Confirmed with Link: Ryan Dzingel traded to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette, Alex Galchenyuk

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Chris Johnston just said on intermission he will not be surprised if Galchenyuk's stay here is short. Reckon he's extra depth and will get jettisoned when we make our deadline move(s). Unless he really kills whatever opportunity he gets of course. Makes sense given Waddell has barely mentioned him.
I think Waddell even said in pre-game that Gally allows for "further moves".

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I didn't go through all 6 pages, but we can't underestimate the impact Rod might have on one or both of these players. Maybe they continue to suck no matter what, but it's also possible they find their game again under his leadership.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I didn't go through all 6 pages, but we can't underestimate the impact Rod might have on one or both of these players. Maybe they continue to suck no matter what, but it's also possible they find their game again under his leadership.

I wouldn’t read too much into Paquette’s brief time in Ottawa.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I do wonder if there's another trade in the works with Galchenyuk tomorrow. Perhaps one of Anaheim/San Jose/LA acquires him for an (ideally RHed) depth defenseman, say, maybe Hakanpaa from Anaheim? Apparently Paquette was the piece that the Canes really coveted, according to some guys on Hockey Night in Canada. Which makes sense, because our only true roster "hole" (and I chuckle a bit calling that a hole) was at 4C.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Trade Galch for whatever futures you can get. I'd happily take a 4th. Our lineup is packed as it is.

Yup. And I’m happy to get even more cap relief. A trade for a middling pick and no retention would save like another $1m on the cap and give us some decent flexibility to make another move down the road if needed.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I still think the short stay is more aimed towards the deadline. If they planned on trading him that fast they probably would tell him to stay put instead of driving to Raleigh. Guess we'll see.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
As awesome as it would be to see galchenyuk come back to form here I wonder if he even has a spot as things are now. If they're ready to go tomorrow the lines may shake out like:

Mcginn aho turbo
Nino trocheck necas
Svechnikov Staal Foegele
Martinook Paquette fast

I'm still skeptical of mcginn on the first line long term but it hasn't been broke so no need to fix it for now. Where else would he go?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I could see Galchenyuk not playing right away but I think he's still decent NHL depth you can put in a scoring role if guys are out again. Might be better than the Drew Shore's and Sheldon Rempal's of the world until we make some deadline moves. At that point he just takes Dzingel's place as the guy I had most pegged to leave in a deadline trade for cap dump purposes.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I could see Galchenyuk not playing right away but I think he's still decent NHL depth you can put in a scoring role if guys are out again. Might be better than the Drew Shore's and Sheldon Rempal's of the world until we make some deadline moves. At that point he just takes Dzingel's place as the guy I had most pegged to leave in a deadline trade for cap dump purposes.

With all his supposed faults, Galchenyuk still has a bunch of offensive skill, and I could see him carving out a role on PP2, if there are injuries. I agree, he’s certainly not bumping anyone out of the current lineup, but I think he’s a better depth option than a Geekie or Rempal for sure. I’d be surprised if they don’t at least give him a look over the next few weeks. Lorentz, I think, has earned the first guy up for injuries roles at the moment.

They also gave Reimer the same no recognition treatment when he was acquired for Darling. It was thought at the time that he too would be traded shortly after being acquired, but look how that turned out. He’s a big part of the current team. I’m not saying I expect Galchenyuk to stick around, but he’s cheap enough and skilled enough to at least see what you have in him.

I say all that, and now watch the front office turn him into a depth D or mid round pick in the very near future.

To add, thinking out loud, I wonder if the Coyotes might be interested in re-acquiring Galchenyuk, I could see the Canes being interested in Demers on D or Ranta. Salary would be tough to sort out there but maybe something to keep an eye on...

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
With all his supposed faults, Galchenyuk still has a bunch of offensive skill, and I could see him carving out a role on PP2, if there are injuries. I agree, he’s certainly not bumping anyone out of the current lineup, but I think he’s a better depth option than a Geekie or Rempal for sure. I’d be surprised if they don’t at least give him a look over the next few weeks. Lorentz, I think, has earned the first guy up for injuries roles at the moment.

They also gave Reimer the same no recognition treatment when he was acquired for Darling. It was thought at the time that he too would be traded shortly after being acquired, but look how that turned out. He’s a big part of the current team. I’m not saying I expect Galchenyuk to stick around, but he’s cheap enough and skilled enough to at least see what you have in him.

I say all that, and now watch the front office turn him into a depth D or mid round pick in the very near future.

To add, thinking out loud, I wonder if the Coyotes might be interested in re-acquiring Galchenyuk, I could see the Canes being interested in Demers on D or Ranta. Salary would be tough to sort out there but maybe something to keep an eye on...

That's true. Canes probably will take their time, just like they did with Reimer. Maybe they find something good here like they did with Reimer.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

This may have aged poorly:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
This may have aged poorly:

I actually don't know about that. Outside of the goaltender position, teams have been really stingy this year about using the waiver wire to acquire players. Because of this, teams have mostly been using it for cap purposes to easily shift guys from the roster to the taxi squad if necessary. In some ways, it's actually more valuable in a trade if a guy like him clears waivers, because after that, he can easily shift between the squad and the roster, especially since his salary can be fully buried.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
We must remember: quite often a guy clears the waivers and then gets traded for a pick. If he was claimed, he didn't clear the waivers and couldn't be sent down. Letting the guy get cleared first seems to be worth a pick to the teams.

A fully bury-able salary actually has some value in a trade, so yes, having him clear waivers gives us more options. Paquette, however, was always the big piece here, as he actually fills a hole in our lineup. I mean, it's funny to call a fourth-line center position a "hole", but if you're playing Tampa, yes, having the best possible 4th line matters.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The "further moves" quote by Waddell makes me think he may be planned to be part of something bigger than a simple tweener for a pick trade.
My reading of that statement by Waddell was that the salary savings over time is what will lead to the further moves. Specifically at the deadline. I think Chucky is either waiver wire fodder, a taxi squad position, or could be had for future considerations. He was just a throw in on Ottawa’s part that we now have to deal with.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
We must remember: quite often a guy clears the waivers and then gets traded for a pick. If he was claimed, he didn't clear the waivers and couldn't be sent down. Letting the guy get cleared first seems to be worth a pick to the teams.

Possible. It's also the case Galchenyuk doesn't have a spot on the roster here. Paquette takes Dzingel's spot.

So either he's claimed or he goes to the taxi squad. If taxi squad he can still be dealt or watched by Rod to see if he's worth a shot.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Ill add my 2c here. If Galchenyuk clears waviers, then he could be a guy they view can play 3C in case someone gets injured. He clearly still has offensive skill and does well on the PP. I think we keep him on the Taxi Squad if/when someone down the middle goes down.
Yeah, I would agree with this. We hope to keep him on the taxi squad as depth and so Rod can get his eyes on him and work on his game, but you need waivers to do it. If we lose him, no great loss, but if we keep him we can work on him as a reclamation project in practice without having to count his salary towards the cap.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4