Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
The more i see from Poehling the more i think that most of us underestimated his offensive skills, he's not gonna end up a 3C, there's no way this guy is not producing more then guys like Danault and Eller!!!
Eller had 29P in 48 games in the SHL at 19, and 57P in 70 games in the AHL at 20. Poehling had 31P in 36 games back to back at 19 and 20. I really am not sure where the high-end 2C projections are coming from, he had two good but not great NCAA seasons and dominated a tournament of teenagers as a 6'3" 210lb grown man.

If anything I think Eller is a pretty good comparable/projection for Poehling. I get that for a lot of Habs fans that's probably an insult but to me that's a great compliment. Eller is a consistent 15G 30-35P two way 3C with size that can play up the lineup if necessary (eg. 5P in 4 games as the 2C when Backstrom got hurt in the playoffs). That's excellent value with a 25th overall pick and I'd be thrilled if he turned out to be that good.

The reason I say it is Habs fans turned on Eller when he didn't reach the elite 2C hype we had for him instead of just appreciating what he actually was. I just expect Poehling will end up closer to Danault or Eller than Ryan O'Reilly. If I'm wrong and he's even better that's amazing, but I don't think it's realistic or fair to expect him to be a high end 2C and then consider it a disappointment if he doesn't get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canad13ns

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Eller had 29P in 48 games in the SHL at 19, and 57P in 70 games in the AHL at 20. Poehling had 31P in 36 games back to back at 19 and 20. I really am not sure where the high-end 2C projections are coming from, he had two good but not great NCAA seasons and dominated a tournament of teenagers as a 6'3" 210lb grown man.

If anything I think Eller is a pretty good comparable/projection for Poehling. I get that for a lot of Habs fans that's probably an insult but to me that's a great compliment. Eller is a consistent 15G 30-35P two way 3C with size that can play up the lineup if necessary (eg. 5P in 4 games as the 2C when Backstrom got hurt in the playoffs). That's excellent value with a 25th overall pick and I'd be thrilled if he turned out to be that good.

The reason I say it is Habs fans turned on Eller when he didn't reach the elite 2C hype we had for him instead of just appreciating what he actually was. I expect the same thing will happen with Poehling when he ends up closer to Eller or Danault than Ryan O'Reilly and it's silly because an Eller/Danault are still great things to have and great value with the 25th overall pick.
If Poehling turns out to be Eller, I'll be disappointed. I think he's much more skilled and smarter than Larry on the ice.

Reactions: Simarino and 26Mats

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
If Poehling turns out to be Eller, I'll be disappointed. I think he's much more skilled and smarter than Larry on the ice.
You'd be disappointed if we got a great two-way 3C that's capable of filling in as a 2C on a cup winning team with the 25th overall pick?

Reactions: Canad13ns

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Imo, Larry isn't a great #3C, but to each their own.
Who is then? He put up 36 and 38 points as a 3C which is good for 73rd among centers in points over the last two years, while being used in a matchup role. He has 44P in 81 career playoff games, and was great as a short term 2C on a team that won the cup.

If Ryan Poehling is the 73rd highest scoring center in the league while playing 3C on a matchup line and ends up a 0.5PPG center in the playoffs I would be thrilled with that outcome and anything better is gravy.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The comparative with Eller as young players is fine, but in my opinion, I think Eller was a disappointment in the end. I think he could have been more but he lacked something somewhere. So if that "something" is not lacking in Peohling, we could see better results with him.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
The point I'm trying to make is that Eller turned out to be a good player, and good enough to play a big role on a cup winning team but was undervalued by Habs fans because he didn't reach the sky-high expectations we had for him. I guess there's no harm in dreaming big and I'd love to be wrong, I just don't see the crazy high-end potential here. I don't really think that's a problem either because if he "just" becomes an Eller/Danault level player I'd still be really happy to have that.

I just don't really want to attach this super high potential to a guy that scored 8 goals in college and then call him a disappointment when he doesn't become Ryan O'Reilly.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The point I'm trying to make is that Eller turned out to be a good player, and good enough to play a big role on a cup winning team but was undervalued by Habs fans because he didn't reach the sky-high expectations we had for him. I guess there's no harm in dreaming big and I'd love to be wrong, I just don't see the crazy high-end potential here. I don't really think that's a problem either because if he "just" becomes an Eller/Danault level player I'd still be really happy to have that.

I just don't really want to attach this super high potential to a guy that scored 8 goals in college and then call him a disappointment when he doesn't become Ryan O'Reilly.

He’s not ROR but I do think is celling is better then Eller.. better IQ

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Eller and Danault are not on the same level. If he becomes like Danault then I'd be thrilled

Reactions: Sugar Domi

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He’s not ROR but I do think is celling is better then Eller.. better IQ

at 20 year old he's a much better player than Eller ever was. Eller had good skating, size but holy tunel vision. Poehling uses he's size much more effectively, better hands and his best attributes in my opinion is his cross-ice pass, wich will be deadly once he plays with better players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Gustav Olofsson too, hopefully he can make it through that league without getting hurt.

didn't notice him as there aren't many non Minnesota born players expect usually ones that live there due to the Wild or playing on NCAA teams. His younger brother is there, going to play with Norlinder next year after being in the NCAA so the Hawks will give up his rights.

at 20 year old he's a much better player than Eller ever was. Eller had good skating, size but holy tunel vision. Poehling uses he's size much more effectively, better hands and his best attributes in my opinion is his cross-ice pass, wich will be deadly once he plays with better players.

Eller led his AHL team in scoring and it was his first year in North America on the smaller ice. Poehling was tied for 73 in the NCAA in scoring. I think it's closer between them.

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
didn't notice him as there aren't many non Minnesota born players expect usually ones that live there due to the Wild or playing on NCAA teams. His younger brother is there, going to play with Norlinder next year after being in the NCAA so the Hawks will give up his rights.

Eller led his AHL team in scoring and it was his first year in North America on the smaller ice. Poehling was tied for 73 in the NCAA in scoring. I think it's closer between them.

You're comparing Eller's D+3 to Poehling's D+2.

At no point in Eller's career has he shown playmaking ability anywhere near Poehling's level. Nor the positioning and hand-eye coordination around the net.

I'll give Eller both shot power and release, but it's not like he's ever consistently put himself in good situations to use it or get it through to the net. And these are things that can be improved upon naturally as every 20 year old gets stronger, whereas the deficiencies in Eller's offensive game are more difficult to iron out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You're comparing Eller's D+3 to Poehling's D+2.

At no point in Eller's career has he shown playmaking ability anywhere near Poehling's level. Nor the positioning and hand-eye coordination around the net.

I'll give Eller both shot power and release, but it's not like he's ever consistently put himself in good situations to use it or get it through to the net. And these are things that can be improved upon naturally as every 20 year old gets stronger, whereas the deficiencies in Eller's offensive game are more difficult to iron out.

I was never a big Eller fan and felt he was brought to the NHL too soon but he did have a very good rookie year in the AHL.

I think Poehling can be better but I don't think he's a much better player then Eller. Guess it depends on your definition of much better, I like Poehling a lot but fear he's being very overrated and if he doesn't live up to some insanely high standards it's going to be non stop bashing in the Timmins thread. I would expect Poehling to have a better NHL career then Eller but not that much better as I'd would be very surprised if he's a 60 pt 1st line center on a contending team and I'm not sold that he can be a 2nd line center on a playoff team as I just haven't seen the offensive upside.

That said he's certainly going to be an NHLer and likely a very solid one but we'll see how his game translates to the pros as NCAA production can be difficult to predict how it will translate.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

both Eller and AG were advertised as playmakers and both were pretty poor in that department or average at best. I was an Eller fan but yeah he fell short of what he was supposed to be or could've been. The shortened season could've been a break out season. I like to blame Gryba personally.

I feel the Poehling praise is premature but from what I can see the kid's gonna be very good. I re-watched highlights from his debut and besides the hat trick he was so impressive in many aspects of the game. I didn't watch so I only saw the goals a few times. Loved the way he played in that game. His skill seems to be more apparent with each day. I think some think he might be a star/superstar and I don't think he will be. Maybe a lower tier one but I think he's gonna be so effective for us regardless. Really can't wait to see him play pro whether it's Laval or Habs.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I was never a big Eller fan and felt he was brought to the NHL too soon but he did have a very good rookie year in the AHL.

I think Poehling can be better but I don't think he's a much better player then Eller. Guess it depends on your definition of much better, I like Poehling a lot but fear he's being very overrated and if he doesn't live up to some insanely high standards it's going to be non stop bashing in the Timmins thread. I would expect Poehling to have a better NHL career then Eller but not that much better as I'd would be very surprised if he's a 60 pt 1st line center on a contending team and I'm not sold that he can be a 2nd line center on a playoff team as I just haven't seen the offensive upside.

That said he's certainly going to be an NHLer and likely a very solid one but we'll see how his game translates to the pros as NCAA production can be difficult to predict how it will translate.

I can't shake the idea of converting him into a winger. If that's the case then I feel quite confident he can be a top 6er.

I really don't think that Poehling's underwhelming production in his sophomore season is the Poehling to go by. I think he's much better than that personally.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't shake the idea of converting him into a winger. If that's the case then I feel quite confident he can be a top 6er.

I really don't think that Poehling's underwhelming production in his sophomore season is the Poehling to go by. I think he's much better than that personally.

You mean his Junior season, his Sophmore season at 18 was pretty solid with 14 goals and the same points as his junior year.

We'll see how good he is this year, I just think too many look at the one WJC game vs Sweden and his one NHL game that the leafs had nothing to gain by playing hard in and think he's this great prospect and if he's not it's going to be Timmins fault, not their unrealistic expectations.

It's not a good sign when you see a top prospect score almost 50% less goals and in 36 games he had 0 goals in 31 of those games. In the first 22 games of the season he had goals in just 2 games. For a 1st round pick that is shocking bad. It would be one thing if he was on a terrible team but the best team in the NCAA and the 2nd highest scoring? It's not like he played with his brothers every game either and he was on the top PP as well yet the points just weren't there.

But I can only go off what I see, and I've been fooled by both low and high production in the NCAA before. I would have bet a lot on Kristo being a decent 2nd liner as he was 2nd in the NCAA in scoring (granted he was older since he played a year in the USHL before going to North Dakota) I wouldn't have expected Tkachuk to produce like he did as I didn't think he stood out in the few BU games I saw (though it was against Primeau and he can make players look bad) and he and Poehling had the same points at 18 but Poehling's numbers were better with almost twice the goals and in less games.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelWarlord

Le compétiteur

Wait, whens the last time this team gave a spot to one of his high profile young player? I must have missed it.

Or are you referring to the terrible move that it was to go into a season with a rookie PK Subban as your first RD?

I'm old enough to remeber Habs trading Turgeon to open a spot for Koivu.

If you ask me, that trade follow by the Roy trade is the exact point where Habs donwfall started.

Reactions: montreal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm old enough to remeber Habs trading Turgeon to open a spot for Koivu.

If you ask me, that trade follow by the Roy trade is the exact point where Habs donwfall started.
But this team only had two good centers, so how is it opening a spot for Koivu? And how does it make sense to compare Turgeon, who was a 1C and the best center this team has had since, to be honest I don't even want to think about? This isn't the same thing, at all. The team is riddled with middle six forward, not stars like Turgeon.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling is one of the main reasons I am looking forward Ron next season. He will make the team

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
But this team only had two good centers, so how is it opening a spot for Koivu? And how does it make sense to compare Turgeon, who was a 1C and the best center this team has had since, to be honest I don't even want to think about? This isn't the same thing, at all. The team is riddled with middle six forward, not stars like Turgeon.

Turgeon, Damphousse, Koivu.

Not that I'm a fan of the Turgeon trade.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Turgeon, Damphousse, Koivu.

Not that I'm a fan of the Turgeon trade.
When they traded Turgeon, I mean. I mean if the Habs had Tavares Matthews I wouldnt want them to move any of them to make space for Domi/Kotka/Poehling but right now they dont. They have Danault in that spot.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Imo, Larry isn't a great #3C, but to each their own.

The guy paced for 60 points during WAS' cup run and kept the second line afloat while Backstrom was injured. Who exactly would be a great #3 by these standards ?

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Eller is a good hockey player. Trading him was a dumb move by MB. Like Subban, he always had a second gear in the playoffs. Also, we kinda needed a center circa 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad