Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by ahmedou, Apr 2, 2019.

?

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

1. 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

2. Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

3. 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

4. Laval

5. 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Registered User

Poehling is the new Roberge. Our only hope. :sarcasm:

Dude, you can’t be serious. If you have Poehling as our one and only hope to make the playoffs then we’re completely ducked and why bother? Blow it up and start all over if that’s the case.

If you keep putting this much hope and pressure on one rookie, you’re bound to be incredibly disappointed and eventually think he’s a bust even if he isn’t. Relax. Ease him in when he’s ready and watch him develop. It may take several years until he becomes what you hope he does and there’s nothing wrong with that.

zeeto and ItzaGreat like this.
  2. Video Coach

Video Coach Registered User

I agree, Domi and Drouin are a great combo. If you want to include Poeling on that line I would move Drouin to RW, where he has shown in the past, especially in TB, to be excellent. He's very dangerous coming off the rush on his weak side. He can protect it on his backhand and drive to the net, he can stop short and fire off his forehand, he can make a great little slip pass on his backhand. Very dangerous as a RW.

Poeling I could see being effective as a LW, though I still think he's going to be a better C. I'd actually be interested to see him pair with Kotkaniemi as a LW. Maybe Poeling-KK-Lehkonen.

3. Capitano

Capitano Registered User

Home Page:
    Not worried at all. Not putting any pressure on anybody, but I do believe he will be the difference that's all. As far as being disappointed, I'm way past that when it comes to this management team :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

Lehkonen had success with Domi and Shaw. he was playing left wing with Shaw and Domi. Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen was tried numerous times and sucked every time. I could see Poehling with Lehkonen and Domi or with Domi and Byron. But if Domi and Drouin are going to play together, I think Suzuki and Poehling are the top candidates, followed by Weal. Lehkonen, Byron, and Armia all failed.

If Domi and Drouin don't play together, that means Drouin's playing with KK. Who do you have playing with Drouin and KK? Byron and Armia both sucked in that role...

5. Video Coach

I know that top line was so good last year but I always wanted to see Drouin-Danault-Gallagher. I think that could be a real good line. Then Tatar slides to play with KK.

I didn't like Drouin and KK together 5 on 5 but I think they are a good match on the PP.

6. SpeedyPotato

SpeedyPotato Registered User

I'd actually like to see Poehling with Lehkonen and Armia, a bit like it was for KK last year. 3 big, young, restless guys, would make for a pretty nice 3rd line.

Fixxer and Nephasted like this.
  7. Goal Caufield

Goal Caufield Best Dog Ever

Not a terrible idea given the defensive strengths of both wingers.

SpeedyPotato likes this.
  8. Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet Registered User

I didn't like Drouin with anybody last season. His minuscule IQ and propensity to hang on to the puck is difficult for anyone to play with. Hopefully something clicks between his ears because he is a liability on every line right now.

zeeto, Fixxer, Jpageman and 1 other person like this.
  9. Video Coach

I totally get the frustration with Drouin but I thought he had a great first 3/4 of a season. He was right around .8PPG (65 pt pace) and using his speed and creativity 5 on 5. I still believe he has elite level skill. Elite passing, elite shot, elite skating, elite puckhandling.

Yes, his awareness and focus is frustrating at times. Yes, he had a really bad last 1/4 of the season, especially numbers wise. But I still think there's a 70pt winger in there.

He's best playing with 2 guys that are really pushing the play. In his first season, he was at his best with Byron and Gallagher in the last 1/4 of that season and ended strong. Last year he was at his best with Domi and Shaw. But it's up to him to be able to be good without the "perfect" linemates though. He needs to learn how to make a line work and be an impact player on every shift.

10. Mahleezer

Mahleezer Registered User

I believe Poeling will replace Shaw as #1 or #2 RW

26Mats likes this.
  11. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

Two years ago Galchnyuk-Drouin-Gallagher looked very good in spurts, despite not having a real center on the line. Perhaps he'd do well with two other skilled players. It's why I'd like to see if he and Suzuki can play well with an offensive center between them. I get they're both more perimiter players. But so was Galchenyuk. Sometimes when you put good players together good things happen. Like Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta were good their first year, as were Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn in the playoffs.

It's why I'd like to see Drouin-Domi-Poehling and Drouin-Domi-Suzuki tried out. Last year Drouin and Domi played with Shaw, Lehkonen, Armia, and Byron. Not the highest skilled players. It only worked with Shaw.

I'd like to see how the following lines do in preseason:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
    Drouin - Domi - Suzuki/Poehling
    Suzuki/Poehling
    - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen/Armia
    Byron - Weal - Lehkonen/Armia

12. Mahleezer

Mahleezer Registered User

Exactly.

