Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Why would he hold any grudges? He didn't play well enough in camp/preseason to make the team. His demotion was decided by him and his lack of performance. He has nobody to be pissed at but himself.

Let's not pretend grudges are always justified.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I hope he stays there. I was extremely unhappy because MacTboneHead decided to resign him. I think he will never be a nhl regular again

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It's somewhat surprising to me because Jones commented this summer that he knew he had to play more intensely and work harder.

The fact that he didn't really look good at all in camp tells me either he was just blowing smoke and took his spot for granted OR he really has regressed as a player and simply can't play up to the level he needs to be at to stick on the roster because of lack of confidence/inability to recover fully from his injury etc.

I like Jonesy but I think he really does need to take this demotion as an opportunity down in OKC to find his game again and see if he can get back to being the type of player that can be a good NHL utility forward that can be played on the 3rd/4th lines... like he did when he 1st came to the Oilers. We really haven't seen that Ryan Jones for a while.

This, exactly. The Calgary game he had some flashes but otherwise nothing.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
On the positive note, if he goes down and does play better, the Oilers for once will have some solid depth both at forward and at D (Omark, Jones, Lander, Pitlick, Grebeskov, Klefbom, Marincin, Fedun)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Because he expected to be here. As I said earlier look at Eager when he first got sent down

Let's not pretend grudges are always justified.

His reasons (and Eager's) for being demoted were poor play. That's 100% on the player. If either of those players hold a grudge because they were sent out of the NHL because they weren't playing NHL calibre hockey, then that's a flaw in THEIR character, not a reflection of a bad organization. And if they're holding any grudges for that reason, then they're players no team should want. And based on the calibre of hockey the team would be getting with them on the roster, neither would've been missed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
From an article I just read, it sounds like Jones is going down to OKC with the right attitude. I believe he figured he had the team made when he signed that deal, and got a huge wakeup call. Hopefully he gets his game back to where it was and can come back for the Oilers or another team. Personally I like the guy and am pulling for him.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Did I say he was. If you read closely I said the opposite.
I was taking issue that Jones "thought he was a lock". Thats typical of these boards. People pull stuff out of their ass and state it as fact. And in reality, they have zero clue.
And fwiw, I dont think he floated & was lazy, which is what said poster also said. I just think he was bad.
I dont post often but when I do I don't pull **** out my ass.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
His reasons (and Eager's) for being demoted were poor play. That's 100% on the player. If either of those players hold a grudge because they were sent out of the NHL because they weren't playing NHL calibre hockey, then that's a flaw in THEIR character, not a reflection of a bad organization. And if they're holding any grudges for that reason, then they're players no team should want. And based on the calibre of hockey the team would be getting with them on the roster, neither would've been missed.

I agree 100% with you. I'm just saying that in a situation like this, it's not out of the question that there might be some hurt feelings. Whether warranted or not, it's best for both parties moving forward if there is still a positive relationship.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
With news that Ryan Whitney was release from his PTO agreement... it's amazing (and quite a wake up call about the quality of the team) how many guys who get flushed from the Oilers never see the NHL again. I mean I have to admit, I seriously thought there was a very good chance someone grabbed Jones off waivers, but nope.

The 4th line of this team has to be the easiest place to make the NHL still, bar none.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Don't be ridiculous. When was the last time a 4th liner for the Oilers scored 10 goals??? I looked into it...Kyle Brodziak had 11 goals in 2008-2009. Laraque had an 82 games played, 13 goal season in 2000-2001 (probably the year he had a hat-trick against LA).

So...try to be realistic. If a guy who plays 55 games, 8 minutes a game, 4 goals would be about right. Ryan Hamilton...will not score 10 goals. We should be giddy if Joensuu gets 10 goals playing 12 minutes a night.

Right now, to start the season:

Perron-Hall-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Acton-Brown
Eager

:lol: Well isn't this good for a laugh. I must have slagged a man crush of yours once too often.:dunno: There is a very good chance Hamilton sees a good share of minutes. Who do you think is going to spell captain limp wrist on LW? Would you suggest Smacker33 as a good option? Come on man. Smyth has been red lining it all camp. I give him a handful of games till he goes super nova. :shakehead:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes, he was officially assigned a day or two after he cleared waivers.

I don't think he ever was. He was placed on waivers Wednesday and then Howson talked about it on Thursday about how they didn't send him down yet.

Maybe I missed something, but I never say a tweet or anything saying he was assigned just yet. I kinda thought he's in limbo waiting to see if there is a potential swap with another teams waiver fodder.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I don't think he ever was. He was placed on waivers Wednesday and then Howson talked about it on Thursday about how they didn't send him down yet.

Maybe I missed something, but I never say a tweet or anything saying he was assigned just yet. I kinda thought he's in limbo waiting to see if there is a potential swap with another teams waiver fodder.

Yeah you missed the tweet than, the Oilers tweeted he was officially sent down.

I bet he gets called back up though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
According to a few places, while Jones was assigned to OK city, he actually never left Edmonton-- not sure if it is true or not. But interesting fact if it is true considering the main team was in OKCITY last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->