Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If he wants long term, at this point, I'll give him his full 8 year term, at 5.5 million a season. But my main requirement would be no NTC and no NMC. You want the term and the money? You get none of the perks since you wouldn't work with us and acted like a petulant child in the press.

NTC and NMC clauses can't be applied until after 7 years of service I believe. If it were an 8 year deal he could only be covered on the last 4 years. It was why Jeff Carter could be traded within his massive deal. His NTC hadn't kicked in yet.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I do wonder if this whole bridge contract stance might be a setup by the Jackets. You have Johansen yelling about term, while you are telling him to prove it. Now that he publicly wants a long term deal you can move off the bridge deal and too a long term contract loaded with performance bonuses (30 goals, 40 goals, 80 points, etc) this ends up protecting you by keeping real $ down and ensuring that the player with suspect history will keep playing up to potential.

I'm not saying that is what Zito and Jarno are doing, but that is what I would do in their shoes. It's not they don't want him locked up so it's not the term itself that is an inherit problem it's the worry that he won't keep improving if you give him term and $, a bonus heavy contract would fix a lot of this.

However, it sounds like Joey is asking for a 4 year deal (If Portzline is correct). That's the worst possible scenario for the CBJ. I'm sure I'm over the top here but wanting a 4 year deal, to me, seems like the fastest way out of the organization and to getting a significant pay day. I simply don't like what I'm hearing and I know others want to discount his stint in the AHL(benching) and a few other choice comments he's had along the way but I worry this kid is a bit of a headache. :dunno:

I know it's a negotiation but it seems as though it got ugly quick and went to the media way too soon for my liking. I'm sure I'm reading the tea leaves wrong but that doesn't sound like a team first guy. Sounds like a me first guy. I'm sure it gets worked out but I do not have a good feeling about this. The good news is, I don't think you offer sheet a player for a 4 year deal at the price it would take to not match it. I don't see an offer sheet at all but maybe we have our own ROR...

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
One last point to ponder....

CBJ have only had one other "franchise player" in history and at the time the team was not very good and the CBA was different. With a young, good team, this negotiation is somewhat precedent setting for the CBJ and this FO. Given our anticipated deep prospect pool and the number of good players moving forward this negotiation could be tricky for future contracts as well. This can set the table for future players one way or another. I think a firm stance is needed but not at the complete alienation of the player obviously.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think a lot is being made out of one quote. We don't know full context, porty is just going to use the quotes that make the article. I in no way think we are "alienating the player" its a negotiation and it'll work out. He's not going to get 4 yrs...if he does, its a complete fail on mgmt here, and we might as well go find another center to groom to take over.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
However, it sounds like Joey is asking for a 4 year deal (If Portzline is correct). That's the worst possible scenario for the CBJ. I'm sure I'm over the top here but wanting a 4 year deal, to me, seems like the fastest way out of the organization and to getting a significant pay day. I simply don't like what I'm hearing and I know others want to discount his stint in the AHL(benching) and a few other choice comments he's had along the way but I worry this kid is a bit of a headache. :dunno:

I know it's a negotiation but it seems as though it got ugly quick and went to the media way too soon for my liking. I'm sure I'm reading the tea leaves wrong but that doesn't sound like a team first guy. Sounds like a me first guy. I'm sure it gets worked out but I do not have a good feeling about this. The good news is, I don't think you offer sheet a player for a 4 year deal at the price it would take to not match it. I don't see an offer sheet at all but maybe we have our own ROR...

I think you are pretty right in your thinking. I could see an offer sheet coming, at the level that it costs a 1,2,3. That is hardly a steep price to pay for a guy like Joey. On the other hand I am 99% sure we match that kind of a deal. The only one I think we hesitate to match is the 4 1's if someone is dumb enough to offer 8.5 a year.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
There is no way that Columbus can allow a 21 year old impact forward to walk as an RFA because they can't replace him. For that reason, it makes no sense to make offers that would force him to consider that or allow other teams to think that Columbus wouldn't match. The Jackets are not spending any time trying to lure free agents. They need to spend their free time getting Johansen signed.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
They need to spend their free time getting Johansen signed.

Yes because of the impasse of term is going to solve itself by simply spending more time on it. Someone is going to have to blink or someone is going to need to sign him to an offer sheet. If neither happens, we get arbitration on a one year deal and we do this again next season.

Let's say the Jackets had given 7 million to Stastny and Johansen became concerned - would the situation be any different? Had the Jackets went over the cap because of a team having to match, they would have simply traded AA (as an example) to get back under the cap.

This wasn't hard.

What I am taking out of this, as a positive, is that Johansen does want to stay in Columbus. If he wanted another team, just sign the bridge deal to force his way out sooner.

Last edited:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

I agree with pretty much everything though I haven't heard anything about him targeting 4 years. Honestly if he is targeting a contract to take him to UFA then I would try and orchestrate a sign and trade because he obviously doesn't want to be here, and is going to drive his price up and go to a big market team.

Nicky1992

Jun 29, 2014

I don't think that he was asking specifically for 4 years, just a longer term contract than a bridge which is usually 1-3 years. And I do think he wants to be in Columbus, he said that even before he was drafted (when at the time, we were reeally bad), just maybe doesn't get there business side so much. And not saying you're wrong, since I really didn't get into hockey beyond the college level until this year, but what are the comments he made (not the recent Portzline article) that you had issues with? I'd love to read them because you're not the only person who has mentioned them, and I cannot find them.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Alison ‏@AlisonL 11m
Kekalainen on Joey negotiations "it's a different situation with Joey versus with Bob-we want to push him...to the next level" #CBJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 10m
Kekalainen confirmed on @TheGameColumbus that #CBJ wants to sign RFA Ryan Johansen to a short-term contract.

Alison ‏@AlisonL 10m
Kekalainen points out that Johansen has had one good year...goal is to push him to get better. then sign the long term contract. #CBJ

CentreKeeper12

TheCentreKeeper
May 24, 2009
Columbus, OH
Alison ‏@AlisonL 11m
Kekalainen on Joey negotiations "it's a different situation with Joey versus with Bob-we want to push him...to the next level" #CBJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 10m
Kekalainen confirmed on @TheGameColumbus that #CBJ wants to sign RFA Ryan Johansen to a short-term contract.

Alison ‏@AlisonL 10m
Kekalainen points out that Johansen has had one good year...goal is to push him to get better. then sign the long term contract. #CBJ

What I got out of this is Jarmo wants to play hardball and Joey is more than willing. This could go on a while

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
What I got out of this is Jarmo wants to play hardball and Joey is more than willing. This could go on a while

On the bright side, Joey has the fire lit under his you know what. On the negative side Joey may say this another slap in the face. If Joey takes this as a negative, you have a point that this could turn into a Subban-ROR type of thing.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Of course you dont want to give too much entitlement to a player, but sometimes youre not in the drivers seat. Joey's a 21yo that just put up 30+g and 60+ points, the highest on the team, he's got the long term leverage. We're going to find out how good of a judge of character JK is

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Of course you dont want to give too much entitlement to a player, but sometimes youre not in the drivers seat. Joey's a 21yo that just put up 30+g and 60+ points, the highest on the team, he's got the long term leverage. We're going to find out how good of a judge of character JK is

I disagree, Jarmo is in the driver's seat.

I don't expect that this contract will be resolved until closer to training camp, so we might as well get ready for a long wait.

I realize that there will be disagreement here on how this is handled, but I agree with this approach in that a bridge contract is probably the best thing for Joey's development.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Jarmo's got short term leverage, but not long term. Its Joey's decision if he wants to stay or not when he turns UFA

Jarmo has long term leverage too. He just has to make this team a SC contender and our UFAs will bring their own pens to sign on the dotted line.:)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
“There were tons of teams throwing some pretty big money around,” Nash said. “If this doesn’t get done, I’m sure I won’t have a problem getting signed by somebody next summer. Things didn’t line up the way I anticipated them lining up. I thought we had a solid chance of getting (a contract) done, especially with all the interest they said they had going into this. If they want me that bad, they’ll get it done.”

Remember that? All this media posturing is just part of the negotiations.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“The more I played, the more we won last season, and I got better the more I played. I don’t see the issue.â€

Although I don't totally agree with Joey making these comments public, he is just making his point, which is a bit large of an ego for a 21 year old, but still... he isn't telling us anything we didnt already know.

If he wants to be a blue jacket like he says, lets sign him up for 7-8 years at 6m per, and move on.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Let it go to arbitration. Do it again next year. We should know by then what we have in Joey. Throw the big buck long term contract at him then, but only if he earns it.

Nicky1992

Jun 29, 2014
“The more I played, the more we won last season, and I got better the more I played. I don’t see the issue.â€

Although I don't totally agree with Joey making these comments public, he is just making his point, which is a bit large of an ego for a 21 year old, but still... he isn't telling us anything we didnt already know.

Am I crazy for not remembering this quote from when I first read the article? I remember the disrespect/slap in the face and thought that either he was right about the offer being low or I was just negotiations, but the above quote is a bit arrogant, which is something I never got the impression of with him. Not that he's wrong-we did make it that far because of him. Even the game Richards said he wasn't trying as hard as then others and his minutes were cut, he still had a goal and an assist, but I'd still like a little less ego if that's really something he said, not his agent.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Let it go to arbitration. Do it again next year. We should know by then what we have in Joey. Throw the big buck long term contract at him then, but only if he earns it.

I'm not sure Joey has the right to go to arbitration or the Jackets to take him. My reading of the CBA says a player who signs at age 18-20 needs 4 years of pro experience to be eligible. A year is gained by playing 10 or more NHL games. Joey only has 3 years.

ARTICLE 12 12.1-12.3
ARTICLE 12
S
ALARY
A
RBITRATION
12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.
(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set
forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(b) below:
First SPC Signing Age
Minimum Level of Professional
Experience Required to be
Eligible for Salary Arbitration
18-20 4 years professional experience
21 3 years professional experience
22-23 2 years professional experience
24 and older 1 year professional experience
A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL
Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and
December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional
experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season.
(b) Only Players who qualify as Restricted Free Agents as described in Section 10.2
of this Agreement, who meet the qualifica
tions in Section 12.1(a) above, and who have not
signed an Offer Sheet are eligible either to elec
t salary arbitration or be subject to a Club-elected
salary arbitration

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Interesting tidbit in today's Dispatch regarding teams that have a 1,2,3 and the apparent cap space to offer sheet Joey at up to 6.7 mill (or thereabouts)

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/07/03/whats-he-worth.html

Only 10 clubs have the draft picks and appear to have the salary cap space to make a run at Johansen: Arizona, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, San Jose and Winnipeg.

And at that level it is matched for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad