Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I think recall waivers was abolished in this cba but i could be wrong

You're correct, there are no re-entry waivers in the new CBA. If they Oilers want to bring him back, they can do so any time they have the cap space and roster spot open.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
You're correct, there are no re-entry waivers in the new CBA. If they Oilers want to bring him back, they can do so any time they have the cap space and roster spot open.

That's good news. I think Jones can still be a contributor at the NHL level. We'll see how he handles the demotion.

Clutch Canadian4

Sep 10, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It's simple, Hamilton came in and took his job... That's what pre-season is for, he wasn't playing and the Oilers took exception. He is a good player but his eye injury has effected his play. I hope another team gives him a shot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Should be interesting to see what he does. He can either go and earn his job back, or he can sulk and stay down there. I get the feeling we'll see him again

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Exactly, thank you. My feeling also.

Add to this Hamilton has looked worse than Jones out there so far.

What there is some revisionist history going on here. I recall most posters noted that Jones was not having a good camp. For Ryan Hamilton, its more than just "coaching nepotism". By most reports, Hamilton finishes his checks, has outhit Jones and outworked Jones in the corners and he is defensively superior, not just at training camp but as a Marlies last year. He also scored 30 goals in 56 games in the A. Apparently he also did well in killing the 5 v 3 PK the other night. Can Jones do the same?

The Ryan Jones of 2010 is not the same Ryan Jones of 2012 lockout season, nor of preseason training camp today. In 2010, Ryan Jones hit people constantly, was a bit of a disturber of the opposition and would go head first into the scrum around the net if he thought he could dig the puck out and score.

Where is that Ryan Jones? That Ryan Jones hasn't been seen for a while.

I'm not dissing Jones, he's been a good Oiler and I hope that he can bounce back in the AHL and return to the 2010 Ryan Jones. There's certainly a role for that guy here on the Oil.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Not really surprised he cleared. A lot of teams have their own cap issues and can't afford to take on any salary. For those teams that do have space, they may be waiting to see what else comes yet, as I suspect several other teams will be need to waive players to be cap compliant and/or have more breathing room from the ceiling.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
If Jones can't understand why he was demoted then there's no helping him. From Eakins' comments this morning I get the impression that the Oilers still like him and are hoping that he'll find his form and confidence again in OKC.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Its kind of heartbreaking to see Jonesy leave like this.

I really hope he lights in up down there and satisfies himself.

LovableLinus*

Can't blame him.

Why? It's not the Oilers fault he got outplayed by a career AHLer. Do you think they should have kept him simply because he's a nice guy? No. He can only be 'not happy' at himself for his performance.

Jones sucks. Hope he can hunt down in OKC because that's where he'll dwell.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Too bad he can't take it in stride like a Reasoner. Why is he so mad? He did nothing in pre season. Coasted. He took his spot for granted or his eye is bothering him. That's life. He got replaced for now.

Go take it as motivation and work your butt off.

What a breath of fresh air. I didn't think they would send him down.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why? It's not the Oilers fault he got outplayed by a career AHLer. Do you think they should have kept him simply because he's a nice guy? No. He can only be 'not happy' at himself for his performance.

Jones sucks. Hope he can hunt down in OKC because that's where he'll dwell.

He doesn't suck. He needs to find his edge again. He used to be a "do anything for the team" guy. Since his eye injury, he has been tentative and shies away from physicality. If he gets that back, he's still a good bottom sixer.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
You want him pissed off, but at himself, not the organzation. Not saying he is mad at the team, but if he doesn't understand why he was cut, something's wrong.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Meh, nothing wrong with not talking to the media.

If he's pissed, all they're going to get is either something he shouldn't say or some bogus cliches.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
How will Jones do in the AHL? It seems like he could be a 30 goal guy if he's working hard, but Nelson doesn't have a lot of patience for laziness regardless of your reputation.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Sad day that he's off the team but it had to happen. He was playing terrible and he needs to find his game again. Jones has always been one of my favorites so I hope to see him get back to how he was and see him back in an Oilers jersey soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad