Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky1992

Jun 29, 2014
I would like to think he would have tailored that message a little better if he had stayed in Columbus for off season workouts. Again, it was his decision not to and he was under no contractual obligation to do it, but too much smoke is being made of that for there not to be at least a small fire.

I think people are making far too big of deal of a 21 year old with no family nearby going home for the summer after likely seeing his family only a couple times over the season. Coming from him in a Columbus Monthly piece, "I'm a huge family person." Most likely he just wants to be with them when he can since he can't for most of the year. Management would probably like him in Columbus, but as you said, he's not required to be. And he's had a live-in trainer (from the CBJ training staff) before when he's home, so I'd guess he knows that he has to keep his conditioning level up for when September comes.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
but his family is in town all the time to visit him...maybe that plays more into him being homesick or whatever you want to call it...but they're here a lot to watch him play...

IHeartZherdev*

I would like to think he would have tailored that message a little better if he had stayed in Columbus for off season workouts. Again, it was his decision not to and he was under no contractual obligation to do it, but too much smoke is being made of that for there not to be at least a small fire.

He doesn't have to stay in Columbus in the offseason any more than Bob or Arty do (and they don't).

People like to go back to their home countries in the summer, it's not a big deal. He doesn't have to live in Columbus year round and it's insane to attack him for it.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Most players don't stay in their team's city in the summer, be it in Montreal, Vancouer or Columbus.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
but his family is in town all the time to visit him...maybe that plays more into him being homesick or whatever you want to call it...but they're here a lot to watch him play...

We're already at this point? Figured this "he wants out!" stuff would happen after the second round of contentious quotes.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
He doesn't have to stay in Columbus in the offseason any more than Bob or Arty do (and they don't).

People like to go back to their home countries in the summer, it's not a big deal. He doesn't have to live in Columbus year round and it's insane to attack him for it.

Not attacking him for it. But every media report seems to reference it. Even if it's just based on Portzline's speculation, it concerns me that this is being bandied about as being be one of serious reasons.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
We're already at this point? Figured this "he wants out!" stuff would happen after the second round of contentious quotes.

my point was nothing about "he wants out"

all I said was his parents come visit a lot, and maybe he's homesick...

IHeartZherdev*

Not attacking him for it. But every media report seems to reference it. Even if it's just based on Portzline's speculation, it concerns me that this is being bandied about as being be one of serious reasons.

By "media" you mean Portzline? Even if it's all 100% true and he was terrible 2 years ago in Springfield, who cares? How does that affect what we just saw from him this year and what he's capable of going forward?

Think Dallas is upset to have Tyler Seguin on their team even though he trashed his apartment during the lockout 2 years ago?

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
perhaps people have already forgotten the Deal Scott Howson gave Derrick Brassard after a very good 30 or something game stretch a few years back (the season that he separated a shoulder or broke his arm or whatever against James Neal) I believe the deal came a full year before Brassard was arbitration eligible. no way he is getting that amount yearly. everyone lauded Howson for being so proactive and actually starting comparing the philosophy to the early and mid nineties Cleveland Indians.

This situation was completely different. Brassard only played 30 or so games, and was coming off a major, season-ending injury.

Johansen just played a full 82 games, and was very consistent, scoring 63 points, and being the only player since Rick Nash to score 30 or more goals. In fact, other than Rick Nash, the last person to score over thirty was Geoff Sanderson, and that was over 10 years ago, and the last time we had a 60 point scorer on our team (other than Nash), was when Vermette still played for the team. (09-10), even that was four years ago.

Brassard had 31 good games. Johansen had almost 3 times that. The comparison just isn't very good. He was consistently our best player, other than maybe Bob.

I say lock him up. I know it's unpopular, but signing him now to an 8 year 6 mil aav contract is going to look like a bargain, even if he scores 50 points.

Even when he wasn't putting up the points, he still led the team in GWG. He seems to step it up when it matters most, going a P/G in the PO.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not sure how one decides to use the phrase "galaxies apart," but...

From Portzline - #CBJ talks w RFA Ryan Johansen have not progressed beyond initial offers from each side. They're galaxies apart on term / money. #stilljuly

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not sure how one decides to use the phrase "galaxies apart," but...

From Portzline - #CBJ talks w RFA Ryan Johansen have not progressed beyond initial offers from each side. They're galaxies apart on term / money. #stilljuly

Do we actual numbers on where the two camps are? Or are we just assuming things when we assume Jarmo's a stingy jerk and Joey's a greedy jerk?

Is Jarmo still around $3m-$4m and Joey at $7m-$8m? Higher? Lower?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So maybe Porty is getting info from a non-quotable source who is only willing to make the galaxies apart comment?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This situation was completely different. Brassard only played 30 or so games, and was coming off a major, season-ending injury.

Johansen just played a full 82 games, and was very consistent, scoring 63 points, and being the only player since Rick Nash to score 30 or more goals. In fact, other than Rick Nash, the last person to score over thirty was Geoff Sanderson, and that was over 10 years ago, and the last time we had a 60 point scorer on our team (other than Nash), was when Vermette still played for the team. (09-10), even that was four years ago.

Brassard had 31 good games. Johansen had almost 3 times that. The comparison just isn't very good. He was consistently our best player, other than maybe Bob.

I say lock him up. I know it's unpopular, but signing him now to an 8 year 6 mil aav contract is going to look like a bargain, even if he scores 50 points.

Even when he wasn't putting up the points, he still led the team in GWG. He seems to step it up when it matters most, going a P/G in the PO.

I wouldn't use Brassard as a comparable either. At the same time I wouldn't be looking for his next contract to make him a UFA on the other end either. Johansen has only produced at this level for a season.

Bob wasn't our best player last season. Not like he was the previous season. He really didn't get it going until January. He certainly wasn't in the playoffs, Johansen was much better in the playoffs.

I'd hold to my guns here and push for a 2 year deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
saying "galaxies apart" makes it sound like GMJK is offering 2m/year and Joey wants 8.5m/year

c'mon, Portzy..

Don't forget term (which we already know about) -> although a 2/3 year deal isn't a "galaxy" apart from a 4 year deal.

Unless a source said that, in which case he should have used quotation marks, I don't get "galaxies apart." But to each his own I guess.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
saying "galaxies apart" makes it sound like GMJK is offering 2m/year and Joey wants 8.5m/year

c'mon, Portzy..

Hard to expect anything more of Porty, honestly. He seems to thrive on this kind of thing. Anything for drama, I guess.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Don't forget term (which we already know about) -> although a 2/3 year deal isn't a "galaxy" apart from a 4 year deal. Unless a source said that, in which case he should have used quotation marks, I don't get "galaxies apart." But to each his own I guess.
A 2/3 year deal is a "galaxy" apart from a 4 year deal.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
I'm sure Montreal regrets doing a bridge deal with Subban. If you believe in Johansen as a franchise player doing a long-term deal is smart. Eat up a couple of his ufa years.

JD and company can't gush about how great he is at the end of the season and then expect him to be thrilled about a standard bridge deal. :laugh:

Joey should just let his agent do the talking. He really has nothing to gain making comments.

Overhardt is also Dubinsky's agent. I like to see both these players get locked up long-term.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I'm sure Montreal regrets doing a bridge deal with Subban. If you believe in Johansen as a franchise player doing a long-term deal is smart. Eat up a couple of his ufa years.

JD and company can't gush about how great he is at the end of the season and then expect him to be thrilled about a standard bridge deal. :laugh:

Joey should just let his agent do the talking. He really has nothing to gain making comments.

Overhardt is also Dubinsky's agent. I like to see both these players get locked up long-term.

I don't believe that he is a franchise player, not yet, at least. Show us another season of comparable or better stats and play. I just think it's too soon to throw the farm at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad