Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I guess DD decided no trades. Full camp roster has been released.

Go spirit!!

I'd imagine they'll make some before the start of the season. At the very least they are going to try and trade 2 OA's (likely Gilmour and Webb).

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I'd imagine they'll make some before the start of the season. At the very least they are going to try and trade 2 OA's (likely Gilmour and Webb).

I think thier hands are tied till NHL camps. What the islanders and coyotes decide to do with Coskey, Wilde, and Prosvetov will determine the roster going forward.

Also no Cole Hipkin? He would have been my pick for extra D.

Reactions: Finster8

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I think thier hands are tied till NHL camps. What the islanders and coyotes decide to do with Coskey, Wilde, and Prosvetov will determine the roster going forward.

Also no Cole Hipkin? He would have been my pick for extra D.

He was a top two round talent by all scouting reports so him lasting to round 6 and not being at camp seems like he'll be NCAA bound to me down the road.

Edit: Griffin Jurecki (Denver) and Eamon Powell (BC) aren't there either. Hipkin isn't committed right now but I bet he will be this time next year.

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
He was a top two round talent by all scouting reports so him lasting to round 6 and not being at camp seems like he'll be NCAA bound to me down the road.

Edit: Griffin Jurecki (Denver) and Eamon Powell (BC) aren't there either. Hipkin isn't committed right now but I bet he will be this time next year.

Maybe. He was at rookie camp though and got a ton of time in the scrimmages. Maybe something changed. Or maybe hes nursing an injury.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Actually doing some research, came across a video saying Hipkin is playing for a New England prep school this year in New Hampshire. So looks like NCAA for sure

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I think thier hands are tied till NHL camps. What the islanders and coyotes decide to do with Coskey, Wilde, and Prosvetov will determine the roster going forward

It kind of sucks a bit when the talent level of a team is high and to some degree the success for the season rides on someone else’s shoulders? BUT if you don’t have the NHL knocking on the door there is probably an expectation of a long season ahead.

Good Luck management earns their money in the first couple of months. Contacts with the big clubs is key to understanding what you might or might not get back?

Reactions: bcspragu

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Hipkin wants to be here but after they signed Belarus kid and Mitchell Smith there simply wasn’t room. I was hoping to see Hipkin and Mancini battle it out for that last spot

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hipkin wants to be here but after they signed Belarus kid and Mitchell Smith there simply wasn’t room. I was hoping to see Hipkin and Mancini battle it out for that last spot

Not too many RHD on the roster though. If Webb is not figuring into the roster, you only have one (Bode Wilde, who also may not come). Ian Lemieux is a LHD but he has known experience at RD (which is why I believe he is listed as a RD). The rest have been listed as LD on the training camp roster.

Having a RD like Hipkin would have been nice for balance purposes.

Reactions: Saggy

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Too solid a core to have a kid like that come in and disrupt. Better right handed dmen to be had if required.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Has anyone seen any of the practices or scrimmedges yet? Comments please

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Has anyone seen any of the practices or scrimmedges yet? Comments please
Any information on our rookies? Cardwell, Bloom, Codd, Punnett, Bulovs, Smith. How does Solovyov look, he could be a real solid D. Any info would be great.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Any information on our rookies? Cardwell, Bloom, Codd, Punnett, Bulovs, Smith. How does Solovyov look, he could be a real solid D. Any info would be great.

It was a really tough to get a look at a lopsided scrimmage imo. Impossible to really get a gauge on actual talent since no real d was being played. Will say though Solovyov was way better than I thought he would be since hes a relative unknown. His skating for his size was noticeably good. Smith can skate as well. Great edgework. The others were good for thier age. Nothing crazy standout good or bad.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
It was a really tough to get a look at a lopsided scrimmage imo. Impossible to really get a gauge on actual talent since no real d was being played. Will say though Solovyov was way better than I thought he would be since hes a relative unknown. His skating for his size was noticeably good. Smith can skate as well. Great edgework. The others were good for thier age. Nothing crazy standout good or bad.

Good to hear Solovyov and Smith looked good. That is going to help, I don't see Wilde playing in Saginaw but stranger things have happened. Thanks again for your input.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019

Cardwell - not really a rookie but has limited games. Very fast and great puck protection

Bloom, Bulovs, Codd - in that order as far as forwards go. Bloom had 3 points in each game and seemed to fit seamlessly however he did have advantage of playing with some vets. Bulovs has great size and shot but was very inconsistent shift to shift. Codd has great engine but was trying to do too much . Once he simplifies his game he will look good.

Soloyov, Punnett, Smith - in that order as far as defence goes. Soloyov needs to figure out ice size but looks to be the real deal with a little more offence than expected. Punnett get next spit by a nose over Smith as he had a few points each game and looked strong. Smith skating is the best of the 3 but smaller and not as physical as other two.

This is a deep team that should go a fairly long way. Still unsure about OAs but nhl may make the decisions for DD.

Excited about year ahead

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Impressed with how deep this Team looks but will be interesting to see what happens with OAs

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Impressed with how deep this Team looks but will be interesting to see what happens with OAs

If Coskey has a chance for descent TOI in the AHL then that's good for his development. If he gets 4th line min. than he is better off going the way of Robertson, Brazeau, Fellhaber, and play an OA and dominant on a strong team. He could be a 100 pt plus RW with Perfetti and Jenkins. Prosvetov would be a top 3 goalie and that is being modest. So trade him get some picks but wait because his value will spike up as contenders need that top goalie. Coskey is the key IMO.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Bulovs and Mancini sign......my guess is that means there is a trade about to happen

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Bulovs and Mancini sign......my guess is that means there is a trade about to happen

Maybe and maybe not.

We will need people in the preseason/early in the season when guys are away at NHL camps. After that I'd suspect they'll be sent back down unless they really wow. Good guys to have for 20-21 though when we'll lose quite a bit off the roster.

Reactions: bcspragu

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Maybe and maybe not.

We will need people in the preseason/early in the season when guys are away at NHL camps. After that I'd suspect they'll be sent back down unless they really wow. Good guys to have for 20-21 though when we'll lose quite a bit off the roster.

This. Wilde is already in New York. Giroux, Jenkins, Millman, Porco, Prosvetov, and maybe a few invites will be leaving shortly as well. With these two signed we we will be only at 10 FWDs and 7 Dmen and 2 goalies for the rest of the preseason. Then when we have to move 2 oas they will likely fill call up roles for the club unless they really impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad