Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
IF Bode Wilde is incapable of playing at the AHL or ECHL level, that means that the Islanders feel that 16-18 Dmen, are at this point, better than him.

No, not necessarily.

If you were a GM and you had a 19 year old high level prospect and a journeyman AHL dman. Both of them at each point in their careers play equally well, bottom pair AHL defense. Who would you rather have wasting away at that spot at this moment? He might be seen as just as good as a few of the guys up on Bridgeport now, but if the goal is long term development, the Islander MAY feel he will get more out of/or stagnate less while playing in the OHL. Getting sent back as a 19 year isn't an indictment on the quality of a prospect. Lots of 19 year old CHL d men could play bottom pair AHL minutes/are as good as vet AHLer's that play. That doesn't mean it's the best strategy to do that though. We'll see what they decide.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Depends where he was drafted him gives the NHL team options on where to send him if not an OA.
If drafted from the OHL then he needs to be sent back to the OHL if not an OA.
good point Ward, but in his case he was drafted before playing in the OHL, so he is an exception. They could send him to Europe if they wanted.

No, not necessarily.

If you were a GM and you had a 19 year old high level prospect and a journeyman AHL dman. Both of them at each point in their careers play equally well, bottom pair AHL defense. Who would you rather have wasting away at that spot at this moment? He might be seen as just as good as a few of the guys up on Bridgeport now, but if the goal is long term development, the Islander MAY feel he will get more out of/or stagnate less while playing in the OHL. Getting sent back as a 19 year isn't an indictment on the quality of a prospect. Lots of 19 year old CHL d men could play bottom pair AHL minutes/are as good as vet AHLer's that play. That doesn't mean it's the best strategy to do that though. We'll see what they decide.

I agree yet disagree with your points King. Having watched him last year I feel that if he comes back here he continues to promote his bad habits. Loose play in the defensive end and risky puck carrying because he can get away with it. . I have said many a time that if he continues to carry the puck that way, he's going to get hurt at a higher level. Sure he could change his style and work on his deficiency's, but I see him morphing back into his own playing style.

Heck, it would be great for the Spirit, but I feel it wouldn't do a thing for him. Again, just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
Nice 3-star selection tonight
785d8d570b591db100bce26695c1242e.jpg

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Outside of the fact that 3 stars are literally meaningless

1st Star: Had 3 assists including primary on the game winner. Most talented player on the ice for both clubs

2nd Star: Had the game winner plus assist

3rd star: Had the game tying goal late allowing the home team to win in OT.

McGregor could have gotten one of the bottom two for his 3 assists, but literally nothing definitive especially on the road in an OT lost. Of course the hometown kids are going to get the recognition in a meaningless exercise.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
A needed win tonight and maybe something happens tomorrow in the trade department?
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all posters and their families.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Outside of the fact that 3 stars are literally meaningless

1st Star: Had 3 assists including primary on the game winner. Most talented player on the ice for both clubs

2nd Star: Had the game winner plus assist

3rd star: Had the game tying goal late allowing the home team to win in OT.

McGregor could have gotten one of the bottom two for his 3 assists, but literally nothing definitive especially on the road in an OT lost. Of course the hometown kids are going to get the recognition in a meaningless exercise.

3rd star - shoots it 5 feet over the net and gets a lucky bounce off the glass, hits the back of the goalie and trickles in....pure skill :rolleyes:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The way Perfetti set guys up, Gioux and Katic’s goals/Coskey’s winner in Flint, is so hard to defend. It’s sort of like a quarterback running an RPO or read option play. He either draws the defenders in and gets the pass off to someone else they’ve left alone, or they stand off and he takes the shot.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
3rd star - shoots it 5 feet over the net and gets a lucky bounce off the glass, hits the back of the goalie and trickles in....pure skill :rolleyes:

3 Stars are like the points in Who's line is it anyway? They're all made up and they don't matter.

Like really. No scout is putting in his report: "skate well and has good vision but wasn't one of the 3 stars very often."

It doesn't matter. It's just fodder for the HOME fans. A victory cigar after a win or maybe a tip of the cap to the opponent if they lose.

Reactions: Finster8

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

I mean I agree with you? I never once said it had anything to do with skill. Just that his goal sent the game to OT where Saginaw won making it important to the home fans which really are the only people who ever even really give a crap about them in the first place. His "lucky" goal did more for a victory than anything McGregor did because well lets face it your team lost. But in reality these things are meaningless, getting so worked up about it is just a exercise in futility.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Merry Christmas everyone.....and if you are still wondering.....YES.....still think Bode Wilde is coming back after the break....LOL

Go Canada Go !!

Mr Puck

Feb 17, 2019
Wilde has already played eight games with Bridgeport, hasn't played the last two. I also think he maybe coming back, has struggled with Bridgeport.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Wilde has not played since the 18th, he is not developing down in the AHL. He is still only a young man who can help us make a legit run. Plenty of quality TOI and special teams in Saginaw. Hope he does return. JMO so no rants we have heard them.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Always a good game against SSM. 3-1 Spirit outshooting the Hounds 40-25. Cardwell Duhart Baber line had a strong finish and display our secondary scoring with the winning goal and clincher. Frappier stays solid and has to be getting confidence with his steady play. Go Spirit!!!

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I hear you but it make me really nervous the way Laz plays 96-91-49. They may have played half the game tonight. We need these guys badly if we are going to make a run for it. With 30 games or so to go you just can’t play them that heavy and expect them to be here for us to make a deep playoff run.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I hear you but it make me really nervous the way Laz plays 96-91-49. They may have played half the game tonight. We need these guys badly if we are going to make a run for it. With 30 games or so to go you just can’t play them that heavy and expect them to be here for us to make a deep playoff run.
With some infusion of offense via trades should strengthen the top 9. 2 very solid lines and the bottom 6 will be stronger as well. Agreed can't burn the boys out, CL will have to spread out his talent once we have our final roster.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Trade season open yet??

There's not a ton of names that are definitively on the block. The only one the comes to mind is Akil Thomas and you can't move him until are he's back from the WJC. Everyone else is a maybe they're available, maybe they aren't. Could be super quiet until a day or two before the deadline.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
When is Jenkins return expected? His addition plus a top 3 F, top 4 D, and some depth upfront like a Yetman can be a solid addition?
We have picks and tradable assets like Punnett, Bulovs, Cardwell who could land us some good assets for a run. We have a very solid nucleus and some needed additions will be up to Drinkill to get the ball rolling. He did well last season in his acquisitions and he will this year as well.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Kitchener targeted Perfetti last night from the opening puck drop. He never had a single shift where they didn't touch him up a little. That is something Drinkill should think about as he shops the market. Clearly need another big body that can play but also let other team know it is not cool to go after our number 1 player. Cosky tried to play that role but we need him on the ice too. Webb was hurt and KW took advantage of that all game.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Kitchener targeted Perfetti last night from the opening puck drop. He never had a single shift where they didn't touch him up a little. That is something Drinkill should think about as he shops the market. Clearly need another big body that can play but also let other team know it is not cool to go after our number 1 player. Cosky tried to play that role but we need him on the ice too. Webb was hurt and KW took advantage of that all game.

We have two big bodied forwards who appear useless in that role...now we add another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad