Confirmed with Link: Ryan Dzingel traded to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette, Alex Galchenyuk

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I’m sorry what??

Edit: ok that initial reaction didn’t have a lot of content.

I see this as a combination “favor” to a player and swing for the fences. Everything I’ve heard says that Paquette is washed, but if he returns to a decent form he become the 4th line center we need, which is a way better fit than Dzingel. Martinook moves back to the wing into Dzingel’s spot, and we just look a lot better down the middle.

Galchenyuk is an absolute lottery ticket (one that people have lost on before), but hey it’s a bet on skill. Dude is one season removed from consistent 40 pt production.

For someone that wasn’t really impacting the team or the game, it’s not a bad return.

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was never a big fan of Dzingle here, the fit just never seemed to work out. That being said...I probably would have just kept him seeing as it's only saving around 700k. I guess they're hoping Paquette can be another 4C option, but not sure why we're bothering with Galchenyuk. Wouldn't be shocked if one (or both) of the new guys hit waivers soon.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, sure, that's fine. Paquette fits the fourth line role better. Galchenyuk used to be decent. Perhaps he can rekindle that here, perhaps not. Depth that we need nonetheless. And I think we save a tiny bit on the cap, which isn't bad for call ups and later moves. I like Dzingel, but sadly never worked out how it was envisioned. Best of luck in his return to Ottawa.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
What do the contracts and salary look like for these 2? How will it affect us after this year?

I liked Dzingel but he could’ve easily been a consistent healthy scratch here without us missin much of a beat. I hope he is able to go put up some more points in Ottawa and get another decent deal in the offseason.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I should say, the shock of Paquette being traded so close to the season, from the warm weather, no tax Stanley Cup champs to the Canadian based league doormats might have been a big reason he’s played so poorly. We often overlook the human element.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think it was you calling for this a week or 2 ago, no? If so, good call. Or was it someone else?
I had said Paquette was a good target for us to add some muscle. I figured it would be a 5th rounder or similar value deal at the deadline. Maybe a 4th if they ate half his cap hit.

side nite: i wonder if Geekie has fallen out some. Brindy didn’t play him for much of the third. Paquette becomes the 4C. Geekie back to the taxi squad as a depth piece?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I've been saying for a while that Dzingel to Ottawa makes sense to clear salary.

Basically Paquette fills Dzingel's bottom-6 role better and Galchenyuk fills his PP role better. Upgrades both spots. Interested to see how Paquette looks.

Canes can bury Galchenyuk with little Cap penalty. So this saves a couple million.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
First thought is I assume this means Necas is good to go. Would be surprised if they signed off on this deal if he had a setback after practicing.

I like getting someone who fits better in the bottom 6 than Dzingel did. A loss off PP2 but you could use Galchenyuk in that spot so maybe it works. And if it doesn’t you can go for a deadline deal.

I thought Dzingel was a great gamble, but he never seemed to mesh with Rod’s system.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Geekie has ranged from mediocre to downright bad this year. I'm not giving up on him, but this could certainly make us better right now. Galchenyuk is decent enough as a depth guy. Maybe he'll find something in this situation that's been missing the last year+. He needs to do whatever he can to get things off on the right foot with Brindy to have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad