Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I don't think Joey has an attitude problem. He has an entitlement problem.

“I’ve earned more than a two- or three-year deal with my play,” Johansen said. “It seems a little disrespectful, to be honest.
“I want to play in Columbus, and I want to be a Blue Jacket, but I want to get this done. It seems like a slap in the face.”

I don't have anything ground breaking to add. I do believe a young man that is good/great at what he does, must prove himself for more than one season to be making public statements such as what is quoted.

I don't disagree with a bridge contract to give Joey some incentive to continue to work hard and be rewarded. He will get paid, but to bring it to print, coming off sounding like a prima donna doesn't do a lot for him in the public eye.

Many say that he has earned the big contract, I say let him keep working toward that deal. If he thinks he's already entitled to it, then he doesn't have the character to be here for the next ten years.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Not the first time johansen has come off overly entitled (calling the bridge offer disrespectful and a slap in the face)… he has an attitude problem that people ignored because he was putting up 30 goals in a contract year. By practically demanding a contract until his RFA years end, he has made his intentions clear enough. Maybe he changes his mind during the next 4 years and falls in love with ohio, maybe not.

If a good trade comes along I'd take it based on his attitude … not some dinky offer of a 1st and mediocre prospect + clarke macarthur… but a trade for a comparable player signed long term. someone (skill-wise) like ROR, pavelski, mackinnon, RNH, or a LW like JVR, Benn - someone who can fill the offensive gap while also under 30 and signed 4+ years. Otherwise he can see if davidson will let him cry his way out like turris (doubt it) … or he can just play his RFA years for CBJ.

In the mean time, maybe dubie and JJ can break him down and re-build him as a young man who is not full of himself….

Here's what I said a couple months ago as it pertained to Bobby Ryan.

The great Connie Mack had a very specific set of criteria for every player that he signed, keeping in mind that a baseball manager of his day would be expected to do his own signings, scouting, trading, re-signing, and every other duty expected of a GM today.

If a player that he was looking at didn't meet his criteria, then Mack wanted nothing to do with him. He wanted players who were respectful and respectable, yet picked up Ty Cobb at the end of his career. He wanted educated players, yet signed Jimmie Foxx (a high school dropout) and Rube Waddell (who didn't earn his nickname ironically). He wanted even-tempered players, yet signed the explosive Lefty Grove (who smashed up more than one clubhouse after a poor outing). On the mound, he wanted power pitchers exclusively, yet signed Eddie Rommel (junkballer) and Eddie Plank (the Jamie Moyer of his day).

Mack was willing to bend a bit on players who could be All-Stars. Anyone filling any type of depth role would get no such leeway.

The toughest thing to find in the NHL today is a big center with excellent two-way skill. Look at Jonathan Toews, who's hit 30 goals twice and 70 points once, and is going into the last year of a contract that will have netted him over $30 million. There are whispers that he's looking for a max contract, which has never been done in the NHL. And he's hit 30 goals twice and 70 points once.

I'm not saying that Johansen is Jonathan Toews, but it speaks to the scarcity of top-level two-way centers when someone like that can command a salary that, although unlikely to actually be max, is going to be among the ten highest in the NHL.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
That is the way almost every negotation goes in every sport. We just don't hear about it, because most players are smart enough to not do what Johansen did. They let their agent to the negotiating and the talking. 1, because they know what they are doing. 2, because that is what they pay them for.

Yep.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I'll admit that I'm a fairly new hockey fan, so I'm not sure about the entitled stuff as prior to the recent article/quotes, (and Springfield which I really think he learned from and has moved past), as I can't remember hearing anything that seems that way. If you know where I could read/see that, I'd love to be able to. From the interviews I've seen and from what people who've met him have said, he's seems like a good guy. Watching some of the interviews in the locker room, it definitely seems like his teammates like him.

Also, not trying to argue with you, but I do not remember anywhere that he said he wanted a four-year deal. He said he didn't want a bridge, but nothing about 4 years. Portzline said he wanted "at least a four year deal," not Johansen. I also have trouble believing that he actually wants to leave, unless things are worse behind the scenes than fans are aware of. If you watch the video of him being drafted, in his interview, they discuss how he actually told the interviewer the night before that he wanted to go to Columbus, so I'm really not sure about him wanting out, but that's just the impression I get; could easily be wrong.

And if I am wrong, I love your last line and would be ecstatic to see it happen.

Johansen had trouble getting ice time from the coaches over the past few years and seemed to sulk over it, before last year. My impression from watching him play in the bottom 6 / on the wing was that he sandbagged or sulked over it. Not terribly, but enough to see it. Worse was that he got benched in the AHL the year before last for lack of effort in the playoffs. That was after he got sent down to earn his way back up.

I didn't mean to suggest that he said he wanted a 4 year deal, only that Portzline's reporting clearly hinted at it: "Johansen, 21, who led the Blue Jackets and was 11th in the NHL with 33 goals last season, wants at least a four-year deal, sources said, after which he would become an unrestricted free agent." If johansen wanted a 7 year deal wouldn't Portzline write that a little bit differently? Johansen also used some pretty strong language in his criticism of the negotiations. Maybe its just posturing … who knows (I'm not disagreeing with you that it's possible he wants to stay), but I'm souring a little on his attitude, now that he is demanding the world after the last 3 years.

Mayor Bee "The toughest thing to find in the NHL today is a big center with excellent two-way skill. Look at Jonathan Toews, who's hit 30 goals twice and 70 points once, and is going into the last year of a contract that will have netted him over $30 million" -- true, but Toews was an NHL captain at the same age johansen was getting benched in the minors.

Nicky1992

Jun 29, 2014
That makes sense, I really didn't start watching pro hockey until the very end of last season, when I saw him shutting down other teams pretty well, but still didn't pay too much attention, so I didn't realize what was going on. The AHL incident is definitely a large black mark, but I really hope he moved past that this year. The attitude with the quotes is a concern for me too, but fingers crossed its more his agent than him.

Sorry if I sounded accusing with the four year thing, I just keep reading everyone saying that and its really been annoying me, as most people keep saying that its exactly what he's demanding. Part of me is still wondering the amount that they may be offering which may be causing some of the issues too if it is lower than we seem to be thinking (i.e. 3 mill/year rather than 5). I've thought before that Portzline insinuates/commentates too much when he's reporting, but that's just my opinion, which this time, I think might be making this contract disagreement out to be more than it is - a player wanting term and management wanting a bridge which seems to be a common dispute in recent years.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The toughest thing to find in the NHL today is a big center with excellent two-way skill. Look at Jonathan Toews, who's hit 30 goals twice and 70 points once, and is going into the last year of a contract that will have netted him over $30 million. There are whispers that he's looking for a max contract, which has never been done in the NHL. And he's hit 30 goals twice and 70 points once.

To be fair, I think you're not really giving Toews the credit he deserves in regards to his offensive ability. 29 goals in 59 games in 11/12 and 23 goals in 47 games in 12/13. If he consistently played 80 games a year he'd have 3 or 4 more 30+ goal seasons under his belt. He's just shy of being a point per game player in the regular season AND playoffs while being a 3 time nominee and 1 time winner of the Selke.

I do understand what your point is, though, and it is very true that these kinds of players can demand that kind of salary/term and not be a Crosby or Ovechkin. I just think players of Toews caliber aren't as far behind them as you make it seem.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't necessarily disagree but there is some advantage to the 2 year term which gives the team another opportunity at extending while the player is still an RFA. Jarmo's apparent strategy is to delay the long term commitment for as long as possible.

Now if Joey had put up three good to great seasons rather than one, then I'm guessing a long term now would not be an issue.

With a 21 year old, unless his name is Sidney Crosby or Patrick Kane, 3 or even 2 great years isn't going to be a realistic expectation. Younger players tend to get paid on what one expects them to do as they reach their potential and vets tend to get paid for what they've done in the past.

Watching Johansen blossom last season into a player who gives every indication of being an elite two way center gave Jarmo an opportunity to strike while his negotiating position was at its strongest and he failed to do so.

As you pointed out, it is possible all could work for the best-contract term wise-if Johansen ends up signing a bridge, continues to play well and then signs a 7 or 8 year deal.

I think there's a lot of hindsight bias going on here. That said, I would have supported a long term deal at $4m for Johansen back in midseason. That's not that much of a risk.

No doubt. Nonetheless, both Bob and Johansen opened their contract years strongly and never let up. Each's high level of play was firmly established by the midway point of the season and Jarmo didn't make hay while the sun was shining with either. If he missed one, so be it. Bob's breakout season was during a shortened season, so I'd have to be fair and grant Jarmo at least a semi pass on this one. Missing an identical opportunity with perhaps even a higher echelon player just one year later doesn't reflect well on his contract strategy with good, young players.

Perhaps it's an organizational issue (the unyielding bridge contract approach with young RFAs) which needed Davidson and/or ownership to adjust his/their thinking in order for Jarmo to have the leverage needed to extend either Bob or Johansen during the final year of their ELCs.

I have no doubt that this won't occur again with (hopefully) the next high achiever on the CBJ who is in his ELC contract year. At the end of the day, the only negatives to come out of the Bob and Johansen situations is that the team will have to part with more money than they would have had these players been extended earlier. They'll both be signed long term.

Last edited:

IHeartZherdev*

Not the first time johansen has come off overly entitled (calling the bridge offer disrespectful and a slap in the face)… he has an attitude problem that people ignored because he was putting up 30 goals in a contract year. By practically demanding a contract until his RFA years end, he has made his intentions clear enough. Maybe he changes his mind during the next 4 years and falls in love with ohio, maybe not.

If a good trade comes along I'd take it based on his attitude … not some dinky offer of a 1st and mediocre prospect + clarke macarthur… but a trade for a comparable player signed long term. someone (skill-wise) like ROR, pavelski, mackinnon, RNH, or a LW like JVR, Benn - someone who can fill the offensive gap while also under 30 and signed 4+ years. Otherwise he can see if davidson will let him cry his way out like turris (doubt it) … or he can just play his RFA years for CBJ.

In the mean time, maybe dubie and JJ can break him down and re-build him as a young man who is not full of himself….

This all from a couple hack portzline articles and one quote? Or do you have other sources?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Has anyone taken a step back and maybe considered that Joey didn't mean "a slap in the face" as harshly as it came off? I mean, it did sound harsh, especially considering how players always stay reserved or talk in cliches. But maybe he really didn't mean for it to sound that bad?

IHeartZherdev*

go back through the springfield threads, it was talked about by ppl that were there to witness it...

who cares what happened in Springfield 2 years ago? people really need to move past that nonsense.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
i don't think its as big of a deal as some are making it into being, but you have to admit, there's a line of history to be worried about...

I was worried about him quitting in Springfield. I wasn't a fan of the comments to the Dispatch. That's about it for me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't like nor do I understand the reasoning with playing hardball with your offensive cornerstone. Yeah, you own him for the foreseeable future, but what about when his UFA time comes?

If he's so important, ask yourself... When do you want him to become a UFA sooner rather than later? A bridge deal could keep him as a Jacket for his prime. If not, I want the 8 year deal now. Not saying you have said this but the thought of paying him big bucks on a 4 or 5 year deal is flat out stupid and JK should be let go if it comes to that. It's either in 8 years or 10 or 11 years.

Why are you jumping to "playing hardball"? I'm curious. The bridge deal may not be what the player wants, however, it isn't a complete negative. He'll get paid and then cash in again on a longer, bigger deal after that. There is long term financial risk to the CBJ with this too. The upside is that in 2-3 years we know what we have and can act accordingly.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Has anyone taken a step back and maybe considered that Joey didn't mean "a slap in the face" as harshly as it came off? I mean, it did sound harsh, especially considering how players always stay reserved or talk in cliches. But maybe he really didn't mean for it to sound that bad?

Who cares? It was a dumb statement.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
perhaps people have already forgotten the Deal Scott Howson gave Derrick Brassard after a very good 30 or something game stretch a few years back (the season that he separated a shoulder or broke his arm or whatever against James Neal) I believe the deal came a full year before Brassard was arbitration eligible. no way he is getting that amount yearly. everyone lauded Howson for being so proactive and actually starting comparing the philosophy to the early and mid nineties Cleveland Indians.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I think the test of that is if we hear any more from Ryan. If the comments were a tactic orchestrated by his agent, maybe he'll continue to toss firebombs. If he went off on his own, perhaps his agent will advise him to stay out of reach of the media. I tend to believe the latter, because I just don't think a competent agent would encourage a 21 year old to attract that kind of heat from his fanbase. We'll see.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I think the test of that is if we hear any more from Ryan. If the comments were a tactic orchestrated by his agent, maybe he'll continue to toss firebombs. If he went off on his own, perhaps his agent will advise him to stay out of reach of the media. I tend to believe the latter, because I just don't think a competent agent would encourage a 21 year old to attract that kind of heat from his fanbase. We'll see.

I would like to think he would have tailored that message a little better if he had stayed in Columbus for off season workouts. Again, it was his decision not to and he was under no contractual obligation to do it, but too much smoke is being made of that for there not to be at least a small fire.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

I am guessing his agent spit out his Cheerios when he read Joey's quotes. I'll bet he has been roped in and will not be making any more comments until the bridge is done.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->