Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Send all the rookies to Laval, including Kotkaniemi. During the Hab games at the Bell Centre, they can show highlights of the Laval games on the scoreboard.

We're not sending Kotkaniemi down this year right off the bat without any consideration after he's earned his spot last year and showed progression in the first part of the season. We'll see how he does at camp, evaluate him there, and then give him a spot in our team where he'll be given the optimal opportunity for performance and growth.

If Mint sucks for an extended period of time at camp or to begin the season, I'm fine with sending him down, just don't do anything rash and carefully watch him first.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just like KK started at C right away, Poehling needs to play C right away. He's a pure C. Either play him at C or in the AHL.

KK can't play wing,he'd be demolished. Poehling can at least since he's built a bit more. I don't want him sitting around waiting for Thompson to tail off. Don't mind if he plays some LW to learn at the same time without the defensive responsibility.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
KK can't play wing,he'd be demolished. Poehling can at least since he's built a bit more. I don't want him sitting around waiting for Thompson to tail off. Don't mind if he plays some LW to learn at the same time without the defensive responsibility.
Poehling has shown time and time again he plays better as a C than W. I'd rather have him play 20 mins in the A than W.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
KK to Laval might be the worst take I’ve ever seen on HF and that’s saying something... :facepalm:

Tbh if hes going to play 12 minutes a night with Lekhonen and Weal Id much rather he goes down.

My option is not there so did not vote but I say move Domi to the wing, Kotkaniemi 2nd line center, Poehling 3rd line center like this :

2019-20 line up so far - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Imagine if they had put Koivu on the wing in 1998 to play Damphousse, Zholtok and Zubrus ahead of him. Thats the same thing youre suggesting.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I really don’t see a problem with having top 4Cs of Domi - Kotka - Danault - Poehling. Finally some depth down the middle. I would really avoid moving Domi to wing considering his production last year at C

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
98 was Koivus breakout season and his 2nd one, he was also 22.

How does that relate to what I told you ?

Once again, Koivu has always been a center all his career from TPS turku to the habs. Domi has been a winger in the NHL except for last season. The comparison is off, sorry.

Reactions: Gains

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Tbh if hes going to play 12 minutes a night with Lekhonen and Weal Id much rather he goes down.

Imagine if they had put Koivu on the wing in 1998 to play Damphousse, Zholtok and Zubrus ahead of him. Thats the same thing youre suggesting.
Difference: Zubrus was always a winger and Zholtok was always a bottom 6 center. Kk and Poehling are two promising young centers with good upside (perhaps even more than Domi). Equally, Domi has always been a winger pretty much all his hockey career except for this year (in Junior, Bo Horvat was his center).

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Domi has played wing all his career in the NHL except for last season. Koivu always was a center. So I would say your comparison is odd to say the least.
Domi has sucked offensively all of his career in the NHL before last season. Not sure why you'd want to change what worked.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I voted Laval.

I'd like Poehling (and Suzuki) to learn under Bouchard for a year, and earn organizational trust and big minutes there.

My worry is that with Poehlings motor and defensive play, Claude will fit him into the lineup.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Poehling is the only hope for this team to have a sniff at the playoffs. I mean the team hasn't changed much at all otherwise. And last year we had quite a few players hit career highs so it's going to be that much tougher.

Our division is getting better too. Toronto and TB are locks for the playoffs, sure I mean anything could happen but those 2 are pretty much a given. Which leaves 1-2 spots for Boston, Montreal, Florida, Buffalo.

If Poehling can be somewhat effective in the NHL this year then we have a chance to make the playoffs. Getting out of our division is an entirely different question though.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Poehling is the only hope for this team to have a sniff at the playoffs. I mean the team hasn't changed much at all otherwise. And last year we had quite a few players hit career highs so it's going to be that much tougher.

Our division is getting better too. Toronto and TB are locks for the playoffs, sure I mean anything could happen but those 2 are pretty much a given. Which leaves 1-2 spots for Boston, Montreal, Florida, Buffalo.

If Poehling can be somewhat effective in the NHL this year then we have a chance to make the playoffs. Getting out of our division is an entirely different question though.

Poehling is far from the primary hope for improvement.

We can start with Price not having the worst 3 month start of his career and not losing Weber for 2 months. Then there is the potential for Kotkaniemi taking a significant step forward. Let's not forget that Mete was awful for the first half and had to be sent to Laval and was much better from that point on. We also have a full season with Kulak who was a huge improvement over Reilly. Let's also look at the fact that we have made huge improvements in our bottom line depth/talent and we have true top end prospects actually playing in Laval that could potentially break in to the lineup like Gallagher and Subban did. Despite all of these issues last season we ended up with a point total that would have put us in a playoff position any other season.

This is one of the youngest teams in the league and internal development is almost always the main catalyst for significant improvements in team performance. People mistakenly point to free agency every year and prognosticate the risers and fallers from each team's respective debits and credits. This is a fatal flaw but it continues to be the projection model that is used most commonly by fans and media.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Poehling is far from the primary hope for improvement.

We can start with Price not having the worst 3 month start of his career and not losing Weber for 2 months. Then there is the potential for Kotkaniemi taking a significant step forward. Let's not forget that Mete was awful for the first half and had to be sent to Laval and was much better from that point on. We also have a full season with Kulak who was a huge improvement over Reilly. Let's also look at the fact that we have made huge improvements in our bottom line depth/talent and we have true top end prospects actually playing in Laval that could potentially break in to the lineup like Gallagher and Subban did. Despite all of these issues last season we ended up with a point total that would have put us in a playoff position any other season.

This is one of the youngest teams in the league and internal development is almost always the main catalyst for significant improvements in team performance. People mistakenly point to free agency every year and prognosticate the risers and fallers from each team's respective debits and credits. This is a fatal flaw but it continues to be the projection model that is used most commonly by fans and media.

All valid points, but there were other players last year that played much better than they are typically capable...Petry, Shaw, Byron, even Domi. We'll see if they can replicate their performances - Shaw aside of course.

That's why I think Poehling is the key. We'll see soon enough!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
All valid points, but there were other players last year that played much better than they are typically capable...Petry, Shaw, Byron, even Domi. We'll see if they can replicate their performances - Shaw aside of course.

Everyone in the league scored more than usual last year though. If it was only the Habs you could say that, but scoring was way up.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Petry simply took on more of Weber's role which lead to a statistical improvement. Byron more or less continued what he had done the previous two seasons and Domi just did what he was always expected to do. Shaw was very much a beneficiary of Domi's skill and it is very likely that we can get similar and possibly better production out of another player put in the same position.

I didn't mention the change in coaching philosophy which had a huge part in the increase in production. You have to account for this when comparing players from the previous season when Ducharme and Richardson were not here.

I also failed to mention that Drouin is a wild card who has the potential to make a huge leap forward based on his poor play last season. There is also the fact that we have a healthy Juulsen back which we never had last season.

People talk about career years but there isn't a single player on this team that anyone should bet against replicating and possibly bettering their totals from last season.

Due to parity it only takes a tiny shift forwards or backwards for a team to experience a significant rise or fall in the standings. This fact can make any of us look foolish when trying to forecast a team's future performance from our telescopic July lens.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I could see him playing in Laval or being a winger in Montreal but I still think the most likely option is he starts as the 4C in Montreal and works his way up to 3C, either by year's end, or starting in 2020/21.

I like the idea of pairing him with someone like Weal, who can take draws and give him insight as a C.

Reactions: Archijerej

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If not it's Drouin-Domi-Poehling

I'm curious how this idea of Poehling playing 2nd line RW was born? It circulates here all the time and it's such a weird concept. Why is he a right winger, all of the sudden? Almost as weird as expecting Poehling to be a #2 center next year. There were two RWs who had success with Domi last season. One was Shaw, but he's gone, and the other was Lehkonen at the end of the season. I'm willing to bet he's the one who's going to flank Domi.

What I forgot to sharpen my skates Drouin? They tried it last year him and Domi and it never worked out in the end.

Domi was actually the only player with whom Drouin had any kind of chemistry. In fact, they were excellent together in stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->