Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Interesting....of those 10, the only ones I could see even attempting an offer sheet would be Calgary, Carolina, and Nashville.
Arizona - wouldn't do it for obvious reasons.
Colorado - wouldn't want to upset their chemistry, IMO.
Minnesota? - surprised to see them on the list with the $$$ they've been throwing around to Parise, Suter, Pominville, Vanek, etc.....
Montreal - I just don't see them making a bold move, but they did surprise us by getting Vanek, so....
New Jersey - Lou learned his lesson with Kovalchuk and big contracts.
San Jose - has other things to worry about.
Winnipeg - just no.......

jiminygillickrs

Nov 27, 2010
I doubt he gets offersheet'd.

More than likely he eventually resigns with you guys. Alternatively, a team trades for his rights.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Interesting....of those 10, the only ones I could see even attempting an offer sheet would be Calgary, Carolina, and Nashville.
Arizona - wouldn't do it for obvious reasons.
Colorado - wouldn't want to upset their chemistry, IMO.
Minnesota? - surprised to see them on the list with the $$$ they've been throwing around to Parise, Suter, Pominville, Vanek, etc.....
Montreal - I just don't see them making a bold move, but they did surprise us by getting Vanek, so....
New Jersey - Lou learned his lesson with Kovalchuk and big contracts.
San Jose - has other things to worry about.
Winnipeg - just no.......

This article is some of Portzline's better work.

The takeaway I got from it was that I'm 99% sure Johansen won't be offersheeted. Very few teams have the picks/salary room/desire required to offersheet him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
agreed Sam...if he does, teams will have to make room elsewhere to fit him in...we're in good shape there...just getting the term done...

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I will be shocked if he is offer sheeted. Of course, never hurts to give him a decent deal (even though as portzline says, the jackets will match) just to hamstring the team a little more, maybe we couldn't make as big a splash as Jarmo would want at the deadline? Say, something in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 years at 5.25? That would likely throw a wrench in the long term season plans for the CBJ. Might even lead to a missed opportunity at the playoffs?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I will be shocked if he is offer sheeted. Of course, never hurts to give him a decent deal (even though as portzline says, the jackets will match) just to hamstring the team a little more, maybe we couldn't make as big a splash as Jarmo would want at the deadline? Say, something in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 years at 5.25? That would likely throw a wrench in the long term season plans for the CBJ. Might even lead to a missed opportunity at the playoffs?

5.25 is very doable. Jackets actually could absorb 7 or so both this year(not that I see that as likely) and long term without straining the cap imo. If he goes for a bridge and continues to produce i see 7 as his minimum next deal

knowthejacketswell

Nov 18, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
What if Jarmo called up a favor from another GM. "Hey offer sheet this kid to such and such so we can speed up this process."

That bit of collusion just opens a can of worms. When could we get it to stop. GM's doing favors for the other conference, but worrying about others interfering with theirs. Colossal failure. We couldn't do that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have seen July 5 is the deadline for offer sheets to be presented. is this true? if so we're only 2 days away from knowing what happens.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I have seen July 5 is the deadline for offer sheets to be presented. is this true? if so we're only 2 days away from knowing what happens.

I don't think there's any sort of timeline. Could happen in November.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think there's any sort of timeline. Could happen in November.

Yeah, I don't think there is a deadline for a guy in Joey's situation. If a club decides to take a player to arbitration that's when the July 5 deadline kicks in. I'm still trying to find a definitive answer but I think you are right.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
That bit of collusion just opens a can of worms. When could we get it to stop. GM's doing favors for the other conference, but worrying about others interfering with theirs. Colossal failure. We couldn't do that.

Yeah I know. I'm just ready for this to be all over. I'm expecting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, only to find out it's a train.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
What if Jarmo called up a favor from another GM. "Hey offer sheet this kid to such and such so we can speed up this process."

Not sure how it could be done as a favor? If Jarmo offers a contract and Ryan says "No", then not sure that another GM offering same contract would get Ryan to say "yes" because Ryan would know that Jarmo would match.

Alternatively, if Ryan said I want X dollars for Y years and Jarmo said "No". How would it be a favor if another GM says "yes" and forces Jarmo to match at a higher amount than he wanted too?

Finally, would another GM even waste his time offering a middle of the road contract (one that brings Ryan down to a reasonable number) if that GM knows Jarmo would match. And if this new middle of the road contract is Jarmo's compromise, why not offer it himself. Really would look bad if Jarmo has to have another GM do his negotiating.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This article is some of Portzline's better work.

The takeaway I got from it was that I'm 99% sure Johansen won't be offersheeted. Very few teams have the picks/salary room/desire required to offersheet him.

Agree 100%. Good work by Porty, although it actually goes deeper when you consider a long term deal(beyond 5 years) further impacts the compensation. The AAV would be calculated by the total contract value divided by #years or 5 - whichever is lower ($42MM for 7 years is actually not $6MM for compensation evaluation but $8.4MM so 4 1st round picks).

Also, Joey would have to actually be interested in the teams that may be in position to offer him a contract. There are a few on that list I would question - unless he truly is only driven by money. Very unlikely anything happens via offer sheet but more likely very little chance he leaves CBJ

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
When it comes to matching an offer sheet, what has to be matched? Is it total contract value, term, or both? Specifically, if another team offered a four-year term, could the CBJ offer a longer contract at the same annual value (which means higher total contract value)?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
When it comes to matching an offer sheet, what has to be matched? Is it total contract value, term, or both? Specifically, if another team offered a four-year term, could the CBJ offer a longer contract at the same annual value (which means higher total contract value)?

I believe they have to match the terms exactly. In fact, they just accept the entire deal, as written.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Then we could probably go ahead and start looking ahead to the 2016 draft, since anything resembling collusion (which this absolutely would be) would be swiftly and decisively punished by the league.

An offer sheet is a bona fide contract offer that has been signed by the player. So for the player's original team to match it, they're taking everything: term, salary, bonuses, and the overall breakdown.

If you remember the NFL a few years ago, there were teams poaching each others' RFAs by inserting poison pill clauses in the offer sheet. It basically stipulated X number of years, X amount of salary, X signing bonus....then X (massive) bonus if the player played X number of games in the state that hosts the team that originally held the player's rights. Steve Hutchinson went from Seattle to Minnesota with no compensation because Minnesota had two provisions:
1) Hutchinson would get a huge bonus if he played more than X number of games in the state of Washington in a given year, and
2) Hutchinson's entire contract would be guaranteed if he wasn't the highest-paid lineman on his team. Minnesota had no such competition, while Seattle had Walter Jones coming up on free agency

Seattle then got back at Minnesota by signing Nate Burleson using a similar mechanism, with no compensation due because of a double poison pill. After that, the NFL very quickly banned that chicanery.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Then we could probably go ahead and start looking ahead to the 2016 draft, since anything resembling collusion (which this absolutely would be) would be swiftly and decisively punished by the league.

An offer sheet is a bona fide contract offer that has been signed by the player. So for the player's original team to match it, they're taking everything: term, salary, bonuses, and the overall breakdown.

If you remember the NFL a few years ago, there were teams poaching each others' RFAs by inserting poison pill clauses in the offer sheet. It basically stipulated X number of years, X amount of salary, X signing bonus....then X (massive) bonus if the player played X number of games in the state that hosts the team that originally held the player's rights. Steve Hutchinson went from Seattle to Minnesota with no compensation because Minnesota had two provisions:
1) Hutchinson would get a huge bonus if he played more than X number of games in the state of Washington in a given year, and
2) Hutchinson's entire contract would be guaranteed if he wasn't the highest-paid lineman on his team. Minnesota had no such competition, while Seattle had Walter Jones coming up on free agency

Seattle then got back at Minnesota by signing Nate Burleson using a similar mechanism, with no compensation due because of a double poison pill. After that, the NFL very quickly banned that chicanery.

We could also look at the Shea weber contract with the instant 13 mil bonus the first four years and 8 mil two years after that each.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
We could also look at the Shea weber contract with the instant 13 mil bonus the first four years and 8 mil two years after that each.

At least in the case of a massive signing bonus, it's still a legitimate tactic (albeit a dirty one in that case). Teams can use signing bonuses or adjusted salary scales all the time, and they do.

In the case of the Fedorov offer sheet from Carolina, which had a $26 million bonus if the team made the conference finals (Carolina obviously wasn't going to, Detroit most likely was), it was still merit-based.

The NFL ones I mentioned were just garbage.

The part about the Weber one that cracks me up was that Philly very carefully structured the salary to drive the compensation down, but they seemed unaware that the divisor of 5 is used on offer sheets longer than five years. So it still would have been four 1st-rounders. If the NHL really wanted to get rid of some of this crap, they'd make it so that the cap hit would have been the same as well...imagine Philly carrying a $22 million cap hit on Weber alone.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad