Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Imo, Larry isn't a great #3C, but to each their own.

Have to agree. But, that's judging Eller as a Hab. At the end, he was an awesome puck-possession offensive black hole that somehow managed to lift his game during the playoffs one season while Bourque was here and did the same.

Eller thought he was better than he was and that caused some problems with Galchenyuk while he was here. There was this ridiculous competition to play C.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I know that top line was so good last year but I always wanted to see Drouin-Danault-Gallagher. I think that could be a real good line. Then Tatar slides to play with KK.

I didn't like Drouin and KK together 5 on 5 but I think they are a good match on the PP.

Can't break Gally and Tatar, they have really good chemistry.

Reactions: angusyoung

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Poehling is more physically ready for the NHL than KK was, for sure. What does that mean in terms of what role Poehling can already excel at? Quite unsure whether that means he can be more of an impact player than KK was last season.

But he definitely can't be worse than Peca, Chaput, Deslauriers and all the middling players that helped fill out the lineup last season, IMO. In terms of production, I mean, and all with what would likely be solid defensive play at the same time.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I'm not really sure how we were not ''beneficiaries'' of the increased goalscoring when we scored almost 40 goals more than the previous year. The analysis is based on ''ranks'' scoring, but ranks don't score: teams do.

We weren't the beneficiaries because the "league wide" increase in offense was mainly driven by the goal scoring of 4 teams at the top. Average scoring went up by 4, but Tampa beat that by x7. When we see goals go up on average we need to ask if it's consistently up among everybody or is somebody in particular pushing the average up. Last year was a combination of both, but the teams at the top really dis-proportionally drove the average up. So while most teams in the league scored 4 or 5 more goals than usual, the teams at the top scored 20 more while the teams at the bottom scored 2 or 3 less.

This is where the ranks can give some context too. If goal scoring is consistently up, the amount of goals required to get to a particular rank or point total would go up. After all, everybody is scoring more. This wasn't significantly the case last season. If we scored 40 more goals and still finished 25th than there would be an argument that we scored more because of increases to league wide offence. But that wasn't the case. We scored 40 more goals and finished almost exactly where you'd expect a team with 246 goals to finish. 96 Points and 13th in scoring.

We didn't score 40 more goals because of increases to goal scoring. We scored 4 or 5.

Reactions: Astormynight

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We weren't the beneficiaries because the "league wide" increase in offense was mainly driven by the goal scoring of 4 teams at the top. Average scoring went up by 4, but Tampa beat that by x7. When we see goals go up on average we need to ask if it's consistently up among everybody or is somebody in particular pushing the average up. Last year was a combination of both, but the teams at the top really dis-proportionally drove the average up. So while most teams in the league scored 4 or 5 more goals than usual, the teams at the top scored 20 more while the teams at the bottom scored 2 or 3 less.

This is where the ranks can give some context too. If goal scoring is consistently up, the amount of goals required to get to a particular rank or point total would go up. After all, everybody is scoring more. This wasn't significantly the case last season. If we scored 40 more goals and still finished 25th than there would be an argument that we scored more because of increases to league wide offence. But that wasn't the case. We scored 40 more goals and finished almost exactly where you'd expect a team with 246 goals to finish. 96 Points and 13th in scoring.

We didn't score 40 more goals because of increases to goal scoring. We scored 4 or 5.

Again, ranks don't score, teams do. And teams score in very different ways. For example, this year, we had 188 GF at 5 on 5. Last year, that would have been good for 2nd in the league, ahead of Toronto. This year it's good for 5th. This year it's good for 5th, and 12 goals ahead of 5th place last year. But because of an awful powerplay we ''didn't benefit from a league wide increase in scoring''? We couldn't fully capitalize on it, sure, but this bump is fairly uniform throughout the ranking.

What you can argue is that we don't know how much of a difference the alterations in the lineup had to do with his bump in scoring performance, and I would agree that this is essentially an unobservable. We can see which players left and which players came in and measure the difference in scoring, but we can't know what the players who left would have done on our team, we can only provide an estimate. I very much doubt that estimate would support the conclusion that ''only 4 or 5 goals'' were attributable to increases in scoring. But it is a question worth asking.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
If Poehling becomes an Eller, I will be pissed yeah.
Right so that's exactly what I'm talking about. For some reason the hype on Poehling has gone sky high so when he "just" becomes a really good 3C instead people are going to turn on him when in any normal world a guy who put up 31 points in college and was taken 25th overall turning into a great 3C is excellent value.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Right so that's exactly what I'm talking about. For some reason the hype on Poehling has gone sky high so when he "just" becomes a really good 3C instead people are going to turn on him when in any normal world a guy who put up 31 points in college and was taken 25th overall turning into a great 3C is excellent value.

Sounds like the only game he has played in the NHL has altered the perception on him. Need to see a bit more to be honest to properly evaluate him.Like what little I've seen,but lets not go bananas just yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

well said! :cheers:

Le compétiteur

But this team only had two good centers, so how is it opening a spot for Koivu? And how does it make sense to compare Turgeon, who was a 1C and the best center this team has had since, to be honest I don't even want to think about? This isn't the same thing, at all. The team is riddled with middle six forward, not stars like Turgeon.

The team wanted To make Koivu 1C right now and wanted Damphousse as 2C, they sent Turgeon as 3C and he was not happy with this and request trade.

Using a center as wingner may be a better option then trading a center To open a spot...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The team wanted To make Koivu 1C right now and wanted Damphousse as 2C, they sent Turgeon as 3C and he was not happy with this and request trade.

Using a center as wingner may be a better option then trading a center To open a spot...
Turgeon was coming off 100 points seasons and all, I understand Koivu had a lot of points but maybe the right move wouldve been Damphousse, who was the oldest of the bunch.

Le compétiteur

Turgeon was coming off 100 points seasons and all, I understand Koivu had a lot of points but maybe the right move wouldve been Damphousse, who was the oldest of the bunch.

Koivu had only 1 season of experience ( 20-25-45)

Habs should have use Turgeon as 1C 1 year more and Koivu as 2C with Damphousse on his wing as back-up centre.

As Habs should use KK as 2C with Danault as his wingner for this year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Habs should have use Turgeon as 1C 1 year more and Koivu as 2C with Damphousse on his wing as back-up centre.

I cam agree to that, makes a lot of sense. Theres also the possibility of using Poehling as a winger for one year, it shouldn't matter much, but Kotkaniemi cant spend another year playing 13 minutes a night AND Danault cant spend another year as a top 6 center, unless they want to tank

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

God forbid a team have 3 good centres..... It's a team game, I don't care about anyone's stats.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Domi does not play well defensively. His line was the most porous last season.
Yeah, may explain why he had the 2nd highest +/- on the team.

Some of the hot takes on this board. Makes you wonder if people watch the games or just slouch in front of the TV as an excuse to get drunk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
God forbid a team have 3 good centres..... It's a team game, I don't care about anyone's stats.
Better stats usually leads to more wins. This team hasnt had one elite forward since Turgeon, can we? The love affair with role players has been going on for 20 years now, and it hasnt lead us anywhere. Maybe the blue collar, hard working philosophy doesnt work?

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary

I’m sorry? But I disagree whole heartedly. Don’t touch the Tatar Danault Gallagher line. If anything move Domi to either Lw or Rw with KK at Center depending on how the rest of the offseason goes if you really want to promote KK. Give him a guy that will get him the puck so he can score. Danault line plays hard minutes, don’t mess with that at all.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m sorry? But I disagree whole heartedly. Don’t touch the Tatar Danault Gallagher line. If anything move Domi to either Lw or Rw with KK at Center depending on how the rest of the offseason goes if you really want to promote KK. Give him a guy that will get him the puck so he can score. Danault line plays hard minutes, don’t mess with that at all.
Danault doesnt move the needle. If you want to win you cant have him in your top 6, plain and simple.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Danault doesnt move the needle. If you want to win you cant have him in your top 6, plain and simple.
No, but the way he has improved as a player every year is quite incredible. It wouldn’t surprise me if he keeps getting better over the next couple seasons.
Having him also allows Domi to have the season he has had, otherwise Domi is going against other teams best lines. Do you think Domi or even KK has the season they had in those tough matchups. Do you think they develop to offensive ceilings getting hammered by other teams best players night after night?
Having Danault effectively replace Pleks is the best thing this team could hope for and when the Habs are ready to compete with the KK’s Phoelings and Suzuki’s in the lineup with prominent roles, Danault can slide down the lineup. He is a great safety net to have.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, but the way he has improved as a player every year is quite incredible. It wouldn’t surprise me if he keeps getting better over the next couple seasons.
Having him also allows Domi to have the season he has had, otherwise Domi is going against other teams best lines. Do you think Domi or even KK has the season they had in those tough matchups. Do you think they develop to offensive ceilings getting hammered by other teams best players night after night?
Having Danault effectively replace Pleks is the best thing this team could hope for and when the Habs are ready to compete with the KK’s Phoelings and Suzuki’s in the lineup with prominent roles, Danault can slide down the lineup. He is a great safety net to have.
Barkov did get hammered defensively and he turned out alright.

You overrate the effect Danault has on this team, and he didnt need the two best winger on the team to do what he did.

Jul 6, 2016

Damphousse was able to play both center and LW, like he did when playing with Muller as his centerman and Bellows on RW in 1993. Habs should had kept Turgeon as their #1 C + Koivu as their #2 C.

Reactions: calder candidate

Jul 6, 2016
Barkov did get hammered defensively and he turned out alright.

You overrate the effect Danault has on this team, and he didnt need the two best winger on the team to do what he did.

Tatar and Gally are very happy to play with Danault.

Reactions: EquabaleAce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad