Waived: Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Geez, it seems like some of you would be content with someone murdering Smyth and leaving him on the side of the interstate while the club is in OKC this week.

Smyth has never been speedy or flashy, and he isn't that now. He is what he is, and I hope he has a hell of a season so he can shove it the throat of the naysayers.

Also, Jones will be back in Edmonton at some point this season. Book it.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm getting the feeling that Jones is going to get traded for a guy with a similar cap hit that provides a more physical presence. I'm thinking of a guy like Travis Moen for example.

No Good Names Left

Jan 30, 2007
if he asked for a trade, anyone know what our contract number is at? I am assuming thats why teams didn't just take him for free on waivers. I am assuming most teams have to be around 47/48 contracts.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I'm getting the feeling that Jones is going to get traded for a guy with a similar cap hit that provides a more physical presence. I'm thinking of a guy like Travis Moen for example.

i wish. I would be esctatic! Moen was one of my favorite grinders, guy with edge and some decent skill. Injured last year i believe but still a solid player.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
With all the speculation, I still would not be surprised if Jones plays more games for the Oilers this year than guys like Hamilton, Acton, or Eager.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah. That's what I hear as well. However MacT said he wanted more meat in the lineup and that the waiver period was a way to target that issue.

If we are trading Jones for something... it will be for someone else's problems.

Very true. I'd just hate to see us deal Jones for a guy with a longer contract/dressing room issues/etc (not saying that in regards to any particular player)

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
I didn't have a problem with re-signing Jones this summer, and I'm happy that the Oilers management have the balls to put him on waivers when he's clearly been sub-par.

Egg. Zactly.

After the eye injury and the shortened season, he was worth a bet. Bet failed. Move on. If you're afraid of being wrong, you'll never do anything right as a GM.

Remember, there's no re-entry waivers now. So if he gets his game back on track, he's ours.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Egg. Zactly.

After the eye injury and the shortened season, he was worth a bet. Bet failed. Move on. If you're afraid of being wrong, you'll never do anything right as a GM.

Ya, it's been nice seeing MacT take some of those gambles. Grebeshkov and Jones haven't really panned out, but Belov, Joensuu, and Larsen all look pretty good

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Ya, it's been nice seeing MacT take some of those gambles. Grebeshkov and Jones haven't really panned out, but Belov, Joensuu, and Larsen all look pretty good

Acton and Hamilton have been impressive as well.

As 4th line guys, no higher. Just want to make sure I state that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think trading Jones for another 4th liner is kind of farfetched.

Jones isn't particularly good right now and he isn't cheap.

I don't see how teams wouldn't have a better option on their team or off waivers.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
I feel bad for the guy. The Oilers are going to OKC to play and he gets to sit I the stands with a Barons hat on and watch the game. It's like having to watch your new x-wife marry someone the next day.

stratedge

Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
How will Jones do in the AHL? It seems like he could be a 30 goal guy if he's working hard, but Nelson doesn't have a lot of patience for laziness regardless of your reputation.

What he really needs to do is start hitting again. That's the biggest change in Jones in the pre-season relative to when he was a very useful bottom 6-er two years ago. He just became bad at hitting. Hit people and the break aways will come.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What he really needs to do is start hitting again. That's the biggest change in Jones in the pre-season relative to when he was a very useful bottom 6-er two years ago. He just became bad at hitting. Hit people and the break aways will come.

Agreed. He doesn't have to be laying any massive hits, but he's got to be much harder on the forecheck. Finishing every hit on the D, and battling in the corners will get him a callup sooner than scoring imo

Very true. I was skeptical he'd be better than Tambo, but I'm impressed

stratedge

Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

I still think as 4th liners go they're about as poor of options as you'll find in the NHL. We'll see. Right now I think their contributions could be recorded on this piece of paper:

sosmall_5gfc8abbum.gif

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The problem with waivers is that teams don't want to add a contract or take on cap space even if they interested in the player. They would rather make a trade to either swap contracts or try to even out the cap hit on both sides.

Take the Brian McGrattan deal last year to the Flames. McGrattan went on waivers and didn't get claimed. A few days later he got traded from Nashville to Calgary for Joe Piskula.

Players on waivers aren't free. They cost a contract and roster spot as well as money. These are factors that matters to all NHL teams. People always forget that.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The problem with waivers is that teams don't want to add a contract or take on cap space even if they interested in the player. They would rather make a trade to either swap contracts or try to even out the cap hit on both sides.

Take the Brian McGrattan deal last year to the Flames. McGrattan went on waivers and didn't get claimed. A few days later he got traded from Nashville to Calgary for Joe Piskula.

Players on waivers aren't free. They cost a contract and roster spot as well as money. These are factors that matters to all NHL teams. People always forget that.

This is often forgotten. It cost up to $90 thousand I believe. When talking about fringe NHLers, that's a big chunk of their salary you're adding on top of what you have to pay them

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is often forgotten. It cost up to $90 thousand I believe. When talking about fringe NHLers, that's a big chunk of their salary you're adding on top of what you have to pay them

If that seriously becomes an issue when picking some then the team should fold. Charles Wang is as cheap as they come and he had no problem paying that premium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad