Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sucks to be Jones right now but probably lands somewhere at some point and its great being an NHLer for this many games for a guy with not much of a skillset. Even if it ends he's had a great ride.

But heres the main point and what is significant in this. FINALLY the Oilers have a lineup chock full of players and prospects that made Jones look redundant at best (at worst not even in the same ballpark)

By the time you watched the game last night, you knew Jones was gone. During one break in play last night I looked at Jones sitting next to Hall on the bench and thought this is his last time in this jersey. This guy just isn't going to be in this lineup anymore.

Suddenly we have the lineup where you clearly gotta be better than a Jones, or Omark. Guys like Petrell, Harti, Belanger perhaps saw the writing on the wall as well.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
In the section before buried contracts in your link it shows the league minimum. This year it is $550,000 making the magic number $925,000 before it starts to count towards your cap.

Which fits exactly with the $575,000 Capgeek is showing for Jones' cap hit as a buried player.

$1,500,000 - $925,000 = $575,000

Whether or not Jones is a good guy the Oilers are a better team after making this move. That should be the priority for making personnel decisions. Kudos to MacT and/or Eakins for this one.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not happy.

Back on July 2, I didn't like how MacT signed him at all, thought it was a dumb move.

1.5M flushed down the toilet.

Hopefully the Sharks pick him up with the injury to Torres

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I'm not happy.

Back on July 2, I didn't like how MacT signed him at all, thought it was a dumb move.

The Oil haven't paid him anything so far, he didn't even have a signing bonus.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The Oil haven't paid him anything so far, he didn't even have a signing bonus.

Maybe the wrong point by me to make.

Right point would have been to say that depending on Jones to be a third liner was dumb, because we could have used that 1.5M in summer cap money towards something else earlier this summer.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Right point would have been to say that depending on Jones to be a third liner was dumb, because we could have used that 1.5M in summer cap money towards something else earlier this summer.

I have a feeling someone will pick him up. We won't be paying him anything hopefully.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Which fits exactly with the $575,000 Capgeek is showing for Jones' cap hit as a buried player.

$1,500,000 - $925,000 = $575,000

Whether or not Jones is a good guy the Oilers are a better team after making this move. That should be the priority for making personnel decisions. Kudos to MacT and/or Eakins for this one.

I find it difficult to praise MacT for waiving a contract he created a few months earlier, or congratulating Eakins for choosing a guy he brought in over Jones.

As bad as Jones was in the pre-season, Hamilton wasn't really better; maybe a bit, but there is some risk in waiving an NHL player for a guy who hasn't been in the NHL based on the pre-season.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
There's only room for one mullet on this team. Seriously though it's good to know we will have a somewhat decent and reconditioned call-up when Gordon and Acton get injured.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
If he made half of his contract I'd say there was a chance he gets picked up but at 1.5m I think there's zero percent chance. Teams are just too tight with their dough when it comes to bottom 6 guys now.

If we hadn't signed him I don't think any other team would have given him more than a PTO this offseason. MacT probably thought that one last chance with the team would have lit a fire under him but they gave him lots of games and ice time in the preseason and he couldn't get anything going and even worse looked like he didn't care about it and was just waiting for the season to start.

I think this is a shot across the dressing room bow to some veterans that maybe havent completely bought in yet that the best players will play and stay. Guys like Eager, Arcobello, Joensuu, Hamilton and Acton have won jobs for now but a few bad games up here and they'll be sent down and other guys will be brought in. They did a lot of that on the Leafs where Eakins came from and I'm sure he'll have no qualms about doing it here.

I don't think Hamilton and Acton are permanent fixtures by any means but I think their familiarity with Eakins' system helped them and that holding their own against the other competition for those bottom spots didnt hurt. They weren't worse than anyone that got released or sent down.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
All good with me. I'm sure he was a great locker room presence, but he was a severely overrated on these boards. I know some of you called me a Jones hater over the last couple of years, but it's for the best. The only thing I hated was him getting top 9 minutes, as I was fine if he was on the 4th line. This just shows the team is finally showing some depth for once. Wish him the best of luck, many teams can use a 12/13th forward.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Too bad. The three preseason games I saw Jones play he was dreadful. He lost his spot based on that performance, and that's fair, but I'm not going to judge him on those games. I'm going to remember Jones who was money in 2010 and 2011, playing hard every night when half the team was mailing it in. There were nights when Jones was the only guy going, and I'm not forgetting that. Seems like a hell of a good guy too. Best of luck to him getting his career back on track.

If you posted **** about Jones in this thread, shame on you.

They weren't worse than anyone that got released or sent down.
I dunno man, Hamiliton was pretty invisible out there. If that's an NHL player, I must be dreaming.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Jonesy has been steady and always competed out ther with the oilers! I cant see how hamilton outplayed jonesy for a spot. Jonesy had a great game the first one in Calgary, after that it seems he thought he had his spot secured.

Hamilton was just awful in the awaygame against Wpj, turnover whole over the ice and looked like a average Ahl player in that one. If Hamilton and Acton gets spots because of a relationship earlier with Dallas, such politic is cancer in a lockerroom.

He clears with that contract and hopefully he gets his spot back when Hamilton is revealed in regular Nhl games. I Think also that Lander is a better player then Acton and is going to be the first call up. Like many euros has Lander adapting problems.

ps. @Hemsky4PM Grabner was waived 3 times i think before he found his game and a fit with NyI !

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not happy.

I had no problem with the Jones signing, I thought at best he'd be our 3rd line RW after Hemsky was traded. I still don't get the Grebeshkov signing.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I just remembered that Reasoner was waived long ago...went down and came back up to have a long NHL career.

Jones could do that. He needs the kick in the ass though for sure.

Reasoner was a young former first round pick who needed to come to terms with the fact that if he wanted a career in the NHL, it would be as something other than an offensive player.

Jones is very limited player closing in on 30, who was already tailing off in effectiveness even before his injury.

Not really comparable situations.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

I think it was Parkatti on twitter who said that 1.5 on Jones and 1.5 on Grebs would look really nice on Grabovski right about now.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
One more Ryan down your next smyth. :laugh:

Yup, there's only enough room for 1 Ryan on this team...2 down, 1 to go (and count me as one of the Jonesy fan club members, really like the guy, but I think most of us could tell he didn't have it, at least in the pre-season, who knows if he could/might turn it around in the regular season, if he even gets another shot).

Still cant figure out how "the other Ryan" is playing 1st line minutes and PP time...I figured all the "you will compete hard" stuff applied to everyone, and even though it looks like the rest of the team has bought into that philosophy, Smytty looks like he didn't get the memo, it looks like he is semi-retired out there....time for him to be put out to pasture...there is absolutely NO way he should be on the top line, with Hall playing C, our top 2 LW's should be Perron and JJ.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think it was Parkatti on twitter who said that 1.5 on Jones and 1.5 on Grebs would look really nice on Grabovski right about now.

Grabovski wasn't going to play ahead of Gagner or RNH. Gordon is a better fit on the third line. In retrospect it would have looked good signing him if Edmonton knew they'd be without their top 2 centers for 20 games. Either way I think he made a great choice with Washington.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not happy.

Back on July 2nd MacT was talking to Clarkson. Jones wasn't signed until 7/8/13 after MacT made other moves and re-assessed the roster.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I find it difficult to praise MacT for waiving a contract he created a few months earlier, or congratulating Eakins for choosing a guy he brought in over Jones.

As bad as Jones was in the pre-season, Hamilton wasn't really better; maybe a bit, but there is some risk in waiving an NHL player for a guy who hasn't been in the NHL based on the pre-season.

this is my biggest beef with this move as well... hamilton was not any better and has no NHL experience... so instead of having a somewhat useless player with 5 years NHL experience in our bottom 6, we have a raw NHL-rookie who is somewhat useless in our bottom 6

i just don't see how this is an upgrade in any way whatsoever

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
this is my biggest beef with this move as well... hamilton was not any better and has no NHL experience... so instead of having a somewhat useless player with 5 years NHL experience in our bottom 6, we have a raw NHL-rookie who is somewhat useless in our bottom 6

i just don't see how this is an upgrade in any way whatsoever

Exactly, thank you. My feeling also.

Add to this Hamilton has looked worse than Jones out there so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad