Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Hey Jacket Fans, I was wondering if you could help me out with a scouting report and season prediction on Ryan Johansen. I really like Johansen and I think he is going to break out this season but I haven' t had much exposure to him since his Portland Winterhawk days. I would love to pick him up for my pool team but I need some advice from the Blue Jackets faithfull before I do so. Thank you in advance.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't think anybody here knows what to make of Johansen. Very inconsistent at this point in his career. Outside of Picard he's our first #1 pick at forward that I have yet to see an offensive flare in outside of a rare game. We will see what he is this season, but I wouldn't encourage grabbing him unless you can afford a potentially wasted spot.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
How has Ryan played this early in the season? It appears that he is getting the minutes, but offensive production still below expectations?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For his career he is a .3 pt/game guy. This year for 6 games he has 3 pts so he is doing 67% better.:sarcasm:

Had a great game last night but needs to do that consistently. He's still young so there is still hope his offense will improve.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Well for all its worth here's my take on Johansen as of the moment:

For what he was advertised to be/what his potential coming out of Junior as(Joe Thorton lite) he has been bordering on bust status. He shows flashes of the offensive talent and playmaking ability that made him the #4 overall pick, however he has yet to put it together in the NHL. In his time here he has never dominated a game nor has he been consistently good offensively for any extended period. These issues are exacerbated greatly given that his line-mates are Foligno (not the good one that plays in Buffalo) and Umberger, two guys who have very limited offensive skill sets. If Johansen is going to break out this year, it will likely come after Horton returns, which hopefully will put a scorer on his wing (either Horton or Atkinson).

All that being said...Johansen is actually becoming a very valuable player to the team. He is an excellent defensive forward playing the toughest minutes of any center on the team. He has stepped up on the dot and become the best face-off guy we have. And while (IMO) all the previous statements about his offensive ability is true he is still a threat in the offensive zone.

In closing Johansen is very much a victim of draft position. If he were drafted outside the top 10 this wouldn't be as much of an issue, and outside the top 20 he would be considered the steal of the draft. However, he was drafted #4 overall in a weak 2010 Draft (outside of Hall and Seguin). From that draft pick fans expect goals and game breaking ability from a forward, Johansen has not shown any of that, thus the problem that many fans have with him (myself included). Add to that the fact he teases you with goals like the one he potted in Montreal and the fanbase is left wondering why a kid with such gifts can't take the next step and become a star. I honestly think he has the potential if guided properly and paired with different players to become a Patrice Bergeron type player, but he has a long way to go.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well for all its worth here's my take on Johansen as of the moment:

For what he was advertised to be/what his potential coming out of Junior as(Joe Thorton lite) he has been bordering on bust status. He shows flashes of the offensive talent and playmaking ability that made him the #4 overall pick, however he has yet to put it together in the NHL. In his time here he has never dominated a game nor has he been consistently good offensively for any extended period. These issues are exacerbated greatly given that his line-mates are Foligno (not the good one that plays in Buffalo) and Umberger, two guys who have very limited offensive skill sets. If Johansen is going to break out this year, it will likely come after Horton returns, which hopefully will put a scorer on his wing (either Horton or Atkinson).

All that being said...Johansen is actually becoming a very valuable player to the team. He is an excellent defensive forward playing the toughest minutes of any center on the team. He has stepped up on the dot and become the best face-off guy we have. And while (IMO) all the previous statements about his offensive ability is true he is still a threat in the offensive zone.

In closing Johansen is very much a victim of draft position. If he were drafted outside the top 10 this wouldn't be as much of an issue, and outside the top 20 he would be considered the steal of the draft. However, he was drafted #4 overall in a weak 2010 Draft (outside of Hall and Seguin). From that draft pick fans expect goals and game breaking ability from a forward, Johansen has not shown any of that, thus the problem that many fans have with him (myself included). Add to that the fact he teases you with goals like the one he potted in Montreal and the fanbase is left wondering why a kid with such gifts can't take the next step and become a star. I honestly think he has the potential if guided properly and paired with different players to become a Patrice Bergeron type player, but he has a long way to go.

What alphafox say.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
As I watched Johansen the past few games, I've begun to think Ryan at this stage is very much like a newer version of Manny Malhotra. He's big, he's fast, he's become very good on faceoffs and can play a shut down role very well. Much like Manny, Ryan can play up in the lineup if needed.

When Manny was drafted, a lot of people were expecting great things from him. After Johansen was drafted, the hyperbole started. So far, the only difference I see is that Manny became a team leader and I have no idea where Ryan is in this regard.

What we're seeing may not be his ceiling, but right now it sure seems to me that Johansen = Malhotra, and at 21 years old, that ain't all bad.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
taken at #4 overall i'd expect more, but yeah, he's starting to show he can be a solid 2 way player...may never be a 70/80 pt guy, but he can be 50-60 pts and a plus player taking out the other teams top players...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
As I watched Johansen the past few games, I've begun to think Ryan at this stage is very much like a newer version of Manny Malhotra. He's big, he's fast, he's become very good on faceoffs and can play a shut down role very well. Much like Manny, Ryan can play up in the lineup if needed.

When Manny was drafted, a lot of people were expecting great things from him. After Johansen was drafted, the hyperbole started. So far, the only difference I see is that Manny became a team leader and I have no idea where Ryan is in this regard.

What we're seeing may not be his ceiling, but right now it sure seems to me that Johansen = Malhotra, and at 21 years old, that ain't all bad.

taken at #4 overall i'd expect more, but yeah, he's starting to show he can be a solid 2 way player...may never be a 70/80 pt guy, but he can be 50-60 pts and a plus player taking out the other teams top players...

I can see the similarities with Manny, but I think it's still too early to try and afix a ceiling to Johansen as a player. I think he's not only much improved from last season, but there have been visible strides, particularly offensively, just since the beginning of this season. Will he become "Jumbo Joey," as we hoped? I'm no good at predictions, but I still consider that to be a possibility!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I think his ceiling is still higher than that of Malhotra, ultimately. But yeah, that's what he's doing well right now.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio

I think people forget that Manny was taken in the first round, #7 overall and the CBJ picked him up off waivers.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Not a fan of this comparison. You're either devaluing Johansen or overvaluing Malhotra here.

I don't really see anything other than they're defensive minded centers. Malhotra never showed flashes of offensive potential like Johansen did.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think people forget that Manny was taken in the first round, #7 overall and the CBJ picked him up off waivers.

you're right, i did forget that...but how many years later was that? Manny was on the downturn of his career i believe, not on the starting gates...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

...as a defensive forward. I'm pretty sure I still have the THN draft preview sitting around somewhere, and all it talked about was his defensive game. Considering the way that NHL hockey was being played at the time, a premium was placed on guys like him.

you're right, i did forget that...but how many years later was that? Manny was on the downturn of his career i believe, not on the starting gates...

Drafted in 1998, picked up by CBJ in 2003. He was 23 at the time.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Oh this got bumped?

I believe the latest scouting report read: "The Bomb Diggity". His first real US fans, en masse, where hipsters.

thebus2288*

Frankly I think a lot of you overrate his defensive game while underrating his offensive game. He's not bad defensively, he's a big lanky kid who can actually skate very very well and also read plays. I think he's a lot like Voracek in that he is more of a set up guy that as of now has had some issues getting the puck in the net. I think he's a little to cute sometimes with it. Saying that, he does have an unreal set of hands. The points will start to come as soon as he's put on a line with somebody who can finish on a regular basis.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Frankly I think a lot of you overrate his defensive game while underrating his offensive game. He's not bad defensively, he's a big lanky kid who can actually skate very very well and also read plays.

I can only speak for myself, but I said "pretty good" in another thread. How Richards has been playing him for the last 30 games, or so, is a testament to that.

Johansen is a two way player and getting better in all three zones.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Frankly I think a lot of you overrate his defensive game while underrating his offensive game. He's not bad defensively, he's a big lanky kid who can actually skate very very well and also read plays. I think he's a lot like Voracek in that he is more of a set up guy that as of now has had some issues getting the puck in the net. I think he's a little to cute sometimes with it. Saying that, he does have an unreal set of hands. The points will start to come as soon as he's put on a line with somebody who can finish on a regular basis.

I'll argue that he's very good defensively. Every time I see him in the defensive zone he's playing very good defence. Great at getting in the pass lanes and breaking up plays, tie-ing up sticks, muscling guys out of the crease when our defencemen are in the corners, smart on breakouts. My hope is that we can soon use him the way Hitchcock uses Backes- as both the top scoring center and the shutdown center.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
...as a defensive forward. I'm pretty sure I still have the THN draft preview sitting around somewhere, and all it talked about was his defensive game. Considering the way that NHL hockey was being played at the time, a premium was placed on guys like him.

Drafted in 1998, picked up by CBJ in 2003. He was 23 at the time.

People forget how highly Manny was rated. I will never forget this quote at the time of his draft:

"In six or seven years the Rangers will be building the team around him," says the 37-year-old Wayne Gretzky, one star who came through last season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Personally I think Ryan's main problem (offensively ) is he lacks offensive confidence sometimes. Something I think we are seeing him gain on an almost game to game basis. There were many times early this season and last where he had an opportunity to make something happen whether quick shot for rebound or him using his body to drive to the net. Instead he would just pass it. It's still early in the the season, but as others have said I think his defensive game is hid strong suite (he wouldn't be matched up with opposing teams #1 centers if his defensive game wasn't above average at the least. )and hid offensive game might finally break through if he Cam just gain and mantain his confidence level.

On a side note, evetytime I see that Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson line get a little ice time I die a little from happiness. Knowing that we finally have a entire offensive line, that we drafted, that I would be confident enough to put up against just about any other line in the nhl.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Personally I think Ryan's main problem (offensively ) is he lacks offensive confidence sometimes. Something I think we are seeing him gain on an almost game to game basis. There were many times early this season and last where he had an opportunity to make something happen whether quick shot for rebound or him using his body to drive to the net. Instead he would just pass it. It's still early in the the season, but as others have said I think his defensive game is hid strong suite (he wouldn't be matched up with opposing teams #1 centers if his defensive game wasn't above average at the least. )and hid offensive game might finally break through if he Cam just gain and mantain his confidence level.

On a side note, evetytime I see that Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson line get a little ice time I die a little from happiness. Knowing that we finally have a entire offensive line, that we drafted, that I would be confident enough to put up against just about any other line in the nhl.

Oh, my, a thousand times YES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->