Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Why? It's not the Oilers fault he got outplayed by a career AHLer. Do you think they should have kept him simply because he's a nice guy? No. He can only be 'not happy' at himself for his performance.

Jones sucks. Hope he can hunt down in OKC because that's where he'll dwell.

He's frustrated and disappointed, and obviously just received the news. He doesn't have to be a U.N. diplomat and give the rah-rah kubasa bullshat immediately, or at all. He doesn't exist solely for the fans' pastime pleasure.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
He's frustrated and disappointed, and obviously just received the news. He doesn't have to be a U.N. diplomat and give the rah-rah kubasa bullshat immediately, or at all. He doesn't exist solely for the fans' pastime pleasure.

Yup, sometimes it's easy to forget they are people too. Let Jones get a chance to catch his breath a little and I'm sure his attitude will be fine.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Ryan rishaug talked about this this morning.

Paraphrasing, but heres what he said:

hes very surprised jones got cut in place of ryan hamilton, he says anytime you have an nhl veteran that loses a job to an unproven guy, there has to be a significant difference in their play on the ice. He went on to say that he didnt think ryan hamilton was THAT much better than Jones, and Jones has obviously proven more....so he was kinda surprised that they cut jones because he wasnt that much worse than hamilton.

Here another question, is jones better than smyth? If so, why didnt we cut smyth? Im assuming its because of Smyths legacy, and not his on ice play because i'd rather have Ryan Jones than Ryan Smyth on this team

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
If anyone is listening to Stauffer's show Scott Howson is on. For some reason he is not saying it is 100% certain that Jones is going to OKC. He has not been assigned there yet.

LovableLinus*

hes very surprised jones got cut in place of ryan hamilton, he says anytime you have an nhl veteran that loses a job to an unproven guy, there has to be a significant difference in their play on the ice. He went on to say that he didnt think ryan hamilton was THAT much better than Jones, and Jones has obviously proven more....so he was kinda surprised that they cut jones because he wasnt that much worse than hamilton.

Here another question, is jones better than smyth? If so, why didnt we cut smyth? Im assuming its because of Smyths legacy, and not his on ice play because i'd rather have Ryan Jones than Ryan Smyth on this team

Because Eakins plans to have Smytty on the top line with Hall and Hemsky, and says it's his most productive. :help:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

From what I saw this preseason:

Smyth >> Hamilton > Jones

I'm perfectly content with the decision made.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
If anyone is listening to Stauffer's show Scott Howson is on. For some reason he is not saying it is 100% certain that Jones is going to OKC. He has not been assigned there yet.

Trade request? This sounds interesting.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

If you need to ask this question, then you haven't been watching the games. Smyth has been better than both Hamilton and Jones.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Trade request? This sounds interesting.

Bob asked him if it could be a trade instead, and Howson said at this point anything is possible. Maybe they are trying to trade him and if nothing happens he goes to OKC.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Bob asked him if it could be a trade instead, and Howson said at this point anything is possible. Maybe they are trying to trade him and if nothing happens he goes to OKC.

Hmmm. I wish I could have heard that conversation. The question now is, "Who could use Jones and would trade for him when he was essentially free on waivers?"

Edit: A swap of two cleared players makes the most sense to me. Or a player about to be cut by another team. The reason I say that is it would just be contract swapping (contract numbers being equal for both sides)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I guess the point is...regardless of what you might project Jones to be on the depth chart....if he doesnt play better then he's cut. That's the concept of being accountable in training camp. Pitlick got cut after being challenged to have an as good or better game and didn't quite get there. That's my take anyway.

I don't have a problem as long as guys get the opportunity to win back the spot and, on that note, I don't really think Acton or Hamilton have any guarantees going forward judging by what Eakins has said about them ("good, not great"..."need to be better"...etc.).

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Hmmm. I wish I could have heard that conversation. The question now is, "Who could use Jones and would trade for him when he was essentially free on waivers?"

I assume if there is a team willing to trade for him it would be one that needs to send a contract back.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
From what I saw this preseason:

Smyth >> Hamilton > Jones

I'm perfectly content with the decision made.

Agreed. Jones legitimately lost his spot, proven nhl player or not, he was beyond awful in the pre season. Smyth actually made plays and created chances, whether smyth haters want to admit it or not, jones did absolutely nothing. Hamilton at least hit people he actually did something out there, unlike jones who just lost the puck, didn't take the body, made bad passes and took bad penalties. Jones deserved to be sent down Plain and simple.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

A team that's tight against the cap and needs to move salary themselves - Maybe Leafs?

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

Contract buy out / mutual termination far more likely. He just passed through waivers, 29 other teams could have had him for free.

Maybe the Oilers aren't confident in Jones' eye issue.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Contract buy out / mutual termination far more likely. He just passed through waivers, 29 other teams could have had him for free.

In a cap/contract limit world, there always more to consider besides getting a player for "free".

I don't see Jones agreeing to terminate his contract, he's not going to get more elsewhere on the free agent market.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

A buyout would open up a little cap space and reduce the contracts by one, but you would think they would have done that by now if that was the plan. My guess is they are trying to trade him. After that, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad