Confirmed with Link: Ryan Dzingel traded to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette, Alex Galchenyuk

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My reading of that statement by Waddell was that the salary savings over time is what will lead to the further moves. Specifically at the deadline. I think Chucky is either waiver wire fodder, a taxi squad position, or could be had for future considerations. He was just a throw in on Ottawa’s part that we now have to deal with.
Well... if you assess the facts and then logically deduct by them, sure, I guess.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ill add my 2c here. If Galchenyuk clears waviers, then he could be a guy they view can play 3C in case someone gets injured. He clearly still has offensive skill and does well on the PP. I think we keep him on the Taxi Squad if/when someone down the middle goes down.

I don’t really like seeing 2C and Galchenyuk that close to each other in a post.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Pretty sure you missed Lempo's humoring. There was no one traded to CAR with Reimer.

No, I got it. He's talking about Galch being treated like a throw-in and how Paquette was the main return. I'm just saying that Reimer got similar treatment upon his acquisition, because they weren't sure if he would even be on the team.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No, I got it. He's talking about Galch being treated like a throw-in and how Paquette was the main return. I'm just saying that Reimer got similar treatment upon his acquisition, because they weren't sure if he would even be on the team.
That's worse really. "We tried trading you, no takers. I guess you're on the team."

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
according to this article it seem ryan wanted a change of scenery just as much as the canes did.
Rapid Trade Reactions: Canes Add Grit, Depth to Lineup

Dzingel seems like a really classy fellow. I always like it when the trade requests are private and the team is able to find a good acquisition fit like Paquette was without their hand being forced. No need for the clown shows like what PLD pulled on Columbus.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Dzingel seems like a really classy fellow. I always like it when the trade requests are private and the team is able to find a good acquisition fit like Paquette was without their hand being forced. No need for the clown shows like what PLD pulled on Columbus.

I agree on Dzingel keeping it in house shows class.

But let's be honest. Paquette was available because he's been absolute trash in Ottawa and that was likely the only deal available since nobody really wanted Dzingel's $3M+ cap hit. Canes got a chance to move that and save money/cap space. If Paquette works out, even better.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I agree on Dzingel keeping it in house shows class.

But let's be honest. Paquette was available because he's been absolute trash in Ottawa and that was likely the only deal available since nobody really wanted Dzingel's $3M+ cap hit. Canes got a chance to move that and save money/cap space. If Paquette works out, even better.

I don't believe that this was the only deal available for Dzingel, particularly since the one year at $3.2M wasn't exactly some onerous albatross. Apparently quite a few cap-floor clubs were interested, but Ottawa was the only one that offered something that the Canes actually wanted, which is why Carolina signed this trade so early. HNIC analysts said last night that Carolina was inquiring about Paquette since the start of the year with their 4C situation being a bit unstable. So this trade isn't just about Paquette being bad in Ottawa. It's also important to note that Ottawa was a complete dumpster fire, Paquette just arrived as a salary dump after seven years of playing for a Cup contender-turned-champion, and teams knew that he was quite a useful player for good teams. Perhaps him playing so poorly for Ottawa, however, brought the price down to the point that Carolina didn't need to give up any picks, but it's not as if they didn't want him. IOW, both teams found a win-win and pulled a deal now. If Dzingel made his request public last offseason, it every well could've ended up with Carolina having to pay an asset in order to dump salary. Here, they got a useful piece instead.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't believe that this was the only deal available for Dzingel, particularly since the one year at $3.2M wasn't exactly some onerous albatross. Apparently quite a few cap-floor clubs were interested,

who? Waddell said they were talking to teams, but clearly none of them wanted him enough to part with anything.

but Ottawa was the only one that offered something that the Canes actually wanted, which is why Carolina signed this trade so early.

Ottawa offered a guy that was horrible for them . Nobody else offered anyone less horrible.

I’m good with the deal, but realistically, likely nobody wanted Dzingel.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Ottawa offered a guy that was horrible for them. Nobody else offered anyone less horrible.

I’m good with the deal, but realistically, likely nobody wanted Dzingel.

He was horrible for them in 9 games, after being quite the solid bottom-6er for 7 years, on one of the best teams in the NHL, prior to those small number of games. You would sort of understand why I would say that certain contenders, including Carolina, were still interested in him as a 4C even if they were low-balling Ottawa due to those stretch of games. Guys like him usually don't fall off a cliff by age 27 unless there's either an injury or some kind of mental breakdown that's going on.

I had also heard rumors about New Jersey and San Jose calling about Dzingel before the trade, but both deals on the table either had Carolina retaining salary or getting completely useless dreck in return in positions that weren't close to a need, and certainly not centers. Ottawa's deal was the best one by far, especially because Paquette was a guy that Carolina actually was interested in, for the reasons that I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But let's be honest. Paquette was available because he's been absolute trash in Ottawa and that was likely the only deal available since nobody really wanted Dzingel's $3M+ cap hit.

Let's be delusionally hopeful instead and agree that we got a trade similar to what Leafs fans keep suggesting on the trade board.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Let's be delusionally hopeful instead and agree that we got a trade similar to what Leafs fans keep suggesting on the trade board.

LMAO true! My point, however, is that because Dzingel didn't submit a public trade request, that Carolina had more leverage here than the typical situation where a player's agent publicly requests a trade.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
LMAO true! My point, however, is that because Dzingel didn't submit a public trade request, that Carolina had more leverage here than the typical situation where a player's agent publicly requests a trade.
I wonder how the particulars of such trade negotiations go, though. Some GMs are closer between each other than some others. They let on that CAR and OTT had been contacting each other quite a lot.

I mean, the GM probably is pretty open that we can't fit Ryan in the roster (which obviously the other GM has been aware of, what with him doing this for his job) and that he would like and we too would like for him to have a new start elsewhere. I don't think they play too much poker with it.

And obviously, if you were shopping around a player who should be a perfect fit in your roster, that should be much bigger red flag than when shopping around a player who vocally feels he should be getting bigger ToI in some other team. Is the owner insisting to get rid of him because he came to the training camp with a massive swastika tattooed on his stomach?

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He was horrible for them in 9 games, after being quite the solid bottom-6er for 7 years, on one of the best teams in the NHL, prior to those small number of games.

I said he was terrible for them (as in Ottawa) and he was. He was scratched for a number (4) of games on arguably the worst team in the NHL. He had no little-no value to Ottawa, similar to how Dzingel had little to no value to the Canes.

You would sort of understand why I would say that certain contenders, including Carolina, were still interested in him as a 4C even if they were low-balling Ottawa due to those stretch of games.

Logic would dictate that given where Ottawa is right now, if there were other suitors that would have offered a better deal (picks/prospects or even late picks / so-so prospects) vs. a guy that is a UFA at season's end, Ottawa would have gladly taken it. Instead, they took on more salary in the deal for a guy that is a UFA at season's end.

It seems pretty straightforward to me. Ottawa wanted to move away from Paquette, Canes wanted to move away from Dzingel, and they didn't have any better offers so they took it.

I had also heard rumors about New Jersey and San Jose calling about Dzingel before the trade, but both deals on the table either had Carolina retaining salary or getting completely useless dreck in return in positions that weren't close to a need, and certainly not centers. Ottawa's deal was the best one by far, especially because Paquette was a guy that Carolina actually was interested in, for the reasons that I mentioned above.

Right, like I said, it was pretty much the Canes only deal so they took it. Bad deals/retaining salary aren't really viable deals in this environment for where the Canes are.

Don't get me wrong, I like the deal and think it makes sense because Dzingel wasn't going to be used and Paquette will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->