Confirmed with Link: Ryan Dzingel traded to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette, Alex Galchenyuk

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
$4 mil on the 3rd pair into Svech's 2nd contract can't be what they anticipated when they made that decision.

It's hard to translate the thought process, though, from one made before COVID to one post-COVID. Having a six-deep defense is normally a great way to build a club if the cap is continually going up. No one could anticipate a global pandemic a year afterwards.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Member when Alex Galchenyuk was the 3rd overall pick? I member.

He actually had a productive first few years in the league, too. His bad defensive numbers bit him in the ass later on, which is why he's been passed around like a hot potato. They seemed to improve some, however, when he was in Minnesota, so I think that there's some hope that he can carve out a role again.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Ah yes, I remember the days when we were looking for that mystical "defense for forward" trade and the likes of Pesce and Slavin were proposed for Galchenyuk. Good times.

I like the zigging that our team does when other analysts tell them to zag. Too many defensemen, need forward help? Get Dougie Hamilton, and keep the other defensemen!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Paquette may not work out at all here either, but the fact of the matter is that Dzingel wasn't adding much, if anything at all. As we discussed the other day, he's been the worst G/60 forward on the team since the beginning of last season. Also, as discussed, usage contributes to that, but right or wrong, Rod wasn't going to change his usage of Dzingel so it didn't make sense keeping him here to be not fit on the 4th line at his price.

I suspect he'll get a lot better opportunities on a bad Ottawa team and will score some goals for them, which is fine.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Galchenyuk • LW
fss_cold.png
Ht/Wt:6'1", 207 lbs.
Born:Feb 12, 1994 (27 yrs) in Milwaukee
SCOUTING REPORT
His shot is lethal, capable of scoring from a lot of different areas of the ice. Has vision and creativity, and is adept at playmaking. Also owns pretty good size. Can make a major offensive impact in the NHL. Has some consistency issues that he must overcome to maximize output. Must also prove his durability over time, and he needs more work without the puck (and on his defense in general).
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Cedric Paquette • LW
Ht/Wt:6'1", 204 lbs.
Born:Aug 13, 1993 (27 yrs) in Gaspe, Que
SCOUTING REPORT
Is strong at both ends of the ice, and displays plenty of two-way skills (especially at lower levels). Also plays an aggressive game and doesn't back down from opponents. Can line up at all three forward positions. Is not a natural point producer in the National Hockey League, so his points are harder to come by at the highest level (particularly because he is often asked to play the role of a checking forward in the big league).
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
From here, they're a Top 6-ish forward away from being holeless up front. The Staal lines needs some offensive punch. A playmaking wing that Brind'Amour can trust to play matchup minutes balances out Foegele and Staal. Alternatively, Svechnikov can be that guy, creating the need for a worker bee type to flank the Finns or Trocheck and Necas (alternating with Niederreiter). That would leave McGinn, Paquette and a Martinook/Fast rotation as an energy unit.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If they are able to largely keep banking space before the deadline (not too many call ups and injuries), they'll be able to acquire pretty much anyone they want to at this point. Bonus, if we continue to play well until that point, any length of quarantine won't deter us from making a move. And it'd still be easy enough to include a guy like Galchenyuk in a deadline deal to free up just a bit more space as well if he doesn't work out.

Mathios

May 20, 2017
I get Paquette, 4th line grit energy guy, it's okay, not going to make that much of a change on our team, better than Dzingel, tho.

But I don't get everyone writing Galchenyuk off, putting him on the taxi squad for sure. Isn't he good for 30~35 points (on a normal season) with a bit of an upside on skill? We're currently playing McGinn on the first line, and yes, he's hot right now with 4 goals on his last 4 games but you know that's unsustainable. We also have Foegele on a line with Svech... I mean, any player with a HINT of skill would be better with either Svech or the Finns. I'll admit it's just stats-watching and I have no actual idea on how Chucky actually plays so it's an honest question. Isn't it a possibility playing him with aho and teravainen, or svech, or maybe even bumping Geekie off the lineup and playing him instead?

TL;DR: Honest question, is Galchenyuk that bad?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Defense never was his strong suite, and the offence has dried up in recent seasons.
Yep. I mean fact of the matter is this gives us an offensive option for the taxi squad while the kids keep getting playing time in the A. Chucky, Lorentz, Geekie in the taxi squad, Paquette slides in for Geekie on the 4th line where he's an effective energy guy and penalty killer.

Yeah, he was playing poorly in Ottawa, but I strike that up to disinterest in going there to begin with. I look at it a lot like what happened with Jeff Carter where he was shockingly traded from a contender to Columbus and was pissed about it. The second he was traded to another contender in LA he was rejuvenated, I get a feeling similar will play out here especially with an opportunity to stick it to his old team.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
As a Lightning fan I hated to see Paquette leave Tampa; now I’m both happy that he’s out of the dumpster fire in Ottawa and unhappy that we’re going to have to play against him.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the things Ottawa fans say about him. He clearly didn’t want to be there (who would?), but in Tampa he always gave 100% and was really everything you could want in a physical, defensive-oriented 4C. The only reason he was traded in the first place was to save cap space - otherwise he’d still be a Bolt. He’s not going to score a whole lot for you but he will make you harder to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad