Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHeartZherdev*

If we are galaxies apart with RJ, should we contact Toronto and make a Kessel run?

Plenty of negotiations start with sides far apart. Then they, you know, negotiate over time and eventually a common ground is met and a deal is signed.

The idea of panic trading our best young player because he's an unsigned RFA in July is lunacy. Plenty of time to get a deal done and one will get done.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
If we are galaxies apart with RJ, should we contact Toronto and make a Kessel run?

Plenty of negotiations start with sides far apart. Then they, you know, negotiate over time and eventually a common ground is met and a deal is signed.

The idea of panic trading our best young player because he's an unsigned RFA in July is lunacy. Plenty of time to get a deal done and one will get done.

My lame attempt at Star Wars humor has failed. I feel shame.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Oiler fan here. Big fan or RyJo and think CBJ should and most likely will find a way to hold onto him. But, just out of curiosity, would this interest most CBJ fans…

To EDM

Ryan Johansen

To COL

Leon Draisaitl
2015 1st (top 3 protected) becomes 2016 if EDM gets top 3 in 2015.

I do get the hesitation in going long term big money with a guy who looked a bust 14 months ago, that being said, maybe he's finally got all of crap together, the kid could be a stud.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Oiler fan here. Big fan or RyJo and think CBJ should and most likely will find a way to hold onto him. But, just out of curiosity, would this interest most CBJ fans…

To EDM

Ryan Johansen

To COL

Leon Draisaitl
2015 1st (top 3 protected) becomes 2016 if EDM gets top 3 in 2015.

I do get the hesitation in going long term big money with a guy who looked a bust 14 months ago, that being said, maybe he's finally got all of crap together, the kid could be a stud.

No ... move along.

We wouldn't trade the right to select him for Jordan Eberle; we're not going to trade him as he's becoming an established player for a prospect and a pick with a ridiculous stipulation.

The cost for Ryan Johansen from Edmonton would be at the very least Taylor Hall and a prospect. I don't care how many points Taylor Hall (or any other Oiler) scored last year - none of them played in the playoffs or showed the breakout potential that Johansen did, and I think if the 2010 draft were redone today, Johansen goes 1 or 2 - ahead of Hall.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
No ... move along.

We wouldn't trade the right to select him for Jordan Eberle; we're not going to trade him as he's becoming an established player for a prospect and a pick with a ridiculous stipulation.

The cost for Ryan Johansen from Edmonton would be at the very least Taylor Hall and a prospect. I don't care how many points Taylor Hall (or any other Oiler) scored last year - none of them played in the playoffs or showed the breakout potential that Johansen did, and I think if the 2010 draft were redone today, Johansen goes 1 or 2 - ahead of Hall.

Bingo.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
No ... move along.

I love his game, more so than Seguin and Hall, but he needs to back it up with another strong season to make me a firm believer. I know Seguin is an allstar, and Hall has insane skills, Joey had 1 incredible season, but I can't forget where he was 18 months ago.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I think it must be our Ohio bred pessimism for anything good in sports, but there is absolutely no precedent for an NHL forward showing the skills of Johansen at age 21 to suddenly become average again. Baseball rookies can and do have career years as rookies since pitchers find holes in their swing and luck can allow too many balls in play to become hits. But the skills to do what Johansen did last year are not going anywhere. The only issue is whether he goes from being upper echelon (NHL All Star team good) to elite (Olympic team top 2 lines good).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think it must be our Ohio bred pessimism for anything good in sports, but there is absolutely no precedent for an NHL forward showing the skills of Johansen at age 21 to suddenly become average again. Baseball rookies can and do have career years as rookies since pitchers find holes in their swing and luck can allow too many balls in play to become hits. But the skills to do what Johansen did last year are not going anywhere. The only issue is whether he goes from being upper echelon (NHL All Star team good) to elite (Olympic team top 2 lines good).

Paul Stastny is a guy who had better stats early on and has now regressed; it does happen.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I think it must be our Ohio bred pessimism for anything good in sports, but there is absolutely no precedent for an NHL forward showing the skills of Johansen at age 21 to suddenly become average again. Baseball rookies can and do have career years as rookies since pitchers find holes in their swing and luck can allow too many balls in play to become hits. But the skills to do what Johansen did last year are not going anywhere. The only issue is whether he goes from being upper echelon (NHL All Star team good) to elite (Olympic team top 2 lines good ).

The skills will be there but will he bother trying hard enough to employ them when he is rolling in $, that is the question.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Paul Stastny is a guy who had better stats early on and has now regressed; it does happen.

Playing on a line with a prime level Milan Hejduk when he entered the league likely explains the stats. The skills haven't changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->