him for fear of what arbitration numbers could bring. He was well placed to find some security in terms of money and term.

Instead he came back here for a 1 year contract with dubious prospects and ruined that. Which was entirely predictable. Unless he thought Brassard wouldn't be at 3C, it makes no sense. He should have taken term, here or elsewhere.

If we pay him 3m next year, he's probably been a big part of a playoff run, because I don't see what else he could to justify that by now. I guess lets hope for it then :P

Is it? I see no evidence outside of HBK that Kessel can drive his own line here.

And as I said to @KIRK over the summer. I’m not even sure Kessel was the one driving that line.

While I share this doubt, having Kessel on the 3rd is the quickest way to turn a good pairing that drives play mostly the right way into a positive force, because he can bring the finishing touch. In comparison, he very rarely elevates Sid or Geno much beyond what they can do with lesser linemates anyway.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
In practice or in theory? Because in theory we have the bodies that should be able to give us that type of competitive edge. Unfortunately theory is great until it gets put into play... and on the ice we only have 1 top line. I personally don't think L3 is all that salvageable with Brassard centering it, and L2 is entirely dependent on Malkin getting out of his funk.

We had success in the regular season last year with him on L3 with Sheahan. Kessel had 6g/17pts at ES over 24 games between Jan 1 and the TD. The team went 17-6-1 over that span and scored 97g or 4 goals a game.

That was also with Guentzel on the other side correct?

So, once again the same structure as JVR and Bozak in Toronto. A player that is finesse enough to get the puck over to Kessel and also has some grit in the corners and a relatively stable center that can spring Kessel.

I don’t have a huge issue with the 3 line formula. But, I’m not really sure Kessel can do much on his own to drive his line. He’ll score on his own, but HBK was more than just scoring and why when Kessel is put with Malkin their production isn’t just enough.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ol' Ripper is correct.

And the funny part (unless you're Sheahan or his agent) is Rutherford didn't qualify him for fear of what arbitration numbers could bring. He was well placed to find some security in terms of money and term.

Instead he came back here for a 1 year contract with dubious prospects and ruined that. Which was entirely predictable. Unless he thought Brassard wouldn't be at 3C, it makes no sense. He should have taken term, here or elsewhere.

If we pay him 3m next year, he's probably been a big part of a playoff run, because I don't see what else he could to justify that by now. I guess lets hope for it then :P

While I share this doubt, having Kessel on the 3rd is the quickest way to turn a good pairing that drives play mostly the right way into a positive force, because he can bring the finishing touch. In comparison, he very rarely elevates Sid or Geno much beyond what they can do with lesser linemates anyway.

Or we just deal with Kessel with Sid or Geno and structure a 3rd line around Brassard that isn’t oil and water. Going back to my point of GCK being used and hoping the remaining four wings can find some chemistry with Geno or Brass.

Or you move out Brassard and hope Sheahan is good enough or you get another Bonino like player.

I think both of those are foolish options though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That was also with Guentzel on the other side correct?

So, once again the same structure as JVR and Bozak in Toronto. A player that is finesse enough to get the puck over to Kessel and also has some grit in the corners and a relatively stable center that can spring Kessel.

I don’t have a huge issue with the 3 line formula. But, I’m not really sure Kessel can do much on his own to drive his line. He’ll score on his own, but HBK was more than just scoring and why when Kessel is put with Malkin their production isn’t just enough.

Not sure. For some of it, yes, but I do not think he was there for that entire time.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Or we just deal with Kessel with Sid or Geno and structure a 3rd line around Brassard that isn’t oil and water. Going back to my point of GCK being used and hoping the remaining four wings can find some chemistry with Geno or Brass.

Or you move out Brassard and hope Sheahan is good enough or you get another Bonino like player.

The issue with Kessel on L1 is that we're not moving Guentzel off it it anytime soon based on how him and Crosby have been doing. To add to that, it's not like Crosby and Guentzel need any more offensive help given how successful they've been, so I'm really not sure why you'd go from Rust or ZAR to Kessel there.

However, if we were going to move Guentzel to L2/3, then putting Kessel on L1 wouldn't be that big of a deal (assuming all lines were successful). But as that's likely a moot point for the time being, I don't think it's worth much consideration until Guentzel and Crosby slow down.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Kessel in the top 6 has frequently been oil and water too though. Its great that GCK has found some chemistry and maybe that should be tested more given the way things are going, but my guess is that if you start playing them regularly against better teams than the Islanders and Sens you'll pay. You've also dramatically lowered the scoring potential of the middle 6.

And tbh, if we're going to force things and hope, I'd rather keep hoping it works on the 3rd line for now as that's the one that makes us greatest if it takes off.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I suspect Sid’s favourite line mate is Guentzel and on the right either Simon or Rust. For the most part I don’t think Sully will deviate from that too much in the regular season anyway. There’s not a lot of good reasons too.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Looks like they played 20 minutes together away from Jake at 5v5 from Jan 1 through Feb 28th.

127 together. I’d assume mostly they were lined up together.

Where did you find this info? I usually use NST, but only see season to season, not an option to go with custom dates.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Where did you find this info? I usually use NST, but only see season to season, not an option to go with custom dates.

If you click the filters button, you can filter by date range, or last X team games played.

Reactions: Riptide

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Imperative that JR fixes the 3rd line..well to get a C that potentially lifts it up a couple notches in terms of a line that can tilt ice with or without Phil on it.

1st line - confident in that.
2nd line - you just have to have faith that G with or without Phil is gonna peak at the right time.
4th line - plenty of 4th liners to make a good one.

The D you MIGHT be able to gamble on Schultz being good enough to make it an ice tilting 6.

Can't waste the opportunity you have with how Letang, Sid and Murray are going right now.
Got to fix that 3rd line with Brass here or not, don't care.

Last edited:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
IMO we have 3 needs that could propel the team to the next level:

-Get Geno some help. I dont know if we have the right wingers to really get Geno to his A game. I think this is the least likely to be solved.
-Fix the 3C spot. We can either wait and hope brass figures it out, or make a trade.
-Acquire a defencemen that can further help our transition game. The defence is obviously playing well right now but I feel like we need one more guy capable of moving the puck well.

The depth is certainly there and Murray is playing incredible right now. We are certainly in a better situation than last season. 40 games left though so alot can change.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
IMO we have 3 needs that could propel the team to the next level:

-Get Geno some help. I dont know if we have the right wingers to really get Geno to his A game. I think this is the least likely to be solved.
-Fix the 3C spot. We can either wait and hope brass figures it out, or make a trade.
-Acquire a defencemen that can further help our transition game. The defence is obviously playing well right now but I feel like we need one more guy capable of moving the puck well.

The depth is certainly there and Murray is playing incredible right now. We are certainly in a better situation than last season. 40 games left though so alot can change.

We have that type of D man on the roster. He’ll be back soon-ish.

Move Brassard, Oleksiak (plus picks whatever) to get the 3C and a LW.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We have that type of D man on the roster. He’ll be back soon-ish.

Move Brassard, Oleksiak (plus picks whatever) to get the 3C and a LW.

It really depends on how schultz looks when he returns. Considering how serious the injury was, he might not be 100%.

I think you wait until end of January and let Brassard play with the same linemates. If he doesnt show any pulse, start looking around for a better fit.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It really depends on how schultz looks when he returns. Considering how serious the injury was, he might not be 100%.

I think you wait until end of January and let Brassard play with the same linemates. If he doesnt show any pulse, start looking around for a better fit.

If you can get another good D man sure but it’ll be hard to get everything we want.

If I’m JR I’m looking hard at moving Brassard now. If you don’t get a good deal he can wait it out though.

The LW should be the easiest to acquire depending on how good he wants them to be. Think a tweener with the right attributes is good enough but start looking higher first and see what’s out there

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you can get another good D man sure but it’ll be hard to get everything we want.

If I’m JR I’m looking hard at moving Brassard now. If you don’t get a good deal he can wait it out though.

The LW should be the easiest to acquire depending on how good he wants them to be. Think a tweener with the right attributes is good enough but start looking higher first and see what’s out there

Who are we bringing the LW to replace?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Who are we bringing the LW to replace?

I’d rather see Simon with Sid. So pretty much Sheahan. We don’t necessarily have to get rid of him if we don’t need the cap.

This obviously doesn’t have to be the line up but I like those as our top 12 forwards and if we bring in the right guys we can be flexible and keep the balance/diversity (whatever you want to call it) for each line.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Trade-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Trade-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad