Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'm a Bouchard supporter. Have been since before he was drafted by the Oilers.

Take it to the main board and make a poll.
This is utterly false so let's see these posts you claim a big Bouchard supporter because you have 100's the exact opposite, who gives a fck about Hedman hope he has fun golfing he is entering his twilight, Bouchard is just emerging and proving to be a playoff beast 125 point pace last 2 playoffs, you have clearly stated Oilers cannot or will never win with Bouchard on defense, real supporter my ass

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm a Bouchard supporter. Have been since before he was drafted by the Oilers.

Current day Hedman vs current day Bouchard.

Or you're just talking garbage.
Yeh I’m going to ask HF. Where half are Oilers haters and the other half hasn’t watched Bouchard play enough to have a valid opinion.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This is utterly false so let's see these posts you claim a big Bouchard supporter because you have 100's the exact opposite, who gives a fck about Hedman hope he has fun golfing he is entering his twilight, Bouchard is just emerging and proving to be a playoff beast 125 point pace last 2 playoffs, you have clearly stated Oilers can not or will never win with Bouchard on defense, real supporter my ass
I've never said Bouchard was a bad player. I've pointed out numerous bad plays.

He's an excellent offensive defenseman that fits in well with two superstars.

For the Oilers to win a cup Bouchard will have to be the player the cult believes him to be.

If he does that I have absolutely nothing to apologize for.

Yeh I’m going to ask HF. Where half are Oilers haters and the other half hasn’t watched Bouchard play enough to have a valid opinion.
You seem to love posting on the main boards, why hesitate now?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I've never said Bouchard was a bad player. I've pointed out numerous bad plays.

He's an excellent offensive defenseman that fits in well with two superstars.

For the Oilers to win a cup Bouchard will have to be the player the cult believes him to be.

If he does that I have absolutely nothing to apologize for.

You seem to love posting on the main boards, why hesitate now?
Just told you why. I’ve never seen you on the mains? Alt account?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Just told you why. I’ve never seen you on the mains? Alt account?
I only have one account. I resent the insinuation.

Pretty good chance posters have viewed Bouchard enough to gauge him against their viewings of Hedman.

Posters on these boards hating the Oilers, why do you think that would be? You'd know about that more than me. I seldom go to the main boards.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Pretty good chance posters have viewed Bouchard enough to gauge him against their viewings of Hedman.

Posters on these boards hating the Oilers, why do you think that would be? You'd know about that more than me. I seldom go to the main boards.
I know they don’t have a grasp of Bouchard’s actual game cause, yes I’m there.

Your take on Hyman made me insuate. It’s so removed from reality I couldn’t buy you as an Oilers fan. But hey everyone’s wrong now and then. I assume you’ve walked back that take now ?

Reactions: Aerchon

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I know they don’t have a grasp of Bouchard’s actual game cause, yes I’m there.

Your take on Hyman made me insuate. It’s so removed from reality I couldn’t buy you as an Oilers fan. But hey everyone’s wrong now and then. I assume you’ve walked back that take now ?
Maybe they know Bouchard better than you think. Maybe they know better than you. We will see.

I call them like I see them. Hyman is a 54 goal scorer, and is scoring at over a goal per game pace in the playoffs, playing with McDavid.

Now we'll see if the bad karma created by you takes its toll on the Oilers in round two. I certainly hope not.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

You have quite a few likes in 4 years yet I NEVER see anyone here liking your posts.
Seems more than a little odd.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Maybe they know Bouchard better than you think. Maybe they know better than you. We will see.

I call them like I see them. Hyman is a 54 goal scorer, and is scoring at over a goal per game pace in the playoffs, playing with McDavid.

Now we'll see if the bad karma created by you takes its toll on the Oilers in round two. I certainly hope not.
The vast majority of posters on the main board would have seen Bouchard play only a handful of times. Most only watch occasional games that do not involve their own team or a close division rival. Most think he is atrocious defensively and attribute his offensive success almost entirely to McDavid. My guess is that for at least half the people on the main boards there is nothing that Bouchard could do now or in the future to change that assessment.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's very cringe worthy stuff. So yes very Leafs like.

As I said. To each their own, but it is very strange how some on here seem to be in some state of denial on how good Bouchard currently is. Even more so when you consider his age.

I unfortunately have to repeat. No Bouchard is not as good as prime Hedman... duh. But in these playoffs, so far anyways Bouch is arguably and statistically better.

Every time I type that I imagine a scene out of Rain Man from protesting posters "Hedman is definitely better, definitely definitely better." over and over again. With maybe some tears along with the rocking back and forth.
Statistically who cares? Bouchard has tons of secondary assists.

Statistically Kucherov was better than Mcdavid, reality it's not even close

Bouchard just played his best two games. All of you people are saying that is pretty much what we get every night from him.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The vast majority of posters on the main board would have seen Bouchard play only a handful of times. Most only watch occasional games that do not involve their own team or a close division rival. Most think he is atrocious defensively and attribute his offensive success almost entirely to McDavid. My guess is that for at least half the people on the main boards there is nothing that Bouchard could do now or in the future to change that assessment.
You aren't wrong, but in regards to your statement you have to admit the majority of the posters here would have only watched Hedman "a handful of times" as well.

Bouchard is a good player, but to say he is better than Hedman is laughable. Other than your fellow Oilers fans be carful who you tell this to.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
LOL. A couple of the usual culprits now have said Bouchard "just played his 2 best games". This statement alone shows there is no logical discussion w/ them. The first game was masterclass. The second was pretty average w/ several mistakes. He's had waaaaay better in the past.

They are making this statement based on a win and nothing else. So it's comical to see them come on here and try to post anything objectively, honestly or analytically.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
LOL. A couple of the usual culprits now have said Bouchard "just played his 2 best games". This statement alone shows there is no logical discussion w/ them. The first game was masterclass. The second was pretty average w/ several mistakes. He's had waaaaay better in the past.

They are making this statement based on a win and nothing else. So it's comical to see them come on here and try to post anything objectively, honestly or analytically.
Bro I literally came on here during Game 4 after 2 periods when the Oilers were up 1-0 getting their ass smacked and said Bouchard has played a great game so far.

It has nothing to do with "winning" because we should have lost that game. It has to do with him not being a space head and turning pucks over.

You still haven't answered my previous question as to why you just challenge and argue everything.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Don't be so cynical. If Bouchard has the juice the Oilers should prevail from round to round, with Bouchard and Ekholm taking a major role in forthcoming playoff success, let it unfold.

Bouchard will make them all believers, but only by becoming the "difference making player" the club requires to permit the Oilers to keep advancing through the postseason. Keep a level head.

You have quite a few likes in 4 years yet I NEVER see anyone here liking your posts.
Seems more than a little odd.

I have to agree with you, I have a disturbing amount of likes.

I can never seem to give likes. I'd rather give them than receive them. They don't matter to me all that much. However, it's nice to get one once in awhile.

I know how to get likes, but in doing so I would be unfaithful to my convictions if I played that game.

If I had the power I'd abolish the system altogether. It leads to axioms of unbalanced rationality.

Do you see some of the like to post ratios on this board?

Popularity through positive affirmation. Maybe there is something mischievous.

After awhile I got a good sense of the landscape. It's a razor's edge.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Don't be so cynical. If Bouchard has the juice the Oilers should prevail from round to round, with Bouchard and Ekholm taking a major role in forthcoming playoff success, let it unfold.

Bouchard will make them all believers, but only by becoming the "difference making player" the club requires to permit the Oilers to keep advancing through the postseason. Keep a level head.

I can never seem to give likes. I'd rather give them than receive them. They don't matter to me all that much. However, it's nice to get one once in awhile.

I know how to get likes, but in doing so I would be unfaithful to my convictions if I played that game.

If I had the power I'd abolish the system altogether. It leads to axioms of unbalanced rationality.

There is no cynicism involved in what I wrote. It's been like that for all 20 or so years I have been here.. Actual performance won't change anyone's opinion if they don't actually invest some time to at least educate themselves a tiny bit. We still hear that Draisaitl is a product of McDavid and that McDavid is a playoff failure.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You still haven't answered my previous question as to why you just challenge and argue everything.
You've accused others of this also. Maybe take some some time for reflection on this one...you'll get there hopefully

Also, read the posts. Nobody is talking about game 4. You said 2 games in a row were his best hockey. Game 5 was hardly a perfect game. He got caught on several pinches, had a few reverses to nobody and made some bad passes. Only by b/c LA bobbled the puck and some puck luck did his less than stellar plays not end up as a GA.

Stop making false statements and you won't get replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: VainGretzky

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You aren't wrong, but in regards to your statement you have to admit the majority of the posters here would have only watched Hedman "a handful of times" as well.

Bouchard is a good player, but to say he is better than Hedman is laughable. Other than your fellow Oilers fans be carful who you tell this to.
My guess is that the average Edmonton fan sees more of other teams than does the typical fan on these boards. Part of that is simply a matter of time zones. Being in the Mtn time zone is probably the sweet spot for NHL broadcasts. But on the whole Edmonton itself has always been a significant hockey town in terms of broad interest.

Bouchard has a long way to go before one can say he is better than Hedman simply because Hedman's play over so many years has been at such a high level and he is still a very good player. That said, I think anyone who watches Tampa can see that his game is not consistently where it was at his absolute best. In terms of what both contributed to their teams this year I don't think it would be unreasonable for anyone to say that Bouchard has had a comparable impact this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If Bouchard was a Leaf or Canuck player he'd be touted for the Norris trophy.

"Oh but he doesn't defend well enough" (yes he does)

Has anybody watched the pint sized Hughes defend?

Booch is big, strong, decent wingspan and coverage and excellent skater. One of the best PP D I've ever seen. I've seen Paul Coffey. Coffey would say himself Booch is the real deal.

So whats the argument about here today folks?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Bouchard was a Leaf or Canuck player he'd be touted for the Norris trophy.

"Oh but he doesn't defend well enough" (yes he does)

Has anybody watched the pint sized Hughes defend?

Booch is big, strong, decent wingspan and coverage and excellent skater. One of the best PP D I've ever seen. I've seen Paul Coffey. Coffey would say himself Booch is the real deal.

So whats the argument about here today folks?
It's so unfair. Bouchard against the world.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

This has to be a bit.

Your take on Bouch will age like your take on Hyman.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ridiculous. Hedman has a Conn Smythe and a Norris trophy. He should have multiple Norris trophies if the award went to overall best defenseman.

You guys are just bad karma all around.
As many have noted. When it comes to Bouchard at least you are not an unbiased fan for whatever reason. It's obvious.

For myself and at least few others the Bouchard praise is relatively tame and based on actual performance and success.

It seems you are a TB fan/Huge Hedman fanboy... if there is bad Karma I think it would be towards TB/Hedman. Badly so. You have straight up said some rather ridiculous things that suggest Hedman is the only reason TB has any success and that it's all him all the time. Lol, if you believe in Karma this will not go over well well.

Wait... Aren't you a huge Broberg fan? Been talking him up for years? How has that Karma treated you to date. I am only paraphrasing so dont get upset that I go hunt down related posts but... Didn't you think Broberg is/will be better than Bouchard?

I still hope Broberg beats the odds and becomes a great NHLer but I think it's safe to say today that of the two one has met expectations and more and the other has not even come close.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This has to be a bit.

Your take on Bouch will age like your take on Hyman.

It's time for Bouchard to bring it.

Maybe he can.

Maybe he can't.

As many have noted. When it comes to Bouchard at least you are not an unbiased fan for whatever reason. It's obvious.

For myself and at least few others the Bouchard praise is relatively tame and based on actual performance and success.

It seems you are a TB fan/Huge Hedman fanboy... if there is bad Karma I think it would be towards TB/Hedman. Badly so. You have straight up said some rather ridiculous things that suggest Hedman is the only reason TB has any success and that it's all him all the time. Lol, if you believe in Karma this will not go over well well.

Wait... Aren't you a huge Broberg fan? Been talking him up for years? How has that Karma treated you to date. I am only paraphrasing so dont get upset that I go hunt down related posts but... Didn't you think Broberg is/will be better than Bouchard?

I still hope Broberg beats the odds and becomes a great NHLer but I think it's safe to say today that of the two one has met expectations and more and the other has not even come close.

Can Bouchard rise to the occasion? We will find out soon enough.

Broberg hasn't proven shit. Maybe you jinxed him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I agree w/ @Broberg Speed that Hedman is better atm. The guy will be a first ballot HOF. I have him in the top 5 alltime. Bouchard is just getting started

However, Mattais Ekholm in the last 2 months imo is the best dman in the NHL. Now that's also debatable, so splitting hairs and saying he's top 3-5 is fair also. In the last 2 months he's been Norris level. Not only has he been playing the best hockey of his own career, he's played as good of hockey as many career, including some of Hedmans best stretches, on both sides of the puck. The stats and eye test back that up. They also put that pair in the upper echelon of any pair....ever.

The poster you're replying to not only thinks Ekholm is regressing, he claims it's b/c of Bouchard. He is on record as saying Ekholm is currently playing like a liability

He just claimed in a post about he posts w/ "conviction". It's pretty evident the only thing he is convicted about is being controversial. Nothing based on facts or logic. Hence, Hyman is a goal suck

This dudes the ultimate...

• Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree w/ @Broberg Speed that Hedman is better atm. The guy will be a first ballot HOF. I have him in the top 5 alltime. Bouchard is just getting started

However, Mattais Ekholm in the last 2 months imo is the best dman in the NHL. Now that's also debatable, so splitting hairs and saying he's top 3-5 is fair also. In the last 2 months he's been Norris level. Not only has he been playing the best hockey of his own career, he's played as good of hockey as many career, including some of Hedmans best stretches, on both sides of the puck. The stats and eye test back that up. They also put that pair in the upper echelon of any pair....ever.

The poster you're replying to not only thinks Ekholm is regressing, he claims it's b/c of Bouchard. He is on record as saying Ekholm is currently playing like a liability

He just claimed in a post about he posts w/ "conviction". It's pretty evident the only thing he is convicted about is being controversial. Nothing based on facts or logic. Hence, Hyman is a goal suck

This dudes the ultimate...
I don't know about some of this bobby. Ekholm is currently my third favorite Oiler. After McDavid and Draisaitl.

However, you'd know better what I said than I would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad