Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

LovableLinus*

If anyone is listening to Stauffer's show Scott Howson is on. For some reason he is not saying it is 100% certain that Jones is going to OKC. He has not been assigned there yet.

Maybe the lousy bum isn't good enough for OKC and is off to Edmonton's new ECHL affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors.

Good riddance.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
this is my biggest beef with this move as well... hamilton was not any better and has no NHL experience... so instead of having a somewhat useless player with 5 years NHL experience in our bottom 6, we have a raw NHL-rookie who is somewhat useless in our bottom 6

i just don't see how this is an upgrade in any way whatsoever

Hamilton may not be the greatest player ever... but it's a better fit.

1) Eakins as a rookie NHL coach is very comfortable with Hamilton and knows what he can bring
2) It's not like Hamilton is a 20 year old just coming out of juniors, he's been solid in the AHL for several years and should be consistent
3) He knows Eakins system
4) There's a good chance Hamilton is the 13/14th F... now I don't want to make assumptions, but I'm assuming Hamilton will be much happier in that roll then Jones
5) Eakins is trying to establish his philosophy on preparing for games... as a captain of the Marlies. I would bet he knows 100% what Eakins wants; he'd be a very good presence for Eakins to continue to instill his philosophy on the team.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'm just watching Eakins' latest comments on the Oilers website and he had this to say about Ryan Jones.

"He hasn't been cut; he's been reassigned to our minor league team to help get his game going again. I didn't think that Ryan had a horrible camp. This young man has missed a lot of hockey, he's coming off a... like that's a big time injury. I think it takes some time to get your game back; to get comfortable on the ice, and that's what he's going to do (in OKC). I fully expect Ryan Jones to play games for us this season."

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Meh, nothing wrong with not talking to the media.

If he's pissed, all they're going to get is either something he shouldn't say or some bogus cliches.

Exactly, take some time, buy some moments, and say something later if what you would say earlier is reactive. The guy is upset, everybody deals with that differently. Not too much to see here.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm just watching Eakins' latest comments on the Oilers website and he had this to say about Ryan Jones.

"He hasn't been cut; he's been reassigned to our minior league team to help get his game going again. I didn't think that Ryan had a horrible camp. This young man has missed a lot of hockey, he's coming off a... like that's a big time injury. I think it takes some time to get your game back; to get comfortable on the ice, and that's what he's going to do (in OKC). I fully expect Ryan Jones to play games for us this season."

Nice of Eakins to state this. Doesn't need to but its taking numbers, noticing reactions, and saying the right things. Good timely response. Words like that probably help a player. Not that it ever makes it OK, just that it'll ease the sting when Jones gets his head settled.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Edit: A swap of two cleared players makes the most sense to me. Or a player about to be cut by another team. The reason I say that is it would just be contract swapping (contract numbers being equal for both sides)

I was thinking of a swap of cleared players as well...

I'll throw out this scenario and use Toronto since Cobourne has a good chance of being waived. Maybe the Leafs are going to send Cobourne down but know he's going to be waived... so they conduct a trade with the Oilers as follows

Cobourne to Edmonton for Jones (retained 575k salary) + a late pick like a 4th/5th rounder

since 1) Oilers then get Cobourne if they plan to do a waiver claim (or whoever is being sent down, Cobourne is the example)

2) For the Leafs, they don't add any salary, the 575k NHL salary is retained by the Oilers (not sure what the CBA has about this), they pick up a late pick which they could use + they get Jones on the Marlies and can call him up if they need help later, on a much more reasonable contract.

-Actually Jones at the 925k salary, could get some interest from a lot of teams, since that is a reasonable salary for a 4th liner

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

"He hasn't been cut; he's been reassigned to our minor league team to help get his game going again. I didn't think that Ryan had a horrible camp. This young man has missed a lot of hockey, he's coming off a... like that's a big time injury. I think it takes some time to get your game back; to get comfortable on the ice, and that's what he's going to do (in OKC). I fully expect Ryan Jones to play games for us this season."

Good on him for saying that. It's gotta be tough on Jones right now.

Why would he hold any grudges? He didn't play well enough in camp/preseason to make the team. His demotion was decided by him and his lack of performance. He has nobody to be pissed at but himself.

Because he expected to be here. As I said earlier look at Eager when he first got sent down

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Good on him for saying that. It's gotta be tough on Jones right now.

Because he expected to be here. As I said earlier look at Eager when he first got sent down

I get the kind of vibe from Jonesy that he would be pissed at himself, but not so much the organization. He knows his game better than anyone, so he realizes he hasn't been doing his usual things lately. He's not getting in the corners as much, he's not throwing hits, and he's staying out of the scrums. All he was really doing in the pre season well was killing penalties. But to be honest, that's always been his best skill, I think he could probably kill a 5 on 4 in his sleep.

Billybaroo*

How so? He floated his way through the preseason because he thought he was a "lock". Sounds cocky and lazy to me

Where do you get that. That he thought e was a lock?Out of your ass?
And he really dint float. He just played piss poor.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Well, I totally disagree but you of course are entitled to your opinion.
And the lock part? You like a buddy of his?

Probably referring to a tweet by stauffer (i think) saying something along the lines of "two veteran players feel they are a lock for the team, but coaching staff thinks otherwise"

Jones was speculated as being one of them, N Schultz the other.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Where do you get that. That he thought e was a lock?Out of your ass?
And he really dint float. He just played piss poor.

If he threw a single hit in preseason I missed it. If he played many shifts with at least intensity on the forecheck I missed that.

The guy was tentative throughout. I kind of worried when he stated he was really off last year and having trouble due to the eye injury. I worried immediately if this was likely to change substantially. It hasn't to this point.

If you can denote one thing Jones was bringing last year or this TC I'll look at it.

The reality is half a dozen guys looking for bottomsix roles played better and some of them were sent down as well.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's somewhat surprising to me because Jones commented this summer that he knew he had to play more intensely and work harder.

The fact that he didn't really look good at all in camp tells me either he was just blowing smoke and took his spot for granted OR he really has regressed as a player and simply can't play up to the level he needs to be at to stick on the roster because of lack of confidence/inability to recover fully from his injury etc.

I like Jonesy but I think he really does need to take this demotion as an opportunity down in OKC to find his game again and see if he can get back to being the type of player that can be a good NHL utility forward that can be played on the 3rd/4th lines... like he did when he 1st came to the Oilers. We really haven't seen that Ryan Jones for a while.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's somewhat surprising to me because Jones commented this summer that he knew he had to play more intensely and work harder.

The fact that he didn't really look good at all in camp tells me either he was just blowing smoke and took his spot for granted OR he really has regressed as a player and simply can't play up to the level he needs to be at to stick on the roster because of lack of confidence/inability to recover fully from his injury etc.

I like Jonesy but I think he really does need to take this demotion as an opportunity down in OKC to find his game again and see if he can get back to being the type of player that can be a good NHL utility forward that can be played on the 3rd/4th lines... like he did when he 1st came to the Oilers. We really haven't seen that Ryan Jones for a while.

I think the eye injury is playing a major role here. Some players never recover from that type of injury.

Billybaroo*

Probably referring to a tweet by stauffer (i think) saying something along the lines of "two veteran players feel they are a lock for the team, but coaching staff thinks otherwise"

Jones was speculated as being one of them, N Schultz the other.

Oh god, it could be anyone . If true. Its not like Stauffer isnt prone to hyperbole in any event,

Billybaroo*

If he threw a single hit in preseason I missed it. If he played many shifts with at least intensity on the forecheck I missed that.

The guy was tentative throughout. I kind of worried when he stated he was really off last year and having trouble due to the eye injury. I worried immediately if this was likely to change substantially. It hasn't to this point.

If you can denote one thing Jones was bringing last year or this TC I'll look at it.

The reality is half a dozen guys looking for bottomsix roles played better and some of them were sent down as well.

Did I say he was. If you read closely I said the opposite.
I was taking issue that Jones "thought he was a lock". Thats typical of these boards. People pull stuff out of their ass and state it as fact. And in reality, they have zero clue.
And fwiw, I dont think he floated & was lazy, which is what said poster also said. I just think he was bad.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Jones needs to get his mojo back. I think that he'll manage to do that in OKC with the right attitude. Eakins was on the money with everything that he said.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did I say he was. If you read closely I said the opposite.
I was taking issue that Jones "thought he was a lock". Thats typical of these boards. People pull stuff out of their ass and state it as fact. And in reality, they have zero clue.
And fwiw, I dont think he floated & was lazy, which is what said poster also said. I just think he was bad.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't disagree at all ftr.

I do think there can be a fine line sometimes and a guy thinks he's doing enough and really isn't noting the better efforts around him.

In a race you know exactly where you place. There can be a lot of misinterpreting ones own performance in the complex game of hockey. I think what surprised Jones is how much more "nipping at heels" there is in Eakins words. He got lapped, by several players, but I think really didn't comprehend it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad