Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Well, since they don't remotely have the cap room to do it, sounds like a possibility. :shakehead

And even if they did have the cap room, Columbus has more cap room so matching wouldn't be a problem.

The whole logic of saying trade him to us or we'll give him an offer sheet is laughable. And the offer sheet he suggests is 6/40 for a 6.67 cap hit. While more than I'd prefer to pay at the moment, its nothing near the level of the Shea Weber offer sheet. Hardly much of a threat.

Crazy talk I tell you.

Additionally, the Flyers do not have their own 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2015 so they couldn't do it if they tried.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I really hope this negotiation does not go on too much longer, reading the Free Agent/Trade board on the Main is giving me major agita.

dagna

Jul 2, 2011
Fan from the leafs coming in peace, just curious to see what CBJ fans feel is fair and reasonable value for Johansen. Also please note, I am not here saying he'll be traded, I completely understand that it's almost definitely unlikely he gets moved and that it's honestly a bit too early to even think there would be a remote chance he would. This is just to gauge value from your side.

I personally feel something along the lines JVR + Kadri for Johansen + would be something that might be appealing potentially, though I'm not sure (nor am I sure what the plus would be if anything, possibly prospects). I would think Columbus is looking to ONLY get players that make an immediate impact and can step in now to help the team win, so prospects / picks coming from the leafs make no sense at all. Also this would be coming ONLY if a deal seems unlikely with Johansen and if there is too much of a rift months later and the team decides they're better off dealing him off at that point.

I'd just like to get your fans' opinions as clearly a large majority of leafs' fans don't seem to understand the value of a potential 1C that is very young and no where near his ceiling still.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Fan from the leafs coming in peace, just curious to see what CBJ fans feel is fair and reasonable value for Johansen. Also please note, I am not here saying he'll be traded, I completely understand that it's almost definitely unlikely he gets moved and that it's honestly a bit too early to even think there would be a remote chance he would. This is just to gauge value from your side.

I personally feel something along the lines JVR + Kadri for Johansen + would be something that might be appealing potentially, though I'm not sure (nor am I sure what the plus would be if anything, possibly prospects). I would think Columbus is looking to ONLY get players that make an immediate impact and can step in now to help the team win, so prospects / picks coming from the leafs make no sense at all. Also this would be coming ONLY if a deal seems unlikely with Johansen and if there is too much of a rift months later and the team decides they're better off dealing him off at that point.

I'd just like to get your fans' opinions as clearly a large majority of leafs' fans don't seem to understand the value of a potential 1C that is very young and no where near his ceiling still.

He's not a potential 1C. He's a 1C with elite potential. Even if we came to a contract impasse with Johansen and had to move him I'm sure we'd get better offers than JVR + Kadri. Good players but we'll do better than that.

dagna

Jul 2, 2011
He's not a potential 1C. He's a 1C with elite potential. Even if we came to a contract impasse with Johansen and had to move him I'm sure we'd get better offers than JVR + Kadri. Good players but we'll do better than that.

I guess so, it'd take another season to confidently say that though I would think, though I understand. I was trying to compare the value to that of what Boston got for Seguin and just felt it seemed on the right ball park. Thank you though for the response.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

I've seen you in the thread on the mains, and good God is it refreshing to see a reasonable Leafs fan. I know not everyone in your fan base is as crazy as the last, but man does it ever feel like it.

As I've said on the mains, we could come to a "fair" deal on paper. But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and I think we'd all just rather gamble on Joey being the player we all hope him to be. We don't want a fair deal, we'd want overkill because of how rare the Johansen breed is. I love JVR, but he's not the main piece I would want in a Johansen deal, Kadri aside (and honestly I despise Kadri. Don't want him anywhere near this team despite his skill, no offense. He's very skilled but he doesn't fit this team at all).

Just don't see a deal to be done with Toronto in this hypothetical. I appreciate you though, you actually can articulate yourself well and not make yourself look like a fool, which is pretty rare I must say.

dagna

Jul 2, 2011
I've seen you in the thread on the mains, and good God is it refreshing to see a reasonable Leafs fan. I know not everyone in your fan base is as crazy as the last, but man does it ever feel like it.

As I've said on the mains, we could come to a "fair" deal on paper. But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and I think we'd all just rather gamble on Joey being the player we all hope him to be. We don't want a fair deal, we'd want overkill because of how rare the Johansen breed is. I love JVR, but he's not the main piece I would want in a Johansen deal, Kadri aside (and honestly I despise Kadri. Don't want him anywhere near this team despite his skill, no offense. He's very skilled but he doesn't fit this team at all).

Just don't see a deal to be done with Toronto in this hypothetical. I appreciate you though, you actually can articulate yourself well and not make yourself look like a fool, which is pretty rare I must say.

Thank you, really appreciate it. I've been a lurker for a long time, but never used to bother posting because of how pathetic most proposals tend to be and how my fanbase has been coming up with further ways to make us look worse. Also being a Leafs fan, we're plagued with a history of trading away young players for veterans and seem to refuse to rebuild properly ever so I'm stuck having to watch a middle of the pack team put on the ice regularly.

I would ultimately be glad if Johansen just gets resigned and eliminates any more speculation. I really would love to see what people have to say next season when he shows progression from this past season and has the naysayers silent. I personally feel that as great as a bridge deal seems, locking him up long term with a lower cap hit would be a better option. That more risky approach has really paid off for a number of teams and I honestly don't feel like he'll really regress. It'd be great to see Columbus progress and move to the next level, definitely a team I enjoy watching.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Ryan Johansen is a flat out stud and is going to be a premier superstar in this league for yrs to come. With that being said the Boston Bruins offer is.

David Krejci
Ryan Spooner
Alexander Khokhlachev
Chris Kelly

For

Sonny Milano
Ryan Johansen
2015 2nd rnd pick

Looks like a pretty fair deal. Big time Johansen fan, I think he's going to be a top 5 player in the league within a few yrs.

The Jackets get a top center in Krejci and the Bruins best two prospects who are NHL ready, along with Kelly a premier 3rd center.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ryan Johansen is a flat out stud and is going to be a premier superstar in this league for yrs to come. With that being said the Boston Bruins offer is.

David Krejci
Ryan Spooner
Alexander Khokhlachev
Chris Kelly

For

Sonny Milano
Ryan Johansen
2015 2nd rnd pick

Looks like a pretty fair deal. Big time Johansen fan, I think he's going to be a top 5 player in the league within a few yrs.

The Jackets get a top center in Krejci and the Bruins best two prospects who are NHL ready, along with Kelly a premier 3rd center.

Bruins shed salary without getting worse, I see it from their perspective but nothing to make Columbus do it

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

David Krejci
Ryan Spooner
Alexander Khokhlachev
Chris Kelly

For

Sonny Milano
Ryan Johansen
2015 2nd rnd pick

lmao.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Bruins shed salary without getting worse, I see it from their perspective but nothing to make Columbus do it

Sure they'll end up shredding some salary but by the time they end up signing Johansen it'' probably be around 3 mil or less.

nothing to make Columbus do it
Really:shakehead

A proven two way center who's led the league in playoff scoring twice a top notch defensive center and one of the leagues best penalty killers and leaders.

Two top notch prospects who are NHL ready in Spooner and Koko.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Sure they'll end up shredding some salary but by the time they end up signing Johansen it'' probably be around 3 mil or less.

nothing to make Columbus do it
Really:shakehead

A proven two way center who's led the league in playoff scoring twice a top notch defensive center and one of the leagues best penalty killers and leaders.

Two top notch prospects who are NHL ready in Spooner and Koko.

2 top notch undersized prospects that would be competing with Rychel, Wennberg, Dano among others to crack a balanced roster. Columbus is a young team with lots of prospects who wouldn't want more unless they are elite prospects.

Kelly is a cap dump who wouldn't even be our 4th center. He hasn't been good lately and gets injured way too much. that contract is terrible.

As for Krejci... Yeah he's a more rounded player today but he's also 6 years older. Also he is more of a playmaker while Johansen is a scorer with playmaking ability. I don't think you'll see a team that scores by committee trade its only 30 goal scorer

Edit: this doesn't even factor in losing Milano. He has the potential to add something we don't have anywhere else in the lineup or prospect pool, I think it's worth waiting to see how he turns out

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
2 top notch undersized prospects that would be competing with Rychel, Wennberg, Dano among others to crack a balanced roster. Columbus is a young team with lots of prospects who wouldn't want more unless they are elite prospects.

Kelly is a cap dump who wouldn't even be our 4th center. He hasn't been good lately and gets injured way too much. that contract is terrible.

As for Krejci... Yeah he's a more rounded player today but he's also 6 years older. Also he is more of a playmaker while Johansen is a scorer with playmaking ability. I don't think you'll see a team that scores by committee trade its only 30 goal scorer

Edit: this doesn't even factor in losing Milano. He has the potential to add something we don't have anywhere else in the lineup or prospect pool, I think it's worth waiting to see how he turns out

Fair enough, but I have to disagree on Kelly he's not over paid he has a 3 mil dollar cap hit ( espcially after this yrs FA period) and he has been the bruins 3rd line center the last 4yrs, but isn't good enough to be in the jackets top 4???

Spooner is going to be a legitimate NHL player think cliff Ronning type, and Koko is a fearless puck pursuer with skills and goal scoring talent. I do like your prospects but neither are as ready as these two and for a team that wants to score by committee, whats a better way but to add more depth?

I do understand why you don't want to deal Johansen and I don't blame you he's going to be a superstar, MVP caliber type player no doubt in my mind.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

David Krejci
Ryan Spooner
Alexander Khokhlachev
Chris Kelly

For

Sonny Milano
Ryan Johansen
2015 2nd rnd pick

This is a hilariously bad offer

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
This is a hilariously bad offer

Your way to much of a Homer.;)

Wait until the end of 2014 and see if you feel the same. This deal is pretty fair but like I said I wouldn't want to deal Johansen neither if I didn't have to.

Curious what would your offer to the Bruins be for Johansen? That is of course if you had to move him ecause the two sides were to far apart.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Fair enough, but I have to disagree on Kelly he's not over paid he has a 3 mil dollar cap hit ( espcially after this yrs FA period) and he has been the bruins 3rd line center the last 4yrs, but isn't good enough to be in the jackets top 4???.

He's right. Kelly isn't better than Johansen, Anisimov, Dubinsky, or Letestu, which is what we have down the middle.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fair enough, but I have to disagree on Kelly he's not over paid he has a 3 mil dollar cap hit ( espcially after this yrs FA period) and he has been the bruins 3rd line center the last 4yrs, but isn't good enough to be in the jackets top 4???

Spooner is going to be a legitimate NHL player think cliff Ronning type, and Koko is a fearless puck pursuer with skills and goal scoring talent. I do like your prospects but neither are as ready as these two and for a team that wants to score by committee, whats a better way but to add more depth?

I do understand why you don't want to deal Johansen and I don't blame you he's going to be a superstar, MVP caliber type player no doubt in my mind.

Soderberg was the 3rd line center last year

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

You're in serious salesman mode on the guys you're offering. I might ask you why you would offer such quality players. Think about what your answer would be. That answer us why CBJ fans don't like the deal.

And you might think it's reasonable to ask what CBJ fans think is fair return, you know, "if you had to trade him." Except the team doesn't, and fans don't believe things have gotten to a point where it's even worth considering. So tou're going to get setious overpayments. Thus, the exercise is bound to leave both sides unsatisfied. It's honestly not a conversation worth having right now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Ignoring the deal itself, my major concern is Krejci is a UFA in one year.

And even if he was signed Krejci has nowhere to go but down, while Johansen nowhere but up. The Bruins would have to add hugely. Swapping for prospects that are more ready doesn't matter to the Jackets because they don't have immediate needs. And barring a miraculous return to five years ago Kelly wouldn't make the Jackets roster. The offer isn't halfway there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad