Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I would love to staple this assessment above a couple of lockers in the Spirit dressing room of a former big player who played big, and would have never allowed that crap to happen. Maybe Goldie and Katic should read it.

"Max Jones is a diligent and hard-working power forward capable of being an impact player every shift. He's strong on the puck and routinely looks to create separation. He knows his game inside out and has a wide array of tools at his disposal. Strength and speed allow him to bull his way to the front of the net where he is relentless and creates havoc. Makes smart decisions with the puck and doesn't give the opposition time and space. Possesses high-end finishing ability and "wills" the puck to the back of the net. All-in-all, a determined forward who puts tremendous pressure on his opponents when he's on the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) "

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
It is the most disturbing aspect of the Spirit, our big guys don't play big. That kid should have been on his keester the rest of the game. Sadly, that aspect of clean retaliation hasn't been drilled into the modern player.
I agree it’s very sad , same thing happened when Coskey was cheap shot too head and broke his jaw , no one did anything , and the captain was on the ice as well , the problem right now with hockey is they are stirring away from fighting and trying to make it a skill game , and honestly coaching back in the day would of also sent a message

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I agree it’s very sad , same thing happened when Coskey was cheap shot too head and broke his jaw , no one did anything , and the captain was on the ice as well , the problem right now with hockey is they are stirring away from fighting and trying to make it a skill game , and honestly coaching back in the day would of also sent a message

Which is crazy because last year Murray wod have been the first person in to defend a teammate. Hes definitely the last if a dying breed though, tough as nails with enough ability on the ice to matter.

Like I said I was just frustrated with the lack of response. I understand both sides to an extent. Being down numbers as a coach last thing you need is another forward or dman out 17 minutes. Take a number and next time you play make sure #9 has his chin strap on.

All in all regardless of extent of the injury hopefully Jenkins is able to get healed up as soon as possible. I think that's something I missed earlier in my frustration. Hes a good kid

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Zhilkin is what? A 5-10 16yo? Did it look intentional? I mean if it didn’t look intentional, you’re not gonna over and tune the kid up unless you’re a total hack dbag. I agree with you guys completely about defending your teammates and not being able to do that anymore but if Cole Perfetti accidentally catches say Vlad Kolyachonok with a knee and Connor Roberts comes over and cleans him out.....that’s a bit punk y’know. Make sure you let him know what’s up....with words or a little shot maybe though. It’s a new game though, and it sucks relying on refs for protection.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Zhilkin is what? A 5-10 16yo? Did it look intentional? I mean if it didn’t look intentional, you’re not gonna over and tune the kid up unless you’re a total hack dbag. I agree with you guys completely about defending your teammates and not being able to do that anymore but if Cole Perfetti accidentally catches say Vlad Kolyachonok with a knee and Connor Roberts comes over and cleans him out.....that’s a bit punk y’know. Make sure you let him know what’s up....with words or a little shot maybe though. It’s a new game though, and it sucks relying on refs for protection.

I mean there are ethical "weight classes" for sure (personally toughness over size makes a bigger difference imo). Age I dont buy unless it's an OA vs a rookie, but then again its normally a size or toughness thing. They are all in the same league after all.

As for the hit, it looked unnecessarily, was low, and was a penalty. Not an accident.

Zhilkin is listed on Eliteprospects at 6-1 185. Katic who I think has 0 career fights may be a size mismatch and Webb on toughness. Everyone else fair game imo Saginaw has very few tough guys.

In your example, Robert's has 6 inches and 30 pounds on Cole. Of course that's an issue. Someone like Durham not so much. Now going after a super star is a whole different can of worms lol. That line brawl might rival some of Gears-Generals throwdowns.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I mean there are ethical "weight classes" for sure (personally toughness over size makes a bigger difference imo). Age I dont buy unless it's an OA vs a rookie, but then again its normally a size or toughness thing. They are all in the same league after all.

As for the hit, it looked unnecessarily, was low, and was a penalty. Not an accident.

Zhilkin is listed on Eliteprospects at 6-1 185. Katic who I think has 0 career fights may be a size mismatch and Webb on toughness. Everyone else fair game imo Saginaw has very few tough guys.

In your example, Robert's has 6 inches and 30 pounds on Cole. Of course that's an issue. Someone like Durham not so much. Now going after a super star is a whole different can of worms lol. That line brawl might rival some of Gears-Generals throwdowns.
Right on, I agree with all of that.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Big character game for the Spirit with Solovyov, Jenkins, Cardwell out, guys like Duhart 13-G 10-Pt, Antropov 4-G 3-pts will have to keep playing hard. We will need some team D to beat Windsor and keep up the scoring.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Everyone keeps says that no one went to Blade’s defense but from where I sat I saw at least three Spirit players tried to get to the Guelph player but the officials were quick to get in the way to stop anything before it happened.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Fresh off the press....Akil Thomas traded. It will be announced tonight so still trying to find out where he is going.

I heard the asking price was quite high so don’t think it is Saginaw. My gut tells me we could see him in Flint or London.

If that is the case expect DD to be calling Hamilton and Kitchener by the end of the night.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Shocked if this is true. Did not expect him to go for less than a 2019 first rounder ++.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
May not get announced tonight as the rumour has it an 03 first rounder may be involved and they can’t be traded until January.

Ive been wrong before so just sharing what I heard.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Shocked if this is true. Did not expect him to go for less than a 2019 first rounder ++.

London has Roloffs (not really playing), Saginaw has Punnett (playing some) and Flint has Othmann (playing a lot) so all are First Rounders that might be up for grabs. Don't forget that Flint also has Vierling who was the #2 Overall last year and could easily be packaged in as I heard he was looking for a trade. London also has their 2nd rounder from last year Panwar that could be packaged as he isn't playing much either.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Dear Santa (Drinkall),

If you are reading this I would really like to see you bring Akil Thomas (NIA), Serron Noel (OSH) and Tyler Tucker (BAR) to Saginaw. I know it is my wish list but I've been good all year and would appreciate you bringing at least 2 of the above for Xmas.

All the best
Saggy

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Your post said it was going to be announced. That never happens if a 16 year old is involved, hence my skepticism.

Since no announcement was forthcoming, my faith in humanity has been restored.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Your post said it was going to be announced. That never happens if a 16 year old is involved, hence my skepticism.

Since no announcement was forthcoming, my faith in humanity has been restored.

I'm glad it wasn't announced as I think London has much more to play with in a trade then we do so it the trigger was pulled we might see him in Green in the new year. Time will tell.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
By the way, while I don't think we have the Team to go for it.....sounds like Management does. Compound that with the age of our Team and the fact that we will be rebuilding for the next few years anyway they may as well go for it now.

OA gone - Webb, Busdecker, Cosky

2000s that we can only keep 3 of next year - Frappier, Solovyov, King, Giroux, Jenkins, Antropov, Goldowski, Katic

That is 11 current players.....8 of which will be gone due to age

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Ok I'd be happy to see DD target Jenik and Noel. Thomas comes with a huge price tag and Jenik is gone next year and could be around the same price as Saigeon 2-2nds + 1-3rd. Noel for Cardwell + 2-2nds 1-4th. Leaving 2-2nds + 2-3rds+2-4ths+ 5-5ths enough for a solid D. An upgrade in OA D would work as well.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Fresh off the press....Akil Thomas traded. It will be announced tonight so still trying to find out where he is going.

I heard the asking price was quite high so don’t think it is Saginaw. My gut tells me we could see him in Flint or London.

If that is the case expect DD to be calling Hamilton and Kitchener by the end of the night.
I heard it might be Peterborough.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Peterborough will not give up McTavish but Avon isn't doing much and is a First Rounder so it would make sense with him and a handful of picks

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Peterborough will not give up McTavish but Avon isn't doing much and is a First Rounder so it would make sense with him and a handful of picks

He can't be traded until January. So your "Akil Thomas was traded tonight" (2 nights ago now) is confirmed as 100% false

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
It is probably a 1st rounder plus picks or it would have been done before camp etc. Time will tell, where?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
He can't be traded until January. So your "Akil Thomas was traded tonight" (2 nights ago now) is confirmed as 100% false

Thanks for restating the obvious......source was quick on the gun but still says that it has already happened and there is an agreement in principle. My guess is he has already played his last game in Niagara and isn't coming back after World Juniors.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Will be interesting to see what the lines look like tonight. Missing a lot of key players will not make it an easy road trip to Windsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->