Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
not at all

Poehling skates well and Getzlaf doesn't

Getzlaf is better on every other facet.
Getzlaf doesnt skate well?
Big men dont look like great skaters but Getzlaf is a very good skater. Elite in every aspect of the game and tough too. I've always loved him as a player.
Poehling looks good in a big tournament like WJC and that's encouraging. And he scores 3 goals in his debut (albeit a "meaningless" game) which is very impressive.
He's the type that does a lot of things well but nothing really stands out.
Hes got the size and maturity to start here right away.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Getzlaf doesnt skate well?
Big men dont look like great skaters but Getzlaf is a very good skater. Elite in every aspect of the game and tough too. I've always loved him as a player.
Poehling looks good in a big tournament like WJC and that's encouraging. And he scores 3 goals in his debut (albeit a "meaningless" game) which is very impressive.
He's the type that does a lot of things well but nothing really stands out.
Hes got the size and maturity to start here right away.

No he doesn't

That's his weakeness actually.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
4th line center and Laval should be his workload next season.

I'd be very surprised if he were in Laval next year to start. Not disappointed, but surprised.

He seems like a guy Julien will want in his lineup, whether as 4th line C, or even 3rd or 2nd line C, or on the wing. Julien likes size and Poehling can play. I don't see him in Laval unless he's sat in the press box for a few games and they want to send him down at that point for game experience.

I would be fine with him developing in Laval. But this is how I see Julien doing things. Hopefully Poehling will do well as a top 9 forward. Gotta hope for the best.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I can see why a lot of posters would want Poehling in the NHL to start to year and if Sly was still the coach I’d agree. But with Bouchard there and history showing some time in the AHL helps developing young players, I hope he starts in Laval, plays 20 minutes a night, dominates and gets called up with a ton of confidence. Then give him good minutes to start off with because as of now, we’re full up at center and playing 8-12 min a night won’t help him any.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I can see why a lot of posters would want Poehling in the NHL to start to year and if Sly was still the coach I’d agree. But with Bouchard there and history showing some time in the AHL helps developing young players, I hope he starts in Laval, plays 20 minutes a night, dominates and gets called up with a ton of confidence. Then give him good minutes to start off with because as of now, we’re full up at center and playing 8-12 min a night won’t help him any.
Considering Caufield, Romanov, and Brook will likely be joining the team for the 2020-2021 season, I think we see Poehling and Suzuki make it this year. Can't have 5 rookies come in at once.

Reactions: Tyson

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
In a perfect world he dominates the AHL.

With that being said montreal likelu finishes outside the playoffs and drafts another good prospect and builds from there.

Important season coming up this year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Considering Caufield, Romanov, and Brook will likely be joining the team for the 2020-2021 season, I think we see Poehling and Suzuki make it this year. Can't have 5 rookies come in at once.

I think Poehling and either Brook or Fleury maaaybe Suzuki because we have a hole on RW see some time or make the jump but that’s not to say Poehling can’t spend some time in Laval before.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Poehling and either Brook or Fleury maaaybe Suzuki because we have a hole on RW see some time or make the jump but that’s not to say Poehling can’t spend some time in Laval before.
Maybe we see them as TDL callups, but I do imagine both Poehling and Suzuki will see plenty of NHL action this year.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Interesting. I have not looked at it that way.

It might unfold like this:

2020: Poehling make it full-time, we see some of Brook and Suzuki
2021: Suzuki and Brook make it full-time we see some of Romanov and Caufield
2022: Romanov and Caufield make it full-time (thinking they spend some time in the AHL in 2021)

Reactions: Vachon23

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

2022: Romanov and Caufield make it full-time (thinking they spend some time in the AHL in 2021)
Ya there usually is some sort of buffer year where the player splits between AHL and NHL.

The two guys I think could use the most “seasoning” are Brook and possibly Suzuki. Both guys are high upside guys but still refining their games and coming from junior. Poehling to me is just ready to roll.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I don't like that much.

With Kotkaniemi only havint wo years left on his ELC and Mete having only one, the Habs should really look to compete in 2021-2022. Making room for the kids is really important right now and the goal should be to have the full roster, minus 2019 picks+2020 first rounder (Except if we win the lottery.) by 2022. Adding Caufield and Romanov full time means theyre rookies and that they won't have the actual experience to compete.

I'd do this, even though I know they don't have the balls for it.

Lekhonen-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki
Drouin-Poehling-Armia
Cousins-Thompson-Byron

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Brook
Kulak-Juulsen

PP unit 1 (1-3-1 formation)
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Weber-Brook

That first PP unit could have really, really great success in the same way the Caps unit has had success for a decade. Using Weber as the right halfboard shot, in Ovechkin place, Kotkaniemi as the right side shot/set up, Gallagher as the slot/quick rebound role, Domi as the slot threat and the roving goal-line set-up with Brook at the top of the 1-3-1 with his great wrister and great mobility on the line.

30 last seconds or so. 2nd unit PP.
Suzuki-Poehling-Tatar
Juulsen-Mete/Chiarot/Drouin

PK units
Poehling-Byron
Mete-Weber

PK2
Kotkaniemi/Thompson-Armia/Lekhonen
Chiarot/Kulak-Juulsen

Drouin, Petry and Danault are trade bait here, I know most will hate this but Danault won't bring us to the POs and he's in the way of our centers, Poehling, Domi and Kotkaniemi all have more potential than him. Either he's moved for a LWer with Drouin or he's moved for a first rounder without Drouin. Maybe Drouin is kept around until the summer and a trade is arranged with Seattle to take him, thats what I'd do.

Lekhonen-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Caufield/Caufield
Armia-Poehling-Suzuki/Caufield
Cousins-Evans-Byron

Mete-Weber
Romanov-Brook
Kulak/Chiarot-Juulsen/Fleury

Lots of contracts coming up.
Does Gallagher get 8 millions ? Because that's what he'll ask for.
Does Tatar resign ? How much will he want ? If he wants shorter term with reasonable salary and still is respectable, Id love to bring him back, anyway the left side is horrendous.
Are Armia and Lekhonen coming back as role players? As Lekhonen bursted into a legit top 6er ? I think they're both replaceable but also essential to the teams success.
Does Kotkaniemi get 8 millions or as he stagnated ? If he has, the rebuild is screwed, unless the team landed high picks in 2020/2021.

-Domi-Caufield
-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki
-Poehling-Lekhonen
Cousins-Evans-Armia

Romanov-Brook
Mete-Weber
Kulak/Chiarot-Juulsen/Fleury

Wildcards to make it 2020 first rounder, 2021 first rounder, 2020 2nd rounder, Jordan Harris, Jesse Ylonen, Luca Vejdemo, Mike McCarron, Joni Ikonen, Mattias Norlinder, Cole Fonstad.

Looking at this, the left wing is really, really wing both in the roster and in our pool, this will have to be adressed sooner than later. Also, most, if not all of the teams success is on Kotkaniemi and the 2020/2021 first rounders. If none of those three can become the number one center this team has been looking for, it's going to be another decade long of being really, really irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad