Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was really pulling for him and thought he'd bounce back. Sucks but at least Eakins is picking the players he wants for this team. Maybe it's a mistake by him, maybe not, but Eakins is going to be the one to take the heat in the end, and at least this time he has his players.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m
Hearing EDM's Ryan Jones is going on waivers today...also told Oilers said his EDM/NHL career is not over if he works on his game

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Too bad. Seems like a really nice guy, but the eye injury and surgeries seem to have totally messed him up. Hopefully he can get it back.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
When you get outplayed (even marginally) by an AHLer like Hamilton then you know it's bad.

I like the guy, but this is the right move. Hope he finds a home somewhere and turns things around.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
The big takeaway from this is that finally we have a training camp that matters. Spots were up for grabs, it wasn't just lip service for once.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Needs a bit more hunger in his game. Probably thought his spot was a lock but did very little offensively since the injury. Hope he catches with another organization.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
He was playing so ineffectually that I wondered if he wanted to play for the big club this year.

Hopefully he sorts some things out, plays hard, and is a decent call up or trade option.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Jones has been placed on waivers. I have an inside source.

OilNAmerica called it late last night. :handclap:

Honestly feel for Jones. I hope he either finds his game in OKC or gets claimed and gets it going elsewhere. He's a good guy, just doesn't seem to know what he's doing out there. I was there when he scored a hattrick a couple years ago, the crowd loved Jonesy that night.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I posted a modified version of this in the main training camp thread and thought I would add it here as well.

I would like to ask people that now that the Jones on waivers rumours proved accurate to please keep things civil. Jones is a well liked player in the locker room and was a good warrior for the Oilers for years. Sure he got passed on the depth chart here recently, but that doesn't mean people should be celebrating for any other reason than it means Eakins is likely picking the best roster based on play, rather than who was here in previous years. I would be pleased that Eakins is making the right choices, but I would also hope Jones passes through waivers and makes it back up here at some point. He'd be a better injury replacement option for the bottom 6 than most the Oilers have.

Plenty of player that didn't expect it will be going on waivers this year because of the cap falling. Jones isn't be the first and he won't be the last.

And also, full thanks to OilNAmerica for the heads up. The source that poster told me about is a more direct one than any other I have been told of before. Also, due to the nature of that source, the poster may not be able to give inside info often, so please try not to harass him/her too much.

Last edited:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Hamilton at least has a little grit to his game

if Jones isn't scoring, then what's he doing? not agitating, not hitting...not doing anything

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "useful" because I don't actually think that Jones is good. I just think Hamilton has looked worse.

I'd play Eager over both of them anyway.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So does this mean that Klowe and Mact aren't running the show and that Eakins really didn't mind Smith and Bucky?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Was a nice player for us for a few years but I always thought that once his over achieving goal scoring dried up he was going to be in trouble. If he clears then at least we have better depth than in the past. (As in real nhl players being able to be called up.)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
First things first.

I am a huge Ryan Jones fan. When he was playing well I thought he was the perfect 3rd liner. A guy who could fill in the top 6 for energy or a change up and not feel bad cause he had the skill. A guy that fought hard every night and had a great impact on many games.

Whether its his eye or just lost a step I hope he can come back and restart his career here or anywhere else.

Best of luck Jonsey.

But with all the being said. He had a terrible camp. The only reason he wasn't cut before was because of his play 2 years ago.

I was originally thinking he should get to play the last preseason to prove but with the bodies we have still competing for those last few jobs I think it makes sense.

This sends a good message to players wanting to make the Oilers. Come prepared and fight for your spot.

I am very impressed with management.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Good sign the team/prospects are getting better, Jonesy is nice guy but not an NHLer any longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad