Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
What if we flip Talbot for a fourth, Chiasson for a third, would our second, plus those two picks be enough for AA?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think you maybe get a 7th round pick for Kassian if you retained salary. It was said at the time of the Caggiula-Manning deal that Chicago couldn't give away Manning's contract. If the Oilers get anything in return, its a huge win. My guess, you might get a conditional 7th round pick for Manning, again if we retain salary. The condition would be something like .... if he scores 20 goals, we get a pick, else we get nothing.
2 7ths is better than dropping out of the 1st.

The only way I do your trade is if Dzingel agrees to an extension before the trade and it's one of those trade and signs. That trade for a headstart on signing him isn't worth it

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Its not Dzingel for our first. Its dzingel + a 2nd + cap space for our first. It relieves us of 2 bombs that PC left us. We can buy them out and we can't trade em. It creates some options and we can still get a good player at the top of the second round.

That's a lot to give up just to get rid of two guys whose cap hits are pretty manageable.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Trading our 1st would be such a dumb move. It's more then likely going to be a top 10 pick plus that player won't need to be protected in the expansion draft.

Not trading are first would be an even dumber move regardless were the pick is .We have enough younger guys do you really want to wait 3 plus years for that draft pick to pan out or even flop out? Bouchard is probably 2 plus years away. We need to start winning now

Enough is Enough

Reactions: fuswald

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not trading are first would be an even dumber move regardless were the pick is .We have enough younger guys do you really want to wait 3 plus years for that draft pick to pan out or even flop out? Bouchard is probably 2 plus years away. We need to start winning now

Enough is Enough
The draft this year is good in the top 5 but seems to fall off pretty well from there. This is a great year to move the pick

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
2 7ths is better than dropping out of the 1st.

The only way I do your trade is if Dzingel agrees to an extension before the trade and it's one of those trade and signs. That trade for a headstart on signing him isn't worth it

Fair enough. I just don't see how a team that is this bad this year, gets any better over the summer with no money to spend. Things were ugly before, but Spooner & Manning trades/contracts made things WAY, WAY worse. Its going to take magic to work our way out of it. The only reason I go after Dzingel is he's fast, has scored 20+ in 2 straight years and I keep hearing that they need to make playoffs for business reasons.... status quo likely won't get them into playoffs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Enough is Enough

Hate to break it to you. But we are not close to contending even if we trade away our next 2 1sts for top 6 forwards

We need to make moves with the vision of a PROPER 5 year rebuild in mind. Once we try and shortcut it, well get screwed over again

Reactions: Zaddy

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
**** the expansion draft. No more "well we can't make this move cause we might lose someone in the draft. Every team is going to lose someone, you don't put your team on hold to do so.

This org is bad, you move the first if it gets you a player that can be a long term fix and deal with the draft then. If it's a winger then really we protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic, New Guy, Pulju?, Khaira?
Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse
Koskinen

Not that difficult

We can't afford a player that isn't on an ELC or low bridge deal right now. The 1st will be a high pick and cost controlled. I'd move the 1st no problem if we're in a playoff spot but if it's a lottery pick then there is a short list of players I would move it straight up or in a package for.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
That's a lot to give up just to get rid of two guys whose cap hits are pretty manageable.

It is a risk, for sure. Especially if Ottawa hits a home run with the pick. You still get an asset in the 2nd round. Might not be as good as the first rounder. Hopefully you can keep Dzingel too.
I think we're at $72MM for 9 fwds, 7 D, 1 G. We barely have a second line, no third line and no 4th line. So what's that.... $9MM in cap space to resign Puljujarvi, Chiasson and Kharia and a backup goalie.... that eats up $4 - $6MM of the $9..... leaving you $3MM to improve this team.
McDavid, Leon, RNH, Lucic, Kassian, Brodziak, Cave, Spooner, Yamamoto are under contract. That forward group couldn't score this year.... the D could defend or break out. I don't expect much improvement next year. Next year is looking pretty bleak.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It all depends on the UFA. If a Mark Stone or Dzingel wants to sign here, you find SMART ways to clear cap space. Moving out a Manning, Kassian, Benning for picks is fine. But moving a first to move out those guys is a big no.

If it was spending a 1st+ Lucic to get rid of him then that's worth it cause it helps greatly in the long term.

Yeah, only way I move the first as a cap dump trade is if lucic is attached, and we're still getting a serviceable nhler back.

Reactions: Little Fury

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
**** the expansion draft. No more "well we can't make this move cause we might lose someone in the draft. Every team is going to lose someone, you don't put your team on hold to do so.

This org is bad, you move the first if it gets you a player that can be a long term fix and deal with the draft then. If it's a winger then really we protect McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic, New Guy, Pulju?, Khaira?
Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse
Koskinen

Not that difficult

So f***ing gross

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Enough is Enough

Who are our young guys on ELC's with potential? JP, Benson, Yamamoto and Bouchard. The win now mentality is what Chia had and it's why our cupboards are bare and we got owned on almost every trade. Teams in our position don't trade 1st and prospects they hold onto them and make smart moves to build around what they already have. We already have a pretty solid core with Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson. We just need to make some smart moves to surround them with quality wingers while shedding cap. Then we let our prospects properly develop and we start building for a winning team long term.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Who are our young guys on ELC's with potential? JP, Benson, Yamamoto and Bouchard. The win now mentality is what Chia had and it's why our cupboards are bare and we got owned on almost every trade. Teams in our position don't trade 1st and prospects they hold onto them and make smart moves to build around what they already have. We already have a pretty solid core with Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom and Larsson. We just need to make some smart moves to surround them with quality wingers while shedding cap. Then we let our prospects properly develop and we start building for a winning team long term.

We won't make the playoffs next year with the current roster. If you draft and let prospects "ripen", then its likely a 3 year process to undo what PC did and get us back into the playoffs. If that's the strategy then I think you have keep the first pick and sacrifice the next couple/few of years. Not sure that'll go over well with season ticket holders and luxury box renters. That also means RNH, Larsson and Russell are UFAs or near UFAs. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm not saying your wrong. If the plan is to be patient and suffer through PCs mess and hope we can make the playoffs as a WC, while waiting on prospects and draft picks. That's one way to go. But lets not get angry when the team still isn't a playoff team in 2020 or 2021.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We won't make the playoffs next year with the current roster. If you draft and let prospects "ripen", then its likely a 3 year process to undo what PC did and get us back into the playoffs. If that's the strategy then I think you have keep the first pick and sacrifice the next couple/few of years. Not sure that'll go over well with season ticket holders and luxury box renters. That also means RNH, Larsson and Russell are UFAs or near UFAs. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Meh. I think a good GM could turn this around in a year. 19-20 is about making space and bringing prospects along. By 20-21, we should be in a good spot cap-wise with the first crop of AHLers (Benson, Marody, Jones, Bear, Bouchard) primed to start stepping in. Playoffs by then should be a given.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I'm not saying your wrong. If the plan is to be patient and suffer through PCs mess and hope we can make the playoffs as a WC, while waiting on prospects and draft picks. That's one way to go. But lets not get angry when the team still isn't a playoff team in 2020 or 2021.
It'll take years to repair what Chia did anyways. All of the get fixed quick schemes damage this team in the long term and will probably make this team a non playoff team in the next 2-3 years

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It'll take years to repair what Chia did anyways. All of the get fixed quick schemes damage this team in the long term and will probably make this team a non playoff team in the next 2-3 years
I don't see it. This team somehow is still in a playoff hunt this year

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We have the best player in the world, and you guys are talking about having a 5 year plan now???? this team has been trash since 06. That's 13 years. if we don't have a win now mentality we wont have player slike draisaitl and mcdavid in 5 years

Reactions: fuswald

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see it. This team somehow is still in a playoff hunt this year
Because the west is all about a bunch of teams playing like trash not wanting the playoffs. We are "in the hunt" with rebuilding teams who aren't trying to be good.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We have the best player in the world, and you guys are talking about having a 5 year plan now???? this team has been trash since 06. That's 13 years. if we don't have a win now mentality we wont have player slike draisaitl and mcdavid in 5 years
Bud they have 8 years contracts.

A win now mentality means we might have 1-2 years of good hockey and back to crap hockey. Which means they are gone at the end of their contracts guarenteed.

If in years 6-8 of McDavids contract we are winning and in playoffs he won't remember years 3 and 4

A bottom 10 team should never try and switch to win now .Too many holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad