Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Wait what? The guy scored 3 goals in his one NHL game, anything under 150 goals will be a disapointment.

It could be luck. He has skills but he wont scoreb3 every game. In fact I doubt he scores 20 in his first full season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Poehling start the season in Montreal, do you see him play winger ?

I'd like to at least see him get a shot with Domi

Poehling-Domi-Drouin
Poheling-Domi- Lehkonen
Poehling-Domi-Byron
Poehling-Domi- Suzuki
Poehling-Domi- Weal

or Poehling playing center and Domi moving to the wing for any of these.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Poehling currently has a combo of size/strength, skating, skill, and a willingness to go to the net that no one else in this organization has. Because of this, I could see him get a look as a top 6 winger.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Yup , I don't see them sending Domi back to wing until Kotkaniemi/Poehling can hold their own at C (in their respective roles).

I don't see how this isn't our top 9 (only wiggle room on LW spot on 3rd line):

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Poehling
Armia/Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lekhonen ( I honestly prefer the Fin trio as they had amazing possession numbers when playing together , just no umm...Finnish :sarcasm: ).

It would be a big waste to put Poehling on the 4th line , if that's the plan we have enough players for that role , he should spend time in Laval. Drouin and Domi showed what a finisher who plays with an edge can really compliment this duo. Poehling fits perfectly , he doesn't have an elite shot but he can score goals , he has put on some weight and will have to learn to play aggressively but he could definitely be an asset on that line , it makes a lot of sense to me. In terms of Armia vs Byron , I really like Byron but he's too small on a team that's already tiny , the top 9 start looking a lot more interesting with Armia and Poehling vs Shaw/Byron.

finns-2.png

shot-attempts-finns.png

Source: Analyze This: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, fellow Finns a top trio for Canadiens

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
As much as I'd like to see him crack the line-up, I think he's headed to Laval.
Pre-season will sort it out. ( Unless there's a big trade. :laugh:)

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yup , I don't see them sending Domi back to wing until Kotkaniemi/Poehling can hold their own at C (in their respective roles).

Drouin - Domi - Poehling
Armia/Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lekhonen ( I honestly prefer the Fin trio as they had amazing possession numbers when playing together , just no umm...Finnish :sarcasm: ).

It would be a big waste to put Poehling on the 4th line , if that's the plan we have enough players for that role , he should spend time in Laval. Drouin and Domi showed what a finisher who plays with an edge can really compliment this duo. Poehling fits perfectly , he doesn't have an elite shot but he can score goals , he has put on some weight and will have to learn to play aggressively but he could definitely be an asset on that line , it makes a lot of sense to me. In terms of Armia vs Byron , I really like Byron but he's too small on a team that's already tiny , the top 9 start looking a lot more interesting with Armia and Poehling vs Shaw/Byron.

finns-2.png

shot-attempts-finns.png

If Poehling is playing winger, there is no doubt that he will play LW and not RW.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah but there is some players who dont kill it in college yet achieve great carreers if there is a player who could be like that and has showned its not only about points for him.. well its Poehling..

the guy is a true pro, and true good man he insisted on playing with his brothers despite not helping his cause.. if there is one player in the organisation right now that was working towards becoming a pro well its him. so im not worried he seems to be building a game thats going to be very rewarding at the big league. in his case playing with Elite players will make his crafted tools shine more than ever. but I gues will see. a 50 to 60 pts do-it-all center would be amazing.

he reminds me a bit of Mcdonagh towards his attitude and work ethic. not worried one bit.

if you read back through this thread I talk about how hard it is to project NCAA production to NHL production. I watch a lot of NCAA hockey for many years so I know how some guys will just surprise you and others you think for sure will do well just don't do anything. The point with Poehling is not just the points, the lack of goals but going from his age 18 season to his age 19 season and having his goals drop almost 50%. So he showed he can put the puck in the net and this year he struggled badly to score goals especially in the 1st half.

I've also said for some time now that he is one of our best prospects, that he was a lock to be an NHLer and that fans are going to love watching him play as will the coaches love having him. He plays an NHL game and is very likely going to be a very solid NHLer, I'm just not sure how good he will be. Some think he will be a 1st line center and I don't see that so far.

I hope not, he's a natural center and I'd like us to develop him as a center. Having such size with skill down the middle in the future with Kotka and Poehling is going to bode well for us, don't want to mess with that.

Reactions: Vachon23

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Drouin - Domi - Poehling

finns-2.png

shot-attempts-finns.png

If Suzuki can out perform anyone else on KK's wing and legitimately earn a spot/supplant one of the no finnish wingers, I'd be ecstatic.

Same for Poehling on the 2nd line.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
if you read back through this thread I talk about how hard it is to project NCAA production to NHL production. I watch a lot of NCAA hockey for many years so I know how some guys will just surprise you and others you think for sure will do well just don't do anything. The point with Poehling is not just the points, the lack of goals but going from his age 18 season to his age 19 season and having his goals drop almost 50%. So he showed he can put the puck in the net and this year he struggled badly to score goals especially in the 1st half.

I've also said for some time now that he is one of our best prospects, that he was a lock to be an NHLer and that fans are going to love watching him play as will the coaches love having him. He plays an NHL game and is very likely going to be a very solid NHLer, I'm just not sure how good he will be. Some think he will be a 1st line center and I don't see that so far.

I hope not, he's a natural center and I'd like us to develop him as a center. Having such size with skill down the middle in the future with Kotka and Poehling is going to bode well for us, don't want to mess with that.
I think part of what plays into NCAA production being so hard to project is mostly usage of player. In most leagues theres a certain norm for utilization by age, but this all goes through the window in the NCAA. You basically have D year prospects that dont play much but after that its anybodys guess.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I could really see Poehling centering the 3rd line. It could be one heck of a grind it out, possession type of group that could surprise teams by putting up some points.

Lehkonen - Poehling - Armia

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I could really see Poehling centering the 3rd line. It could be one heck of a grind it out, possession type of group that could surprise teams by putting up some points.

Lehkonen - Poehling - Armia
For that to happen you better be moving Danault because the other two Cs should be locks.

Reactions: LaP

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
For that to happen you better be moving Danault because the other two Cs should be locks.
I think they may try some different things in camp, like Max to the left of Kotkaniemi, but who knows. Just thinking out loud.

Danault won't be going anywhere.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think part of what plays into NCAA production being so hard to project is mostly usage of player. In most leagues theres a certain norm for utilization by age, but this all goes through the window in the NCAA. You basically have D year prospects that dont play much but after that its anybodys guess.

well part of it is the fact that the league is all over the place in terms of talent. Really it should be split into 2 leagues imo, as a 60 team league is way too much and there's talk of a few more schools going D1. The Atlantic is just so weak compared to the rest and the WCHA isn't much better although that conference is about to die as the top teams are pulling out and the two Alaskan teams are in dire straits as they funding was cut in half.

But it's crazy when you have some 17 year olds and then you have some 24/25 year olds. Granted both sets are on the rarer side but it also tends to mess with things. The average age is around 21-22 most years for the league but usually the weaker schools have the older players that come in as Freshman at 20 or 21.

Then there's strength of schedule which is how they come up with the rankings for the ncaa tournament, based off the pairwise ranking.

With Poehling it's just a matter of how good is he really going to be? I certainly couldn't say even though I've watched a lot of him. I don't see a highly skilled offensive player but I do see one that plays a solid all round game and has the physical tools that are NHL level already. I think if he were to turn into a solid 50 pt center for us it would be huge, anything on top of that would just be icing on the cake.

I just worry that some posters that talk about 1st line center, better then Kotka, rookie of the year race, etc... that some will see this and his one NHL game and WJC MVP and if he's not ripping it up it's going to be bash Timmins time when in context of a late round 1st he's likely going to be a solid pick for where we got him baring a surprise. Not to say he couldn't be a 1st line center or better then Kotka but I wouldn't expect it.

Reactions: barbu

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
well part of it is the fact that the league is all over the place in terms of talent. Really it should be split into 2 leagues imo, as a 60 team league is way too much and there's talk of a few more schools going D1. The Atlantic is just so weak compared to the rest and the WCHA isn't much better although that conference is about to die as the top teams are pulling out and the two Alaskan teams are in dire straits as they funding was cut in half.

But it's crazy when you have some 17 year olds and then you have some 24/25 year olds. Granted both sets are on the rarer side but it also tends to mess with things. The average age is around 21-22 most years for the league but usually the weaker schools have the older players that come in as Freshman at 20 or 21.

Then there's strength of schedule which is how they come up with the rankings for the ncaa tournament, based off the pairwise ranking.

With Poehling it's just a matter of how good is he really going to be? I certainly couldn't say even though I've watched a lot of him. I don't see a highly skilled offensive player but I do see one that plays a solid all round game and has the physical tools that are NHL level already. I think if he were to turn into a solid 50 pt center for us it would be huge, anything on top of that would just be icing on the cake.

I just worry that some posters that talk about 1st line center, better then Kotka, rookie of the year race, etc... that some will see this and his one NHL game and WJC MVP and if he's not ripping it up it's going to be bash Timmins time when in context of a late round 1st he's likely going to be a solid pick for where we got him baring a surprise. Not to say he couldn't be a 1st line center or better then Kotka but I wouldn't expect it.
I agree about the overhyping, but IMO, hes one of the more "NHL ready" prospect we've had in recent memory.

I also think hes quite underrated offensively by some, I understand hes had a hard time producing and all but at times Ive seen him do some nifty passes that come out of nowhere. Sounds dumb, but Ill predict anywhere from 30 to 70. Hes a bit like Eller was, back then, theres a lot of upside in both of them and you cant really pinpoint a weakness, though the strengths are obvious.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree about the overhyping, but IMO, hes one of the more "NHL ready" prospect we've had in recent memory.

I also think hes quite underrated offensively by some, I understand hes had a hard time producing and all but at times Ive seen him do some nifty passes that come out of nowhere. Sounds dumb, but Ill predict anywhere from 30 to 70. Hes a bit like Eller was, back then, theres a lot of upside in both of them and you cant really pinpoint a weakness, though the strengths are obvious.

His passing is one of his best assets but even then I don't think it's elite, the points will likely come down to who he's paired with and how good of snipers they are.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

They had great chemistry I witnessed it over multiple games , they had their issues no doubt but it makes a lot of sense to have Kotkaniemi develop with them. Also as much as I'd love Ehlers I doubt he gets traded and he's also Danish.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
They had great chemistry I witnessed it over multiple games , they had their issues no doubt but it makes a lot of sense to have Kotkaniemi develop with them. Also as much as I'd love Ehlers I doubt he gets traded and he's also Danish.

Thanks for the correction there. Getting Ehlers, then, would indeed feel like dessert! I also don't think we actually end up with Ehlers.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poehling currently has a combo of size/strength, skating, skill, and a willingness to go to the net that no one else in this organization has. Because of this, I could see him get a look as a top 6 winger.

Agreed. Poehling has zero holes to his game and the only think he is missing is NHL experience. Some will be upset if they play him on wing for a season but this will not derail his development. He has to learn how to deal with less time and space and he can do that playing at wing or center. Domi started at wing :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad