Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Better stats usually leads to more wins. This team hasnt had one elite forward since Turgeon, can we? The love affair with role players has been going on for 20 years now, and it hasnt lead us anywhere. Maybe the blue collar, hard working philosophy doesnt work?
That's my point. We should have kept Turgeon, Damphousse and Koivu, all three of them, and with PP time and PK for VD, they would have had 16-18 minutes each.

Reactions: Toene

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What does it have to do with his ability to play defense as a center and his line being often a liability 5 on 5?
If you would have replied with +/- numbers are not the tell-all stat, you would have had a half argument. Not a complete argument but half of one.

So I'll answer your question. If Domi is terrible at playing defense as a center those +/- numbers would not be top 2 on the team. And I'll also add those numbers would have been a lot better if Drouin didn't play on that line for half the year. For you to claim that Domi can't play defensive hockey reveals you don't watch the game when you're in front of the TV. You're watching your presumptions.

Can he improve that part of his game? Sure. But everyone on this team can improve that part of the game.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
My scouting report on Poehling from this past season.

Ryan Poehling is an explosive two-way pivot who understands the game at an elite level. Poehling has a powerful explosive skating stride through his first couple of steps and above-average speed. Poehling utilizes his cross overs to generate power and speed aided by his great skating mechanics. His puck protection skills are one of his better assets as he is able to stickhandle and keep control along the boards or in open ice. Poehling’s overall work down low below the goal line offensively or defensively is creative and efficient. His playmaking and vision in the offensive zone are excellent as he can thread the needle through traffic for a back door play especially on the man advantage. He prefers to use a quick snapshot but can also fire off a full-fledge wrist shot with great accuracy and good velocity.

Notes: Habs Prospects in the NCAA

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
My scouting report on Poehling from this past season.

Ryan Poehling is an explosive two-way pivot who understands the game at an elite level. Poehling has a powerful explosive skating stride through his first couple of steps and above-average speed. Poehling utilizes his cross overs to generate power and speed aided by his great skating mechanics. His puck protection skills are one of his better assets as he is able to stickhandle and keep control along the boards or in open ice. Poehling’s overall work down low below the goal line offensively or defensively is creative and efficient. His playmaking and vision in the offensive zone are excellent as he can thread the needle through traffic for a back door play especially on the man advantage. He prefers to use a quick snapshot but can also fire off a full-fledge wrist shot with great accuracy and good velocity.

Notes: Habs Prospects in the NCAA

what I really like from what I've seen is that despite the somewhat underwhelming production this past year he just seems flat out better. Can make plays at top speeed and just seems overall faster. Very excited about him. I don't think he's quite as good as his most enthusiastic supporters but he could be close enough.

Reactions: canadiensnation

Nick Slafkofield

Nov 5, 2018
somewhat? A 1st rounder that's 73rd overall in the league in scoring and has his goals drop almost 50% from his age 18 season is a little more then somewhat underwhelming production i'd say.
We could also not look too much into it and just be enthusiastic about his pro debut

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I do not see this guy scoring 30 goals at any time in his carreer.

Seems pretty high given the results.
We will see.
Comparing him to ROR when the later was in the league at d+1.
Not sure I see 53 points and 18 goals at the same age: next year...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Poehling will probably end up playing in Montreal out of necessity unless we replace Shaws 19 goals via trade. He scored 3 goals in what was basically an exhibition game and hopefully, the media and fans do not put too much pressure on him by feeling like he should be a 30 goal scorer right away. If he sticks with the big club and scores 10-15 it would be a good accomplishment but he is probably better off in the AHL and called up only if there is an injury in the forward group.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

We will see.
ROR never scored 30 either.

Also the age at which a player does X and Y means very little.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

We will see.
I do, if gally can i think poehling could as well. He has gallys intensity and more skilled imo

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We could also not look too much into it and just be enthusiastic about his pro debut

that's fine if your expectations are held in check. If he struggles to produce it will be no time before some posters are in the Timmins thread saying how Timmins sucks and he should have drafted so and so or blah blah blah instead.

I chose to look at everything, he's easily one of our best prospects, have had him rated #1 before the system took off with Suzuki, Caufield, and then Brook crushes it. I've been calling him an easy lock for the NHL for some time now, fans are going to love him as he plays the game the right way and has an NHL style game already.

While NCAA stats can be very misleading in both the good and bad, it doesn't hurt to point out that his numbers put in context of being on the best team in the NCAA (they were 4 lines deep) and back to back years as the 2nd best offense in the league, was disappointing for a 1st round pick. But he will very much be an NHLer, how good is anyone's guess. I would be surprised if he's a 1st line center and I am not sure he can be a 2nd line center on a cup contending team. So I have questions about how high his offensive upside really is.

That said he's going to be a solid NHLer at the worst and I think he will do better then say Eller did here but how much better I'm not sure. Could he put up 50 pts, yes but do I expect him to, not really. I'd need to see who he plays with since he's a playmaker mostly. If Caufield ends up being a legit stud 30-40 goal scorer in the NHL some day and he's on a line with Poehling then Poehling is clearly going to put up some numbers. But we'll see how that plays out.

We will see.

I don't see 30 goals because he's a playmaker, his coach moved him on a line with his brothers in order to force him to shoot more as was said during one of their games by the Habs NCAA scout (he's a regular on tv for NCAA hockey, Dave Starman who I'm certain had a say in us drafting Poehling)

So the question will be who he plays with as he is likely going to always be a pass first guy. Now maybe he pulls a Pacioretty but I would be shocked as Pac was a past first guy in the NCAA but he was only in the NCAA 1 year. In the AHL he started shooting more when he played with DD. I don't think Poehling has the shot to do that, he will score goals in the NHL for sure but I don't see him as some snipe putting up 30 and I'm not sure he would be a consistent 20 goal guy, maybe around that level in the 15-25 range but it's hard to project NCAA production to the NHL.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Wouldn't stand a chance against my border collie.
My Golden would have just sat and looked at me till I was done. 20 minutes later? The exercise ball, stick, and puck would have chew marks and slobber all over them. LOL

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Wouldn't stand a chance against my border collie.

I dogsit my neighbor's 3 years old border collie and I can confirm. She can be sitting right next to me, I'll throw a frisbee as hard, as fast and as far as I can, she will be able to reach it before it touches the ground. She explodes like a bullet and reaches top speed in an instant. Impressive animal.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
somewhat? A 1st rounder that's 73rd overall in the league in scoring and has his goals drop almost 50% from his age 18 season is a little more then somewhat underwhelming production i'd say.

yeah but there is some players who dont kill it in college yet achieve great carreers if there is a player who could be like that and has showned its not only about points for him.. well its Poehling..

the guy is a true pro, and true good man he insisted on playing with his brothers despite not helping his cause.. if there is one player in the organisation right now that was working towards becoming a pro well its him. so im not worried he seems to be building a game thats going to be very rewarding at the big league. in his case playing with Elite players will make his crafted tools shine more than ever. but I gues will see. a 50 to 60 pts do-it-all center would be amazing.

he reminds me a bit of Mcdonagh towards his attitude and work ethic. not worried one bit.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
yeah but there is some players who dont kill it in college yet achieve great carreers if there is a player who could be like that and has showned its not only about points for him.. well its Poehling..

the guy is a true pro, and true good man he insisted on playing with his brothers despite not helping his cause.. if there is one player in the organisation right now that was working towards becoming a pro well its him. so im not worried he seems to be building a game thats going to be very rewarding at the big league. in his case playing with Elite players will make his crafted tools shine more than ever. but I gues will see. a 50 to 60 pts do-it-all center would be amazing.

he reminds me a bit of Mcdonagh towards his attitude and work ethic. not worried one bit.
Poehling could very well end up wearing the "C" down the line.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->