Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is the general consensus of the return we can get for Maatta?

Probably a similarly aged middle-6 center or winger. You could probably pull off a center like Danault or Faksa for Maatta straight up.

Maatta probably won't be traded, I imagine they'd rather see how Maatta-Schultz looks when Schultz gets back.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But we are most likely shipping out a defender before the deadline, right? I assume Oleksiak in that case?

I think people are getting ahead of themselves when assuming Oleksiak will move. I think it's very likely they just trade Ruhwedel for a 3rd or so and then run with Riikola and Oleksiak as the extra D for the rest of this year. I think the team values having a tough guy who can legitimately play everyday, especially a defenseman who can comfortably play either side.

Like I said, my guess is Rubwedel for a mid round pick and then acquiring a bottom-6 rental. I don't expect much more than that outside of maybe a Brassard trade.

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Probably a similarly aged middle-6 center or winger. You could probably pull off a center like Danault or Faksa for Maatta straight up.

Maatta probably won't be traded, I imagine they'd rather see how Maatta-Schultz looks when Schultz gets back.

Danault would be my dream 3C right now. The guy gets tough zone starts, absolutely kills it in possession, produces at a 50+ point pace, makes 3 mil per for the next 2 years, and he's only 25.

If we could get him for Maatta I'd flip. Can't imagine why Montreal would want to move him though.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Danault would be my dream 3C right now. The guy gets tough zone starts, absolutely kills it in possession, produces at a 50+ point pace, makes 3 mil per for the next 2 years, and he's only 25.

If we could get him for Maatta I'd flip. Can't imagine why Montreal would want to move him though.

They wouldn’t. Especially when they can get playoff revenue. Don’t know why people keep bringing his name up.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think people are getting ahead of themselves when assuming Oleksiak will move. I think it's very likely they just trade Ruhwedel for a 3rd or so and then run with Riikola and Oleksiak as the extra D for the rest of this year. I think the team values having a tough guy who can legitimately play everyday, especially a defenseman who can comfortably play either side.

Like I said, my guess is Rubwedel for a mid round pick and then acquiring a bottom-6 rental. I don't expect much more than that outside of maybe a Brassard trade.

Oleksiak is an expensive #8 when they probably will need the cap space.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I don't think the Penguins need any cap space right now, though.

Need no but JR is in charge. He’s going to do something. If it’s big hopefully the earlier the better. At a guess I’d say big earlier trades work out better than big deadline trades. Not much time left in the season to the playoffs after the deadline.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

At this point I'm really not worried about the D, Schultz gives us the puck mover we need, there isn't anyone better we can acquire anyways. We can work out the logjam at the 7/8/9 D slot any number of ways.

The big thing we need is a 3C who is defensively strong with some grit, who will go to the greasy areas, stop and start, and can get the puck to Phil. So, the opposite of what we have now. The good version of Sheahan, with more consistency.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Need no but JR is in charge. He’s going to do something. If it’s big hopefully the earlier the better. At a guess I’d say big earlier trades work out better than big deadline trades. Not much time left in the season to the playoffs after the deadline.

Yes, and without subtracting big names off the roster, he's basically limited to adding depth pieces. The extent of what he'll most likely do at the deadline is a Hainsey type of acquisition for the bottom-6, that's about all I expect him to do.

With Crosby and Guentzel starting to PK regularly recently, I expect Sheahan and Ruhwedel to get moved out and a bottom-6 LWer with speed to get added. I don't see any reason to expect the Penguins to do more. They may be in on some bigger names, but you shouldn't expect them to acquire any of them.

At this point I'm really not worried about the D, Schultz gives us the puck mover we need, there isn't anyone better we can acquire anyways. We can work out the logjam at the 7/8/9 D slot any number of ways.

The big thing we need is a 3C who is defensively strong with some grit, who will go to the greasy areas, stop and start, and can get the puck to Phil. So, the opposite of what we have now. The good version of Sheahan, with more consistency.

That's if they trade Brassard, if they don't move him, they don't really need to touch the 3C spot. With the team winning a bunch right now, I think it's more likely that they just deal with Brassard and let him walk after the year. You may see him moved for a type of 3C that you're talking about, but I find it unlikely with how the team is performing.

With some player examples, I expect we'll see something like:

Sheahan to Colorado for a 3rd/4th
Ruhwedel to Dallas for a 3rd/4th
A 2nd and a prospect to Ottawa for Dzingel

If Kunitz wasn't washed up at this point, I'd totally expect the Penguins to acquire him. But he is washed up at this point.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Yes, and without subtracting big names off the roster, he's basically limited to adding depth pieces. The extent of what he'll most likely do at the deadline is a Hainsey type of acquisition for the bottom-6, that's about all I expect him to do.

With Crosby and Guentzel starting to PK regularly recently, I expect Sheahan and Ruhwedel to get moved out and a bottom-6 LWer with speed to get added. I don't see any reason to expect the Penguins to do more. They may be in on some bigger names, but you shouldn't expect them to acquire any of them.

I don’t think JR or Sully are happy with Brassard and their patience is waning. I can see JR going for more of an upgrade on LW too.

The D I think they are generally happy with given Schultz will be back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But we are most likely shipping out a defender before the deadline, right? I assume Oleksiak in that case?

That's been the assumption, and I still think its really likely one of them gets moved, but now that I'm thinking about it I really wouldn't be surprised if Rutherford simply sends Riikola down/waives Ruhwedel and keeps all the dmen. That sounds like something he'd do.

The something doesn't have to involve the D though. Sure, its a good source of cap that many of us would like to use, but he could totally clear enough cap for his plans from the Forwards.

Getting a third for Ruh sounds a little optimistic.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t think JR or Sully are happy with Brassard and their patience is waning. I can see JR going for more of an upgrade on LW too.

The D I think they are generally happy with given Schultz will be back.

I think you're overestimating how willing JR will be to make trades when the team is winning. The most I can see them doing is moving Brassard, and I'm iffy on it. Once you move Brassard, you won't even need any more cap space for a 3C, because you're already clearing out $3 million in cap by moving him. I don't think this is like last year, where the Penguins had a band-aid as their 3C and wanted to get better. Brassard is supposed to be a big time acquisition.

I don't know of many better 3C options that may be available right now that wouldn't cost something crazy. What options are there out there that don't involve trading someone like Maatta or Rust? I guess Johansson if you think he can play center still, but I'm not sure of anyone beyond that.

Getting a third for Ruh sounds a little optimistic.

Looking at past UFA deals, I'm not sure it is. It depends on the market, teams have given up 3rd rounders for guys like Mike Weber in the past.

Either way, the return for him doesn't really matter, it's just that he's the guy that will likely be moved.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just throwing this out, here are all of the pending UFA centers on non-playoff teams right now:

Lehtera
Johansson (it's probably not even accurate to call him a center)
Staal
Kruger
Boyle
Weal
Thompson

Not exactly an inspiring list here. You have Staal, who Minnesota likely won't want to trade when they're so close to a playoff spot, Johansson, who's probably only a winger nowadays, and a bunch of 4Cs. If you think he'll be a big difference maker, maybe you trade for Boyle and move Brassard? I hate the idea, but maybe? That's about all I can come up with.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
According to writers who've spoken with people on background in the Penguins organization, there's no desire to trade Olli Maatta. Like, to them it's laughable to even suggest.

You mean according to Jason “Brassard is never happening” Mackey. But Olli is not a must move for me so long as he’s kept away from Oleksiak. He’s easily better than Johnson and Rig anyway.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Just throwing this out, here are all of the pending UFA centers on non-playoff teams right now:

Lehtera
Staal
Kruger
Boyle
Weal
Thompson

Not exactly an inspiring list here. You have Staal, who Minnesota likely won't want to trade when they're so close to a playoff spot, Johansson, who's probably only a winger nowadays, and a bunch of 4Cs. If you think he'll be a big difference maker, maybe you trade for Boyle and move Brassard? I hate the idea, but maybe? That's about all I can come up with.

I think JR would be looking at C’s with term too/RFA’s and would be his preference as we don’t have any bottom 6 centres signed for next season.

Brassard can be used for non playoff teams like Cole was with Ottawa but obviously with a higher value at the deadline (likely a 1st).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Lehtera
Staal
Kruger
Boyle
Weal
Thompson

I’d actually move Sheahan for Boyle. Let New Jersey resign Riley as a C option and get a better “win now” winger for the fourth line.

Issue is that doesn’t solve the Brassard underperformance.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you're overestimating how willing JR will be to make trades when the team is winning. The most I can see them doing is moving Brassard, and I'm iffy on it. Once you move Brassard, you won't even need any more cap space for a 3C, because you're already clearing out $3 million in cap by moving him. I don't think this is like last year, where the Penguins had a band-aid as their 3C and wanted to get better. Brassard is supposed to be a big time acquisition.

I don't know of many better 3C options that may be available right now that wouldn't cost something crazy. What options are there out there that don't involve trading someone like Maatta or Rust? I guess Johansson if you think he can play center still, but I'm not sure of anyone beyond that.

We're talking the same GM who tried to get Duchene at the trade deadline in 16-17 and got Brassard and tried to get McDonagh last year, right?

Looking at past UFA deals, I'm not sure it is. It depends on the market, teams have given up 3rd rounders for guys like Mike Weber in the past.

Either way, the return for him doesn't really matter, it's just that he's the guy that will likely be moved.

Well... okay, you've half convinced me. But Weber was a vet with all important size. Ruh's a small guy who's never played 60 games in a season. So only half.

You mean according to Jason “Brassard is never happening” Mackey. But Olli is not a must move for me so long as he’s kept away from Oleksiak. He’s easily better than Johnson and Rig anyway.

I think pretty much every writer and most of the people who claim to know things here have said that Rutherford iss very attached to Maatta, tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad