Confirmed with Link: Ryan Dzingel traded to Ottawa for Cedric Paquette, Alex Galchenyuk

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Geekie has ranged from mediocre to downright bad this year. I'm not giving up on him, but this could certainly make us better right now. Galchenyuk is decent enough as a depth guy. Maybe he'll find something in this situation that's been missing the last year+. He needs to do whatever he can to get things off on the right foot with Brindy to have a chance.

Geekie probably just needs more time to develop. He's still only 22. This is an exciting opportunity for both guys to (once again, in Paquette's case) play on a leading Cup contender and gives Geekie more time to work on his game.

One silver lining for Galchenyuk is that his defensive metrics improved considerably when he was in Minnesota. Perhaps Carolina can work on this and he can re-invent himself to stay in the league?

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Geekie has ranged from mediocre to downright bad this year. I'm not giving up on him, but this could certainly make us better right now. Galchenyuk is decent enough as a depth guy. Maybe he'll find something in this situation that's been missing the last year+. He needs to do whatever he can to get things off on the right foot with Brindy to have a chance.
this is pretty much where I was going with my thoughts about the trade.

the image of Geekie falling on his face in the paint in front of James Reimer the other night while Mark Pysyk waltzed in and picked a corner, followed by Geekie sitting for the rest of the night, made me think this trade is "yeah Geekie ain't it right now" combined with wanting to do Dzingel a solid as he sets up for another free agency.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I wonder if the Canes were interested in Paquette in the offseason but missed out. By Ottawa fans' account he has sucked and looked disinterested. But he is a pending UFA and he will be playing for a contender so ideally he sees it as a second chance and brings his aggressive, physical game.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I wonder if the Canes were interested in Paquette in the offseason but missed out. By Ottawa fans' account he has sucked and looked disinterested. But he is a pending UFA and he will be playing for a contender so ideally he sees it as a second chance and brings his aggressive, physical game.
That’s my thought as well. Paquette was solid for the Bolts. He didn’t suddenly forget how to play hockey when he went to Ottawa. I won’t blame him for being bad on a bad team when he was previously good on a good team.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think people are being a bit too kind right now.

Zinger was not a good player for us. The fit wasn't there, sure, but he didn't make the most of the opportunities that he did get. If we can get a consistent roster player who contributes even on a non scoring 4th line basis, that's an improvement over what we got out of him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
One thing that I'll give our FO credit for is that they will move and shake no matter how well the team is playing overall to make the team better. There is certainly some risk to this deal, however. By all accounts, Paquette was horribad in Ottawa. You have to hope that the Tampa Paquette returns when dealt to a Cup contender.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
One thing that I'll give our FO credit for is that they will move and shake no matter how well the team is playing overall to make the team better. There is certainly some risk to this deal, however. By all accounts, Paquette was horribad in Ottawa. You have to hope that the Tampa Paquette returns when dealt to a Cup contender.

The only possible risk is sitting different guys.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This is important to keep in mind when thinking about future acquisitions. A speedy winger that doesn't play with jam and that a coach doesn't trust defensively is not a fit for this current group of players.
Important to consider that value contracts should not always be pursued. They chased it with Gardiner and Dzingel.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was really disappointed with Paquette in Ottawa ... but hell, who can tell with how bad everyone was playing. He was noticeably bad tho. Galchenyuk just wasn’t impactful in any way...also he was not played up in the lineup. Still has a rocket one timer.
Honestly it works for both teams.
Yep. Fits what we need in terms of cutting nearly a million in cap and adds some grit to the 4th liner. Dzingle was better this season but still not the best fit here, and he's familiar with the situation in Ottawa so this is doing a solid by him as well.

I'll be stunned if Galchenyuk is in more than half a dozen games for us this season

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00