Drouin is a clown.

Every line he played on last season died out.

He was good for roughly a 10 game stretch with Domi.

He is so one dimensional.
    Trade him and a prospect or pick for Laine.

Atleast Laine's one dimension is scoring lots of calls.

CapSpace and Jpageman like this.
  13. EveryDay

EveryDay Registered User

I would like to see him at 3rd line center to start the season but moslty if THIS line is working in the preseason:

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Drouin/Laine
    Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
    Byron-Poehling-Armia
    Cousins-Weal-Lehkonen

Of course if MB could trade Drouin + 1st + A prospect for Laine... could be very let'ssay interesting.

14. larrypacman8167

larrypacman8167 Registered User

As long as they all get good minutes who care....

15. cphabs

cphabs The 2 stooges

Several years? He’ll be 29! There’s something “wrong” with that IMO.

16. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

17. Simarino

Simarino Registered User

The more i see from Poehling the more i think that most of us underestimated his offensive skills, he's not gonna end up a 3C, there's no way this guy is not producing more then guys like Danault and Eller!!!

18. Habricot

Habricot Registered User

I would not mind seeing a kids line: Poehling, KK and Suzuki
    Caufield (later).

In a few years:

Domi, KK, Caufield
    Drouin, Suzuki, Gallagher
    Poeling, Daneault, Some UFA

19. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

here's the roster for the league,

Rosters

no Lindgren this year but his brother is there. Poehling and his brothers are there, Pitlick's cousin is there. Mike Reilly's there as well as former Hab picks McDonagh and Kristo.

20. Hot Dog Water Shaw

Hot Dog Water Shaw Registered User

Gustav Olofsson too, hopefully he can make it through that league without getting hurt.

21. angry pirate

angry pirate Registered User

Everyone in the league didn't score more though and the Habs totals last year in all likelihood have no correlation with league wide increased scoring.

Yes the average of goals scored per team went from 240 to 244 (is one goal every 20 games all that much more?) but only 14 teams scored 4 more goals than the year before. Anaheim as the lowest scoring team only scored 2 less goals than Buffalo in 2017/18. The median was within 1 goal of the year before. The Habs for example, at 246 goals were 13th, in 2018 that would have actually been 14th. Tampa as the leading scoring team both years tells us that they account for 29 of the 124 new goals themselves.

That makes it a bit easier as we know that 1 team at the top accounts for almost 25% of the increase. Calgary, San Jose and Toronto all would have nearly led the league in scoring the year before but were 2 through 4 last season. That's the 2nd outlier. They outscored the 2/3/4 place teams year over year by a combined 51 goals.

Of the 124 goal increase, 4 teams account for 65% of it. The 4 teams who had positive goal differential but were below the league average scored 8 of them. What this means is that the 10 remaining teams, Habs included, that helped push the average up only accounted for 36 total new goals last year.

Scoring was way up at the top (20 goals per team), while being down at the bottom (-2.5 goal/team decrease) at the bottom, while being near identical through the middle. The Habs accounted for very little, if any of the increase in goal scoring last year compared to the 2017/18 season therefore the Habs point totals would have very little if any correlation to the league wide increase.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  22. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Wondering if Poehling has a shot at Rookie of the year? He is likely up against Makar, Foote, Glass, Zadina, Q Hughes, J Hughes, Kakko. Am I missing someone? Of course this is a long shot but if he plays with Domi and Drouin, he might do well. Doubt he racks up the points on the PP but we will see. The kid has game.

I think Makar, Hughes brothers, and Kakko are the front runners

23. Toene

Toene "Che" Weber

@NotProkofievian
    This adds a bit of complementary information to our debate about Danault and his effect on his wingers. One of our contentious points was that since league-wise scoring had increased, it had an effect on the fact Tatar and Gallagher had (respectively) their best points totals and goals totals in their career. Seems like the Habs werent really the beneficiaries of this increase. What do you think?

24. NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian Registered User

I'm not really sure how we were not ''beneficiaries'' of the increased goalscoring when we scored almost 40 goals more than the previous year. The analysis is based on ''ranks'' scoring, but ranks don't score: teams do.

Toene likes this.
  25. SakuKoivu11

SakuKoivu11 Registered User

Poehling will start on the 4th line wing to begin the season. Eventually he’ll be moved to 3rd line center as the season progresses. Similar to what the club did with Kotkaniemi.

Start season:
    Drouin Domi Lehkonen
    Tatar Danault Gallagher
    Byron Kotkaniemi Armia
    Poehling Cousins Weal
    Thompson

End season:
    Tatar Danault Gallagher
    Domi Kotkaniemi Armia
    Drouin Poehling Byron
    Lehkonen Cousins Weal
    Thompson