Confirmed with Link: Ryan Dzingel traded to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette, Alex Galchenyuk

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Been there, done that. Went to school at Clarkson (actually pretty close to Ottawa) and drove to and from NC a couple times a year. It's long and boring, but it's not a hard drive. You just get on 81 and stay there. With 2 drivers, not too hard to just trade off and push your way through without stopping at a hotel (which I usually did).
I have a farm up north (about 11 hour drive) and we drive up there and back 6-10 times a year. Worst part is going through DC, which many of you know all too well. Always a crapshoot and that stretch from DC to Fredericksburg always sucks even when there are no accidents.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My thoughts exactly. Most of the guys we've picked up were supposed to be decent already too I feel like. Not as many reclamation projects to assess this on for Brindy.

Skjei was acquired as a reclamation of sorts, though he was always a big minutes guy. Changing his play to get the analytics up to snuff, though, was a considerable challenge.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Skjei was acquired as a reclamation of sorts, though he was always a big minutes guy. Changing his play to get the analytics up to snuff, though, was a considerable challenge.
I personally don't consider Skjei and Tro reclamations. Sure, they are playing better now, but I considered them useful players when we got them personally.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I have a farm up north (about 11 hour drive) and we drive up there and back 6-10 times a year. Worst part is going through DC, which many of you know all too well. Always a crapshoot and that stretch from DC to Fredericksburg always sucks even when there are no accidents.

Always try to hit that one in the middle of the night.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I personally don't consider Skjei and Tro reclamations. Sure, they are playing better now, but I considered them useful players when we got them personally.

I would say that it's more difficult to turn a good player into a great one than it is to turn a bad player into a decent one. Skjei/Nino/Troch were more of the former variety. Guys with lots of ability that weren't playing up to said ability when they were acquired. Galch, IMO, is a similar situation, except his best years were a few years back and he's been passed around like a junk yard piece since. I certainly don't think that the 30 goal talent just magically disappeared. Guys don't score 30 goals in the NH-freaking-L without being hugely talented.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I would say that it's more difficult to turn a good player into a great one than it is to turn a bad player into a decent one. Skjei/Nino/Troch were more of the former variety. Guys with lots of ability that weren't playing up to said ability when they were acquired. Galch, IMO, is a similar situation, except his best years were a few years back and he's been passed around like a junk yard piece since. I certainly don't think that the 30 goal talent just magically disappeared. Guys don't score 30 goals in the NH-freaking-L without being hugely talented.
Okay, but turning good into great still doesn't qualify for me in the reclamation area even if it's a great quality to have as a coach or team.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Jog over on 64 to get to 81, or maybe 501? Don't know how good a road it is in that stretch. 95 is the devil's work. I'm from Greensboro, so I was doing 220 to 81.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jog over on 64 to get to 81, or maybe 501? Don't know how good a road it is in that stretch. 95 is the devil's work. I'm from Greensboro, so I was doing 220 to 81.
Yep, we do the “29 through Lynchburg to Rockfish gap, to 64 to 81” route often. Adds 45 minutes to the drive, but only if DC doesn’t have delays and a more relaxing drive. The trucks on 81 are a pain though, but it’s usually an easier drive.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Looking at the map and I'm pretty sure they will be eaten by some Appalachian cannibals.

purty-mouth-deliverance-smile-gif-16084688

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I had said Paquette was a good target for us to add some muscle. I figured it would be a 5th rounder or similar value deal at the deadline. Maybe a 4th if they ate half his cap hit.

side nite: i wonder if Geekie has fallen out some. Brindy didn’t play him for much of the third. Paquette becomes the 4C. Geekie back to the taxi squad as a depth piece?

this is almost certainly the reason. i think they want geekie playing more regular minutes in the ahl and now that the operation has started up again in the minor leagues, this kind of trade gives them the ability to do that without having to try to replace him internally and without it feeling like a huge step backwards for him. same with lorentz who somewhat failed the audition. that line with geekie and dzingle at the bottom had no intention. putting paquette down there gives it a personality. put him with fast and you have 2/3 of what should be an annoying 11 minutes a night for the opposition. not sure who slides to that other wing but a foegele wouldn't look out of place and both paquette and fast have enough to not make that line sputter offensively. hell, you might even see galchy with them.

galchy is at a career crossroads. he's going to come in here energized and he has the skill level to play high in your lineup if he's got some talent to work with and he's engaged. i think he's been the victim of his own success at a young age and everyone projected him to get better and that was as good as he was ever going to be. a little like our boy jeff over in buffalo. 27, 31, 46, 56 at 18, 19, 20, 21 and then everyone was like yes we've seen this curve before! 80 at 22 and he was already maxed out. plus the fact that he has a russian last name hurts him. he's enigmatic by association. but sincerely, it would be very interesting to see him get some time on a line with some actual jam and see if he can turn that into a streak. my guess is that our analytics guys liked his total shots attempted stat in such limited minutes and thought his lack of production could potentially be explained by shooting 6% to his career 12% norm. if you look at our team and sort by total shots attempted you get a decent picture of how we value our guys offensively. i think the reality that it might be europe if this doesn't stick for him should be a good motivator. if it works out we've then got a little more flexibility when mcginn and nino regress to the norm.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

97 south from Baltimore to 3 to 301. Take that down through AP Hill and you are usually past the worst of the DC traffic when you pick up 95 again.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Honestly, I think the big thing with Galchenyuk is that teams need to stop forcing a square peg into a round hole and actually play him at center, which has openly been his preferred spot. Create an unusually offensive fourth line, have him center it, and create all sorts of lineup mismatches against less-skilled competition. With Jordan Staal as an elite defensive 3C, you can play around with a different kind of 4th line.
Do honestly think there is a snowball’s chance in Hell that Rod “Selke” Brind’Amore would throw a guy who is known to be a tire fire on defense out there at center?

Pass me the pipe when you are done, if yes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My parents families are from Maine and my grandmother still lives in Northern Aroostook county. I once made the trip from Augusta Maine to Durham in 12 hours. Long drives can be fun...

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Chris Johnston just said on intermission he will not be surprised if Galchenyuk's stay here is short. Reckon he's extra depth and will get jettisoned when we make our deadline move(s). Unless he really kills whatever opportunity he gets of course. Makes sense given Waddell has barely mentioned him.

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I apparently missed out on this trade until now, but I like it. Dzingel is a great guy but just doesn't seem to play the type of hockey teams with aspirations want. Paquette is basically a poor man's version (not a slight) of Pageau, which is why I imagine the Sens acquired him to begin with. He fits the Martinook mold but can actually play center. Galchenyuk is meh, but decent scoring depth if we run into injury issues.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad